Kingston - what am I missing??

Guest Guest74865

Guest Guest74865

Arrived in Canberra 2 days ago and currently in the process of getting familiar with the place.

We took a walk down to Trevillian Quay to view the new lakeside apartments with high hopes that we would end up renting here as we were told Kingston was the trendy, bustling areas with lots of nice shops/restaurants.

In reality we found it very quiet and very residential and also quite down market. Green square was just OK in my opinion and the Kingston Plaza looked like a post-apocalyptic shopping centre.

Am I missing something?

Guest Ptp113
Arrived in Canberra 2 days ago and currently in the process of getting familiar with the place.

We took a walk down to Trevillian Quay to view the new lakeside apartments with high hopes that we would end up renting here as we were told Kingston was the trendy, bustling areas with lots of nice shops/restaurants.

In reality we found it very quiet and very residential and also quite down market. Green square was just OK in my opinion and the Kingston Plaza looked like a post-apocalyptic shopping centre.

Am I missing something?

It's Xmas and it's Kingston, what were you expecting? Oh and everybody is at Summernats, why aren't you?

Guest Bazinga

Isn't Manuka the trendy bit? It's not my area so I'm not sure where would have a bit more oopfm! It's the holidays so bound to be quiet. Did you look at the area around the glassworks/old bus depot markets?

Though if you want trendy and bustling you are in the wrong city.

Guest Ptp113
Isn't Manuka the trendy bit? It's not my area so I'm not sure where would have a bit more oopfm! It's the holidays so bound to be quiet. Did you look at the area around the glassworks/old bus depot markets?

No Bus Depot Markets is trendy and very 'bustling', but not at this time of year. Manuka would be more upmarket and bustling

Guest Guest74865

I actually quite enjoyed walking around the civic area/bunda street today. Nice shops, clean, nice buzz about the place. Also briefly ventured into Braddon/Londsdale street and it seemed to have a few nice cafes and bars and also much more life about it than Kingston.

I really like the look of 'the apARTments' but they cost an arm and a leg and dont think I can justify $600-800 a week for an apartment

Guest Guest74865
I spent a month in Canberra one weekend and will never go there again. Most Aussies I know have never visited their capital city and have no interest in doing so.

Thanks for your input. Shall I go and kill myself now or later? Also, how do you spend a month in a place over a weekend?

Edited by Guest74865

Guest Bazinga

Life is what you make it. So is Canberra. I'm a London girl born amd bred, proper London not think I'm from London but really it's Kent and I LOVE Canberra and get enormously cross when people slag it off.

Guest Guest74865

I have got a feeling this is quickly turning into a Canberra-bashing thread which wasn't my intention.

My partner and I arrived just a few days ago and have been really pleasantly surprised.

Weather is great. Pretty good shopping in Civic. Some really nice looking restaurants and bars. Really green and clean city and can't wait to make the most of the cycle paths and ditch the car.

I have come to this conclusion about Canberra - Crap place to visit as a tourist - Great place to live.

Not so crap for tourists either really - lots to "tourist" around but if its shops, bars and restaurants rather than buildings and venues of national significance then it is a bit of a let down. Have you walked up Mt Ainslie yet? Best view of the city from there as you can seethe fundamentals of Walter Burley Griffin's plan laid out in front of you.

if you're still apartment shopping then the New Acton area is going to have more buzz about it than Kingston.

Guest Ptp113
It's the summer holidays. Canberra was built specifically for politicians and their bureaucrats...and they've left town. :wink:

Politicians live in their electorates except for ministers. Another with a poor education.

Guest Ptp113
If Canberra had a beach it would be perfect. Thankfully the coast is only a 90min drive on the weekend :smile:

Wendee - please note I said Canberra, not the ACT :wink:

Same thing. Oh and there is a beach, just no salt water

Politicians live in their electorates except for ministers

I know that politicians live in their electorates, including ministers.

What I meant was that parliament is not currently sitting, therefore pollies are out of town.

Another with a poor education.

What, exactly, do you mean by that???

hi

I grew up in Canberra and now live in London .

Kingston and Manuka are the best places to be .

it will liven up on Thursday and Fri night .

the city can be a bit rough for my liking . and too many odd sorts.

I bought 2 investment flats in the Carrington building on 4 Jardine street and one is becoming a available and will be fully furnished.

it comes with tennis court, 2 beds and 2 bathrooms and is high up on the 11th floor . it is an established building and is not a building site .

Please visit Dwyer dunn property agents on Jardine if you are interested.

we will be in Canberra a hols in March . It is 3 hours to snow ans 2 hours to beaches and you have a huge amount of sport to enjoy so get active and enjoy the sunshine!

We are seriously missing it in the UK

Good luck

Liz

s