Still looking for a driving job: Mandurah to wherever...

DisillusionedScot

Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thanks guys. I can see your point about getting the HR license first, but what's the point if you're saying there's no jobs? The HR license is going to cost me in the region of $1K give or take from what I can see so there's no financial justification for me to go and get it if there's no jobs.

As I'm now too old to get a job back in I.T. management, I'm, eh, a bit stuffed as one might say. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from the replies above.

Oh, Taxis, no. I did that for three years back in the UK and even though I may be desperate I'm never going to do that again. The last shift I did was 16 hours straight for...£6. Too many drivers chasing too few hires.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year and then claim from centrelink, not much else I can do by the sounds of it really.

What about a takeaway driver? Good tips

Hi Ali, I've looked at the adverts on the back of the buses, I think I'd need a different license to drive one of those - and I only know my local few streets and the freeway! I think maybe they would really want someone who knew the roads better than me, but the main thing really would be the license.

You say you work in health am I right? Eh, I just spent three years working with folk with heroin and alcohol addictions in addition to mild to moderate mental health issues. I've spoken to loads of folk here in the AOD field and just got nowhere, even been to government level and talked to folk at the Dept of AOD. Tried all the agencies: Cyrenians, Hollyoakes etc, etc, but no luck. Would you perhaps have any ideas? Happy to let anyone have a look at my CV if they so wished.

This is sounding desperate isn't it. :-|

Alcohol and drug services here are seperate from the health authorities have a look at this http://www.cyrenianhouse.com/employment but you may have to travel

I'm agreeing with VeryStormy actually.We're not "Assuming"anything.You asked the forum for job suggestions,and we've offered them.I can tell by the way you replied to me,you've got a bad attitude!You might be fed up of not having a job but its rude of you to post back sarcastic arrogant sounding replies.You know what?I'm not surprised you havent got a job yet with your attitude,and until you change it,you won't either.Good luck bud!

No, you just don't like it when someone comes along who doesn't happen to agree with you. In what way, shape or form is criticising someone helping? PLease go back and read my comments again, they aren't rude. In fact I seem to recall I pressed 'like' on yours. You don't have to be so uptight you know.

Look, if you have nothing constructive to say then please say nothing. As for cleaning, yes, I've even tried to get as job doing that as a matter of fact, but I'm too old, over qualified and no experience. So please.

Mate I dont know you form Adam...but I fully get it....I am up against it and have never not worked since being 14 now 53....I have even applied at Bunnings, Officework, Coels, Woolies..etc hell Im not proud...im well educated masters degree, but drove a bus for a living through Uni...pathetic situation here and having lived in UK and USA always found work...they advertise they need people but by christ the reality is something quite different. As an ex director with years of experience the attitude here is you dont have a qualification from Oz and no experience here so basically up yours for the BA, MBA you have from high quality Universities in USA and experience with global employers and Universities means nothing...so I reckon for me at least age, reverse discrimination and a temp visa are about as bad three strikes ...I have a never say No attitude but after 3 years (waiting for PR) I will be off by June having spent all my cash savings...hell my pension is a good few years away...cant be arsed with this narrow minded small town mentality here in good old boy Adelaide. Hang in there!

This thread has had over 500 views, my original posting had over 500. So, with over 1000 views there's obviously interest in what's going on here. How's about some fresh opinions and/or suggestions coming on board. Please let's confine this to the subject and not 'attitude' because some folk are either wanting to stir things up or they're mis-interpreting what I'm saying i.e. interpreting analysis for rudeness which isn't intended.

Come on guys, I need a job as a driver or a project manager before I my savings run out. How's about it? Anyone?

This thread has had over 500 views, my original posting had over 500. So, with over 1000 views there's obviously interest in what's going on here. How's about some fresh opinions and/or suggestions coming on board. Please let's confine this to the subject and not 'attitude' because some folk are either wanting to stir things up or they're mis-interpreting what I'm saying i.e. interpreting analysis for rudeness which isn't intended.

Come on guys, I need a job as a driver or a project manager before I my savings run out. How's about it? Anyone?

Have you considered with your rude abrupt responses that maybe your attitude doesnt help...JHC empathy is something I was expressing..frustration is a barrier to finding employment...with your attitude good luck with centrelink...my point is here there many >50's well qualified Ozzies and people like me that cant find work, IT people, engineers, telecoms etc so frankly the point i was stressing was your aren't alone. However, with your retort I am now not surprised you have been basically bloody rude.

Mate I dont know you form Adam...but I fully get it....I am up against it and have never not worked since being 14 now 53....I have even applied at Bunnings, Officework, Coels, Woolies..etc hell Im not proud...im well educated masters degree, but drove a bus for a living through Uni...pathetic situation here and having lived in UK and USA always found work...they advertise they need people but by christ the reality is something quite different. As an ex director with years of experience the attitude here is you dont have a qualification from Oz and no experience here so basically up yours for the BA, MBA you have from high quality Universities in USA and experience with global employers and Universities means nothing...so I reckon for me at least age, reverse discrimination and a temp visa are about as bad three strikes ...I have a never say No attitude but after 3 years (waiting for PR) I will be off by June having spent all my cash savings...hell my pension is a good few years away...cant be arsed with this narrow minded small town mentality here in good old boy Adelaide. Hang in there!

GlobeTrotta, hi. Brothers in arms eh! I think not recognising an MBA is outrageous. I'd be livid if I were you, you have my total empathy. The small town parochial attitude seems prevalent here in Perth as well. I have two Masters Degrees from good Universities, massive amounts of work experience - everything from double glazing salesman to delivering toilet supplies, multi drop, long distance courier, IT management, worked for BBC Scotland, right up to being director of my own company. Here though, I'm nothing. Like you I've been in to Bunnings, I've tried cleaning companies, agencies, tried pulling strings with folk in high places. Everything that's been suggested on this board I've done. In a year I've had one interview, and I got the job...only to be told four months later that...there's no job.

All this talk about getting 'a fair go' is rubbish.

Have you considered with your rude abrupt responses that maybe your attitude doesnt help...JHC empathy is something I was expressing..frustration is a barrier to finding employment...with your attitude good luck with centrelink...my point is here there many >50's well qualified Ozzies and people like me that cant find work, IT people, engineers, telecoms etc so frankly the point i was stressing was your aren't alone. However, with your retort I am now not surprised you have been basically bloody rude.

What? GlobeTrotta, what are you on about - did you read my reply to you? How have I been rude?

526 views. Lots looking, not much being said.

I agree that the job market is difficult here, i have had a difficult time due to licensing etc but i am working and just having to work my way back up from the bottom but theres no point in moaning about it! What is it you want to hear from people? Are you hoping moaning on a forum will make someone offer you a job? Have you tried labouring? I am sure there would be jobs in KFC or the like or factory work, Not glamorous i know but its money while you try to find something better.Failing that do some voluntary work it would at least gain you a local reference and help you meet people.

I agree that the job market is difficult here, i have had a difficult time due to licensing etc but i am working and just having to work my way back up from the bottom but theres no point in moaning about it! What is it you want to hear from people? Are you hoping moaning on a forum will make someone offer you a job? Have you tried labouring? I am sure there would be jobs in KFC or the like or factory work, Not glamorous i know but its money while you try to find something better.Failing that do some voluntary work it would at least gain you a local reference and help you meet people.

I don't have a white card so can't get site work. I've said above though that I have tried to get all sorts of work with no success. Interestingly I submitted several applications to places and indicated I would do voluntary work but no one took me up on it.

I don't think I'm moaning though, I'm just saying how it is. My original intent was, yes, to see if there was someone out there who could point me in the right direction with regards to getting a driving job, so, yeah I'm being honest with everyone: I need a job! I'm a good driver so that would be my preference (actually my preference would be to get back into management but I can't see that happening if I can't get a job in Bunnings).

I've even travelled up to Perth to network. Maybe the truth is I'm just not employable any more? Seems a bit of a shame though when I am genuinely willing to work.

just reading through ur other posts and it seems like u have done quite a lot in ur 46yrs ...30 years driving ...IT work ....a hynoptherapist ...which u say u ran a practise for amongst other things !!! ...where did u find the time to do all this :xmas18:

mrs keily

The reason why you won't find a job as a truck driver is because you are not qualified. Go and get your licence. Spend money to make money. I wouldn't employ someone that doesn't have a licence but says they can drive. Get your licence and then maybe try some of the charities that do pickups to get some local experience for a fe months then you might tick a few boxes

Its hard to get a start in any country. When dave did his class 2 he could only get a few shifts with a terrible agency then he did his class 1 and found it quite hard at first to get anybody to take him on without experience. Finally a local company did. I think he has the gift of the gab.

Basically what im trying to say is get as many tickets as you can - i know it can cost a lot but it'll help in the longrun. Dont give up, try make as many contacts as possible. Hopefully something will come along.

I know being out of work is crappy, must be worse being in a new country

Its hard to get a start in any country. When dave did his class 2 he could only get a few shifts with a terrible agency then he did his class 1 and found it quite hard at first to get anybody to take him on without experience. Finally a local company did. I think he has the gift of the gab.

Basically what im trying to say is get as many tickets as you can - i know it can cost a lot but it'll help in the longrun. Dont give up, try make as many contacts as possible. Hopefully something will come along.

I know being out of work is crappy, must be worse being in a new country

I think you are right, it sounds as though things in oz may be going down the same route as here and you have to give yourself the best chances possible so by gaining as many tickets and whatever as you can would make sense, times are hard and you have to go out and get the work as it will not come to you.

The reason why you won't find a job as a truck driver is because you are not qualified. Go and get your licence. Spend money to make money. I wouldn't employ someone that doesn't have a licence but says they can drive. Get your licence and then maybe try some of the charities that do pickups to get some local experience for a fe months then you might tick a few boxes

Hi wakeboard1980, I do have a lot of UK driving experience, just not here, and of-course I don't have the HR license. I'm really happy to go and get it, but, here's what I'm worried about - what if there's no jobs? It's going to cost me over $1000 to get the license, but what if I do that and I still can't get work. There's been a few folk commented that here in Mandurah is not a good place to look, but that's ok, I don't mind a commute up to Perth, but what if I do that and there just aren't any jobs going. I've had a look on seek.com and I can see lots of positions for HC drivers, but so much here for HR.

Things being what they are I'm just nervous and concerned about the wisdom of spending our precious savings.

just reading through ur other posts and it seems like u have done quite a lot in ur 46yrs ...30 years driving ...IT work ....a hynoptherapist ...which u say u ran a practise for amongst other things !!! ...where did u find the time to do all this :xmas18:

mrs keily

Seemed like it was much easier to be a jack of all trades back in Scotland (in chronological order):

Motorcycle Courier

Double glazing salesman (for a week!)

Storeman (1 year)

Care officer in a rehab clinic (3 month contract)

Delivery driver (three month contract)

Retail sales p/t (weekends whilst at Uni)

Sound engineer (evenings after Uni)

Archive Technician (1 year)

BBC Scotland HTML Coder (2x3 month contracts)

Sportsconnection Ltd - Website Manager (2.5 years)

Systems Administrator (old school UNIX) (2 years)

Owned a media company with my partner (4 years)

Taxi driver (3 years)

Courier driver (as needed)

Tutor working with drug, alcohol and mental health issues (2.5 years)

Registered Hypnotherapist

Yeah, as you say, I've definitely got 'breadth' of experience that's for sure! Bit of a jack of all trades though.

Hi wakeboard1980, I do have a lot of UK driving experience, just not here, and of-course I don't have the HR license. I'm really happy to go and get it, but, here's what I'm worried about - what if there's no jobs? It's going to cost me over $1000 to get the license, but what if I do that and I still can't get work. There's been a few folk commented that here in Mandurah is not a good place to look, but that's ok, I don't mind a commute up to Perth, but what if I do that and there just aren't any jobs going. I've had a look on seek.com and I can see lots of positions for HC drivers, but so much here for HR.

Things being what they are I'm just nervous and concerned about the wisdom of spending our precious savings.

I can understand that you don't want to spend your savings, but not having the licence might be the thing that's not getting you shortlisted for jobs - if it's part of the selection criteria for example and you don't have it - they'll immediatley say no

I can understand that you don't want to spend your savings, but not having the licence might be the thing that's not getting you shortlisted for jobs - if it's part of the selection criteria for example and you don't have it - they'll immediatley say no

Ali's right. It cost dave a lot over here too but its just what you need to pay. Nobodys going to take you on without it. Once you have it you can go to agencies etc,

Its just one of those expenses that you need to pay unfortunately even though its a risk