Anyone gone back to the UK that didnt want to?

Spherian

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has returned to the UK due to a visa issue or family problem when they did'nt want to and how did you find it?

I have been here for 3 years now and I love it here, however my visa will end in March due to work and if I cannot get sponsorship in this time I will have to go home. I really am looking forward to a visit home to see my family and friends but getting a bit stressed that I cannot return to Australia.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this boat.

Cheers

Can't you get PR after being here for 2 years?? Sorry, I don't know much about many visas as I came on a defacto but I got PR after 2 years and citizenship after 4. What an awful situation to be in. My brother had to leave after a year on a WHV when he didn't want to...he's glad to be back in the UK now though. When I first got here over 4 years ago I met a couple whose sponsorship was revoked as the company made cut backs. The fella couldn't find another sponsor and ended up going back. They were pretty devastated as they had come here to emigrate, unlike us who came for the adventure.

Fingers crossed you can get something sorted soon.

The only option I really have is a 457 labour agreement with the same agency - Bascially there is a job for me but in order for them to provide the visa I need a contract for 6 months or more... I will know more information around Feb so will keep my fingers crossed. If that fails I may go and study some more..

I do have a trade that is on the list but not enough experience to get a skills assesment..

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like we will have to go back my husband has lost his job as a paint sprayer and we have only been here on a 457 for 3 months..our container is still in customs so we cannot even start to organise anything..we really do not want to come out as we spent out life savings to get here (although we still have a house in UK) and we have to sell out car when it comes out of customs to fund our return..we are gutted, angry, sad, mad and everything else inbetween!!

Di

Can't you get PR after being here for 2 years?? Sorry, I don't know much about many visas as I came on a defacto but I got PR after 2 years and citizenship after 4. What an awful situation to be in. My brother had to leave after a year on a WHV when he didn't want to...he's glad to be back in the UK now though. When I first got here over 4 years ago I met a couple whose sponsorship was revoked as the company made cut backs. The fella couldn't find another sponsor and ended up going back. They were pretty devastated as they had come here to emigrate, unlike us who came for the adventure.

Fingers crossed you can get something sorted soon.

It doesn't work like that. I see from your signature that you came on a partner visa, people cannot generally get PR simply because they have been here for two years, that is just a partner visa thing.

I came back because my wife was depressed and I knew the marriage wouldn't last if we stayed. Flying back to Heathrow was the most depressing thing I've ever done. I did put conditions on coming back, and we have made a life of it. It does help that I like the UK. But I think we're both decided now we would return to Oz if the exchange rate was more favourable.

Careful with selling your car, I think you need to have been over her with your car for a year otherwise you could be heavily taxed, sorry, I could be very wrong.

Stupid question, can he not get another job? Sounds like a horrible situation.

Careful with selling your car, I think you need to have been over her with your car for a year otherwise you could be heavily taxed, sorry, I could be very wrong.

Stupid question, can he not get another job? Sounds like a horrible situation.

If a car was imported under the PIS (Personal Import Scheme) it can be sold as soon as it has cleared Customs. There is no time restriction. Tax is paid at the time of import.

If a car was imported under the PIS (Personal Import Scheme) it can be sold as soon as it has cleared Customs. There is no time restriction. Tax is paid at the time of import.

That's good, I must have misread it somewhere, so easily done, so many things to read!!!

My husband absolutely refused to even think about living inEngland ever, ever, ever!!!! Hmm, fast forward 5 years and here he is, apparently living his life, enjoying exploring the countryside with me, having a great time riding his bike all over, frustrated with the different skills needed for gardening, building his first ever snowman, appreciating the fabulous meat from the local butcher (he was always disparaging of English meat until now!) and the range and taste of cheeses available. He's also very happy that I am happy. He gets his "holiday" back in Aus once a year but otherwise he is quite content to be here for the foreseeable future! Like our son, he is utterly bemused by the English attitude to weather and whilst he is happier than me with Aussie hot hot days he has also been very comfortable with the cold days - still rides his bike in t shirt and shorts most days. This is the bloke that said that if HE had to live in UK then HE would be depressed (like I was in UK). I guess he must be just making the best of what he's got!

My husband absolutely refused to even think about living inEngland ever, ever, ever!!!! Hmm, fast forward 5 years and here he is, apparently living his life, enjoying exploring the countryside with me, having a great time riding his bike all over, frustrated with the different skills needed for gardening, building his first ever snowman, appreciating the fabulous meat from the local butcher (he was always disparaging of English meat until now!) and the range and taste of cheeses available. He's also very happy that I am happy. He gets his "holiday" back in Aus once a year but otherwise he is quite content to be here for the foreseeable future! Like our son, he is utterly bemused by the English attitude to weather and whilst he is happier than me with Aussie hot hot days he has also been very comfortable with the cold days - still rides his bike in t shirt and shorts most days. This is the bloke that said that if HE had to live in UK then HE would be depressed (like I was in UK). I guess he must be just making the best of what he's got!

Glad to hear it's all so positive, it took a long time for you to persuade him into something that he loves, just goes to show sometimes there's a fear of the unknown, but if you can grasp the opportunities and put a positive spin on it then everyone comes out smiling. :biggrin:

I think you will find if you go out on a 457 the rules are different than PR regarding PIS unless I was told differently as I enquired bu we are now gong out on PR

I think you will find if you go out on a 457 the rules are different than PR regarding PIS unless I was told differently as I enquired bu we are now gong out on PR

For the Personal Import Scheme you must meet the following criteria:

• be an Australian citizen; or

• have applied to become an Australian citizen; or

• be an Australian permanent resident (e.g. hold a permanent visa); or

• have applied to become an Australian permanent resident (e.g. applied for a permanent visa); or

• hold a visa that allows you to apply to become an Australian permanent resident (e.g. hold a temporary visa that allows you to apply for a permanent visa); or

• otherwise be entitled to remain in Australia indefinitely (e.g. is a New Zealand citizen).

My understanding is that a 457 visa can convert to PR, therefore is eligible for the motor vehicle Personal Import Scheme.

More details can be found here.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

Other than the PIS, the only other option to bring a car to Aust is a Canet, which is effectively a bond which allows you to import a car for up to 12 months and covers Duties in the event the vehicle is not taken back out of Australia at the end of the 12 months. The vehicle can not be sold in Aust.

Details here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx

For further info there is a large thread under the transport section of PIO.

Archived