Pet costs...figures anyone?

cutchibear

Hello all,

We are looking into the prices of taking our beloved doggie over to Oz with us...there's no question about it he's coming down under with us!

Just wondering if any of you who have already taken your dog over could advise on a couple of costs. We've been quoted two prices for two different packages and there is approx £1K difference in them.

I wondered how much it would be for the following things if we were to organise it ourself...so whether it would be cheaper this way, or if it just makes sense to get the pet transfer company to do it all....any help would be much appreciated!

* Application and payment for import licenses from Australian authorities

* RNATT declaration completion

* All veterinary fees for blood samples to be taken within 30 days of the flight (including sampling fees and lab test fees – we will send your vets notes and advise on the best dates for you to take Barney to the vets

* Lab fees for veterinary testing

*Required Tick and Tapeworm treatments

*Completion of Part A of the DEFRA paperwork including pre travel veterinary health examination

THANKS!!

• 2 weeks later...

We used a shipper, but used our local vet for the jabs etc (they were a DEFRA vet). Then we faxed/emailed the paperwork to them to check for us.

I'm glad we did because they picked up on an error in the paperwork completed by the vet!!! Easily fixed because Satch hadn't left yet, but it could have been a disaster!

I checked out the price difference if we did some of the paperwork ourselves and it really wouldn't have saved us much at all.

We saved money by taking Satch to Heathrow ourselves, but let them do the rest of the work. Keep in mind how much space the crate will require though - we've got an A6 estate (so not exactly a small car!) and only just fit Satch's crate in the back and she had to sit at my feet in the front for the journey.

Plus it took hours at the freight place - make sure you take some snacks and go to the loo beforehand.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

We used Golden Arrow. They were amazing. Just prior to us leaving our stupid woof, punctured his eyeball and required a corneal graft. Collection had already been arranged with Golden Arrow. They ended up boarding our dog (no extra charge, administrating medicine and vets visits, again, no cost). They treated our dog like one of their own. They sorted out our pet passport and I think all in all, we were charged just under 1900 pounds. We still had to pay for blood work etc but they took the difficulty out of everything. They completed all the paperwork, our DEFRA was back within 10 days. They sent out a time table of when to have the necessary blood work done. All in all, amazing and couldnt recommend them highly enough to anyone.

Pet air were fantastic when we shipped our two dogs over in November. Yes it is expensive using a shippers but worth every penny. We had the gold service. our dogs were collected from our house stayed overnight in their kennels at Windsor then travelled the next day. Less stress all you have to do is take them to the vets for their jabs, blood tests and tick treatment and the shippers sort the rest.

• 1 month later...

Archived