Wanted Down Under - New Series on TV Jan 2012

Amaroo

Just watched the first in the new series with the Godfry's family in Perth. The BBC erred in not having this programme with sub titles as the family were from East Glasgow and only understandable every now and again. This family sadly could 'moan' for the UK which is what they did for the most part. Some of the things the husband said about properties that were obviously occupied were totally uncalled for on television when compared to their own property. No doubt as all the series have been, the BBC edit to make watchable. It has to get better than the first programme.

Just watched the first in the new series with the Godfry's family in Perth. The BBC erred in not having this programme with sub titles as the family were from East Glasgow and only understandable every now and again. .

If someone had said that about an Asian family there would have been a dozen replies screaming racist on here by now!

jeezo they weren't that hard to understand! especially the mother.

I agree about them slagging the property but that's up to them and the program.

I hear that some of the people who have been on the program are members on here so it's maybe a good thing you didn't say anything worse

Certainly not intentional to upset anyone, I simply wrote as I saw the programme. I don't doubt that to many people they would be understandale with no problems. The mother indeed was easier to understand, the husband was only at times understanable and their little boy I could not understand a word. I think it depends what part of the country one comes from as to how they understand someone from somewhere else. To someone like 'Scottishstacey' I would expect them to be crystal clear. As some families who have appeared in the programme over the years have posted at varying times on WDU,PiO and on other web sites what we the viewer sees is what the BBC want us to see regardless. I wish the Godfrey's well, I love Oz and visit for 6 months at a time as and when.

I watch the show as well , she said the big house and the weather would be a bonus it was family life they were going for, once they got to the house they were staying at she said I ll no be coming here if the homes are like this.

I did laugh when he said the pools the cleanest part of the house, even tho it was a bit rude.

I've just watched it and I understood them perfectly fine, their accents weren't the issue for me. However, I do agree with the OP in the sense that this couple (and I'm sorry if they are members here but first impressions and all that) complained about 2 of the houses and it was hard to see how they could give their own place. I know everyone wants to move to somewhere better but I felt they were quite disrespectful to many people who live perfectly well in exactly the type of housing pictured, me included. A bit snobby to be honest.

Guest guest76088

I never cease to be amazed at how rude the house viewers on these and other similar programmes can be about the way other people - even those they have yet to meet - live. Maybe they would behave differently if the house owners were given the chance to reciprocate and pass judgement on the (glass) houses of the programme participants.

It is (misplaced) snobbery of the worst kind that I suspect will exclude them from many-a-barbie.

BigD

well a watched the programme the day an a understood every word, totally agree though very cheeky boot ither folks hooses, nae need for haf o at said the day, jeezo lic o pint an yer ane furniture , sorted, hooses looked fine tae me ony y. a wud wint a pub close by though:laugh:

Did anyone agree or disagree with the finance section of the show? For example the weekly food shop was only £12 over the UK when just the three items listed would, in my experience, take it well over that from the off.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like it to be a positive swing financially but as someone who's planning on arriving down under in Feb, all my calculations put my family and I approximately 10-15% worse off in Australia despite being fortunately in a perceived better financial position than the Godfrys were at least portrayed.

I think Im going to have to watch this on the I Player :)

I love watching these shows, and then coming on here to see what people say about them.

The financial side of things they always show to me are rubbish. As in the UK, you live to your means......as long as you got the basics and got a roof over your head who cares.

I think alot of Brits think that they will go to Aus and live in a mansion while working half the hours that you do here.

All I seem to get off people is they cant wait to come visit, use our pool etc.....uhhhhh whos to say Im going to be able to afford a pool!! :) Its all the big Aussie dream isnt it!!

Just watched the first in the new series with the Godfry's family in Perth. The BBC erred in not having this programme with sub titles as the family were from East Glasgow and only understandable every now and again. This family sadly could 'moan' for the UK which is what they did for the most part. Some of the things the husband said about properties that were obviously occupied were totally uncalled for on television when compared to their own property. No doubt as all the series have been, the BBC edit to make watchable. It has to get better than the first programme.

Just watched it on iplayer. I am not Scottish and understood every word they said with no difficulty whatsoever. I thought they were very positive, they voted Australia for everything. The worst house I saw was probably their own, so I don't really know why they were critical of the other houses, but still it would be pretty dull if eveyrone wlaked through the houses saying "very nice" to everything. They said what they are feeling as I am sure they were encouraged to.

Well she stated when she got off the plane that they couldn't do that trip (flight) every year. So why when looking for houses is the extra room always required for visitors? Do they expect family to do the journey all the time.

Sorry but as soon as I hear comments like this, then it says to me that they have not really considered the distance and how the ties with family and friends will not be the same.

Well she stated when she got off the plane that they couldn't do that trip (flight) every year. So why when looking for houses is the extra room always required for visitors? Do they expect family to do the journey all the time.

Sorry but as soon as I hear comments like this, then it says to me that they have not really considered the distance and how the ties with family and friends will not be the same.

I don't get you, she didn't say that she expects guests to travel more than once a year each did she. It is human for people to want to have space for visitors, so that people feel they are welcome and so perhaps people are less put off by cost.

What is the point of having an empty room for most of the year, just in case.

I think it is rather derogatory when people comment on wanting a pool, lots of land and extra bedrooms. It is almost as if then feel Australia is a poorer country and they feel they can buy a huge house and pay less.

Unfortunately the ar$e has fell out the UK and OZ is the land of opportunity at the moment.

If we had a show that showed immigrants coming to the UK and they expected to land a top job, work less and buy a large house what do you think people would say?

Just watched it on iplayer. I am not Scottish and understood every word they said with no difficulty whatsoever. I thought they were very positive, they voted Australia for everything. The worst house I saw was probably their own, so I don't really know why they were critical of the other houses, but still it would be pretty dull if eveyrone wlaked through the houses saying "very nice" to everything. They said what they are feeling as I am sure they were encouraged to.

Yeah, that's about right. Their own house was tiny but B&Q'd to the 9's with flock wallpaper & cheap but new bathroom/kitchen. The houses they looked at were far larger, maybe not decorated to their tastes. I also understood every word, got annoyed at their opinion of the houses, which IMHO were way better than theirs, but overall they where good and I hope they make it over and enjoy it.

What is the point of having an empty room for most of the year, just in case.

I think it is rather derogatory when people comment on wanting a pool, lots of land and extra bedrooms. It is almost as if then feel Australia is a poorer country and they feel they can buy a huge house and pay less.

Unfortunately the ar$e has fell out the UK and OZ is the land of opportunity at the moment.

If we had a show that showed immigrants coming to the UK and they expected to land a top job, work less and buy a large house what do you think people would say?

They'd say "Watch Escape to the Country"because its about as realistic to the average person as WDU!

Archived