Worried Mum of a 14 year old boy

rickjoann

Hello All

We are hoping to emigrate to Perth early 2013. My 14 year old is only coming to Australia as he doesn't want to stay here without his family (staying has never been an option as I would "never" leave him behind). I have read alot of posts on here saying Perth is "boring" and only suited for old people. Could anyone parents or kids give me things for teenagers to do to convince us that Perth is the right place for us. Big thanks x

Edited by rickjoann

Hello, we are heading to Perth in November with 3 boy aged 11,8,3. So far from hunting the net we have found loads of football teams, only one of mine will like that so I am hopeful that the other two will get into some sort of scouts, lessons surfing or diving. If nothing else plenty of parks & friendly people should help.

Once I arrive I'll have a look around and let you know, I'm sure it will be ok once your settled.

Denni ;)

Guest The Pom Queen

I've never lived in Perth myself but I know a few families who have moved from Melbourne to Perth and the kids love it. I'm sure he will be fine, what does he like doing

My boys were 16, 15 and 11 when they came. My 15yr old doesn't like football and isn't great at most team sports, but he loves it here. He likes surfing lessons and swimming in the sea, but he does the same sort of things with his mates that he did in the uk.

When they get the chance they do cinema, paintballing, bowling, indoor rockclimbing etc. Most of these sorts of things are more expensive than the uk, but there are lots of vouchers/offers around once you get to know where to find them. There are skateparks in most suburbs but they are fairly small and you have to go into Perth for big ones. Cadets and scouts are great for those that like camping and outdoor stuff. Because the weather is good they spend a lot of time on bikes or skateboards. Fishing is popular.

Like most teenage boys in the uk though, possibly the most popular activity is being at someone else's house playing computer games and eating pizza. Lots of teenagers get jobs, especially at cafes and takeaways, and earn enough money to do things like paintballing together.

So many people here have moved here from other countries that they know what it's like and are instantly accepting at school. My children found it really easy to make friends at school here.

Most children have access to facebook and skype and chat with their uk friends frequently.

Edited by NowPerth
mixed up ages

I just moved here 3 weeks ago and had my first day at school today. I'm 16 by the way :) Before I got here, I had expected it to be completely different. Not in a bad or a good way.. just different :) The weather he is amazing compared to home.. especially when you're lying on the beach B) Today was difficult going into school but people definitely make more of an effort to talk to you here than people at home would! Once the first day is down , it's not too bad.. I won't be in as much of a panic tomorrow haha. But even starting school here isn't that bad because the students are used to poeple moving into their schools from UK and Ireland etc. so they don't take much notice. The lifestyle here is so much better though.. Way more to do outdoors and meeting up with friends and going to the beach and stuff .. so ya :) But there are soooo many fast food restaurants here.. Be warned. Just don't fall into the trap of ' Being too busy to cook '. Seriously, it becomes addictive :S Hope this helped? If he needs to talk or anything, I'm here. I know how it feels.. Daunting :)

There's a new indoor rock climbing hall in Joondalup, and areas for outdoor rock climbing in the Darling range East of perth (though it can be quite a drive depending on where you live). If he does Outdoor Education as his option at school he'll probably get to do rock climbing as part of the course. The indoor centre also has one of the 'moving' walls. My middle son enjoyed it at the indoor centre.

There's a parkour club in Perth. They have a facebook page where they advertise meets ups. they also occassionally hold beginners sessions. The facebook page is 'Perth Parkour - Australian Parkour Association'. My youngest son liked it but he was probably the youngest there when he'd just turned 12. There are lots of teenagers, then some really keen 18 - 28s ish who are brilliant at it.

Outdoor Ed at school is great for many of those that aren't so keen on PE. These are some of the things they do, depending on the school and the level: rock climbing, abseiling, surf life saving, surfing, snorkelling, diving, skipper's ticket (boat driving licence), sailing, camping, kayaking, mountain biking, ropes and knots, first aid.

Lol that's ok, my eldest boy hates football as well so he's not alone on that one, my boy hates every thing sporty but the one thing he loves is animals and fish so we want to get him into some kind of diving school.

Will keep u posted once we arrive ;)

Denni

There use to eb a good rock climbing place in Northbridge too(CBD) that we went to. My sons were into parcour, use to meet up at a big shopping centre on a Sunday and do it - but now shops are open on Sunday that will have stopped. they were about 14 at the time. It's big in Perth. I think you'll find that anything they are into in the UK they also have here.

• 2 months later...
Hello All

We are hoping to emigrate to Perth early 2013. My 14 year old is only coming to Australia as he doesn't want to stay here without his family (staying has never been an option as I would "never" leave him behind). I have read alot of posts on here saying Perth is "boring" and only suited for old people. Could anyone parents or kids give me things for teenagers to do to convince us that Perth is the right place for us. Big thanks x

Hi, im 14 and ive just moved to perth, we moved in setember this year. Everyone is so friendly here, lots to do. Ive lefted all my family in the uk, it was hard at first but now its fine, i skype with them every weekend and there coming over i jan! if you move here im sure youll like it :)

• 1 month later...
Hello All

What does he do at home? Whatever it is it will be available in Perth. My sons have both played Aussie Rules, the eldest one played soccer for a year, tennis, squash, modcross (a modified version of lacrosse for kids). Both are in the surf club and love it. They both swim pretty well, the eldest one was in swimming squads for a few years and competed at a national level at surf carnivals. He had to go over East for that but the Surf Club subsidised the trips and he went with a coach and a few of his mates and had a ball.

IMO there is a stack more to do in Perth than the UK and a lot of it free. He won't have trouble being able to find places to go and do it either. The footy clubs have just started putting up signs for enrolment day and the kids just roll up, get put in a team with a coach and away you go. No need to know a lot of mates before you can go and form a team or anything.

If he likes playing playstation, X-box, WII, well that's just the same here as it is in the UK.

I think it's more question of whether you can change his attitude. You could take someone to paradise against their will and they would hate it. People don't like being caged, even if that cage is rather nice. If your sons is determined not to enjoy it, then he will be miserable. If he becomes depressed, then I can't see the experience ending well. I'd do you best to put a positive spin on it, and if you can't get him to seriously give it a go, I seriously question whether you should make the move. In four short years he'll be able to return to the uk of his own free will, and you need to ask yourself if that's the type of life you want with children and grand children spread all over the globe. Skype is no substitute for being there.