Hey, I've just won £650,000 ......

Somgirl

Actually, I don't think I have really, but this is what the text message said that I received on my mobile this morning.

Apparently my mobile phone number has won this in a random draw in the UK. Strange seeing as my mobile is an Oz mobile.

Anyone else had this?

I got one about 2am ( Oz time) a couple of weeks ago telling me I had won a million pounds! All I had to do was phone a number and log onto a website....Luckily I was not born yesterday and declined to follow the instructions :biglaugh:

Yes, I've had these. Usually some sort of lottery that I haven't entered. I have also been approached by email by a man who apparently works for the UN, telling me that I have inherited a huge sum of money and asking for certain details in order to transfer the money, and I routinely get phishing emails to my work PayPal account email address, telling me that a PayPal payment has been refused and that I should click and enter my details when prompted to authorise the payment. I had one email apparently from the US government telling me that I had been looking at illegal material on the internet (which I obviously hadn't) and that I had to put in my details and pay a sum of money for something (it was a while ago so I can't remember what the money was for). I also got a phone call a few weeks ago from 'Microsoft' telling me that they had found some issues with my computer. The lady wanted me to log on to some website or other (that was definitely not a Microsoft website but something made to sound like it was) so that a technician could remotely fix my computer (for a fee of course, whilst taking my card details and infecting my computer with spyware or a key-logger).

I think the thing that makes me the most cross about these scams, is that they prey on peoples naivety to certain things. It is obviously worth their while in doing these scams, so there must be a large number of people in the world who fall for them. You can bet that it is the more vulnerable members of society that fall for them.

Yes, I've had these. Usually some sort of lottery that I haven't entered. I have also been approached by email by a man who apparently works for the UN, telling me that I have inherited a huge sum of money and asking for certain details in order to transfer the money, and I routinely get phishing emails to my work PayPal account email address, telling me that a PayPal payment has been refused and that I should click and enter my details when prompted to authorise the payment. I had one email apparently from the US government telling me that I had been looking at illegal material on the internet (which I obviously hadn't) and that I had to put in my details and pay a sum of money for something (it was a while ago so I can't remember what the money was for). I also got a phone call a few weeks ago from 'Microsoft' telling me that they had found some issues with my computer. The lady wanted me to log on to some website or other (that was definitely not a Microsoft website but something made to sound like it was) so that a technician could remotely fix my computer (for a fee of course, whilst taking my card details and infecting my computer with spyware or a key-logger).

I think the thing that makes me the most cross about these scams, is that they prey on peoples naivety to certain things. It is obviously worth their while in doing these scams, so there must be a large number of people in the world who fall for them. You can bet that it is the more vulnerable members of society that fall for them.

I have to agree with you. It makes me mad too that the most vulnerable are the ones ( that really can't afford to lose anything) that get taken in by this.

I have to agree with you. It makes me mad too that the most vulnerable are the ones ( that really can't afford to lose anything) that get taken in by this.

I was quite rude to the lady on the phone the other week, which isn't like me, but I just felt cross that had I been my elderly grandma or someone not quite so technically/computer minded, it would have been so easy for them to get the card details. Then I felt bad about giving her an earful, because lets face it, she is probably being paid 20p a day or something and has no other way of feeding her family. It is the criminal gangs who run these operations who are the real baddies.

I must've had about 20 of those claiming to be from Microsoft

I have some fun with them roflmao

I warn all my customers to be careful and to ring me if unsure

I set up their computers to be safe so definitely no issues lol

The text one was a new one for me especially being from the UK and it being a Aussie mobile account

Those microsoft ones can be fun to try and string them along on the phone for as long as possible. But obviously don't do what they want you to do.

The longer you waste their time the less they are ripping off some other poor sod.

Don't feel sorry for them. They know they are ripping you off and are lying to you so why feel sorry for them.

My 84 yr old mum has had several of these microsoft calls and she doesn't even have a computer. so they are total bastewards.

Don't worry, i'm not the naive sort, and I've been round the block once or twice, or three times even Lol! I have no intention of taking it seriously, but as others have said, it is worth their while, because they will get a percentage who unfortunately will follow it up.

Archived