41 members have voted

1. 1. What are your monthly outgoings?

• Under $2000
    • Under $4000
    • Under $6000
    • Under $8000
    • Under $10,000
    • Over $10,000

i think everyone needs to realise when reading this thread that everyones situation is very different ...obviously there will be costs that have to be paid no matter how big or small ur family is ...eg ...mortgage /rent ....bills for electric gas /water ....but these will vary on size of house and the suburb its in ....also things like car finance ours will be paid of in 18mths so that money will be extra ....my o/h works away so we prefer to have mobiles than home phone ...and obviously my food bills are very low as hes not here most of the time .....but when hes home we eat out a lot so that puts the budget up aswell ....its good to have a comparison but it all depends on your lifestlye ....

mrs keily

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think everyone needs to realise when reading this thread that everyones situation is very different ...obviously there will be costs that have to be paid no matter how big or small ur family is ...eg ...mortgage /rent ....bills for electric gas /water ....but these will vary on size of house and the suburb its in ....also things like car finance ours will be paid of in 18mths so that money will be extra ....my o/h works away so we prefer to have mobiles than home phone ...and obviously my food bills are very low as hes not here most of the time .....but when hes home we eat out a lot so that puts the budget up aswell ....its good to have a comparison but it all depends on your lifestlye ....

mrs keily

Absolutely agree. We have a swimming pool, but we also have solar so that offsets the cost of the filter 100%, in addition to reducing our overall electric bill in the house. There is also only the two of us, no children or pets so that definitely keeps our costs down. I am also travelling a lot for work at the moment and so I am only home 2 weeks out of 5, with all my food covered while I am away, so our food bills at the moment are only around the $200-$300 a month mark. The figure I stated previously of $400-$500 a month for food is when we are both at home. We do eat out but usually only on a spreets deal or with coupons from the entertainment book, as for us it is a great cheap way to explore the many restaurants that Brisbane has to offer. On average a meal out for the 2 of us would be around $30.

More than 60% of our outgoings are our mortgage, but we still manage to save a fair amount each month on 1 income. If we had wanted to we could have bought a smaller house and therefore reduced our mortgage, but we chose to buy a 3 bedroom plus study with 2 living areas as we have friends and family staying a lot. With no children we didn't have to worry about school catchment areas either so this allowed us to live in an area that perhaps wasn't in such high demand for families, but we fortunate that we are walking distance to great shopping and transport links in Chermside. Having a good bus service nearby also means that we don't actually drive that much and our petrol costs can be as little as $40 a month for a 4wd, offset by bus fares of $160 a month.

As mrs keily says, it all depends on your lifestyle.

The average cost seem to be under $6000 a month on the poll, but that is one heck of a lot to be spending each month

I was working out that if we earnt $85,000 a year (which we dont,no-where near that ), less tax -22%, would give us a net income of $66,300

That would give us $1275 a week, and if we were spending $6000 a month on our outgoings, we would be $900 a month short

Then theres the medicare levies, and unexpected expenditure,which you are never prepared for.

Guest The Pom Queen
The average cost seem to be under $6000 a month on the poll, but that is one heck of a lot to be spending each month

I was working out that if we earnt $85,000 a year (which we dont,no-where near that ), less tax -22%, would give us a net income of $66,300

That would give us $1275 a week, and if we were spending $6000 a month on our outgoings, we would be $900 a month short

Then theres the medicare levies, and unexpected expenditure,which you are never prepared for.

I wouldn't take the figures to heart, I was just trying to gauge what everyone's monthly spending is, there are so many different scenarios, for example we have 3 children, live in Cairns, pay school fees of $7,500 per year and run 3 cars.

are u in oz sapphire ?

mrs keily

what are your monthly outgoings ...do you have a shortfall ?

mrs keily

Luckily we dont have a shortfall, but we have always been very careful

We have downsized into a 2 bed apartment, and its cut our fuel bills/home outgoings by half, so thats been a saving grace

We dont buy anything unless we absolutely need to, and its works for us

Im so thankful, we dont have a huge mortgage

I wouldn't take the figures to heart, I was just trying to gauge what everyone's monthly spending is, there are so many different scenarios, for example we have 3 children, live in Cairns, pay school fees of $7,500 per year and run 3 cars.

Exactly, and there seem to be so many variations on earnings, and costings

Costs can vary dramatically from state to state as well

Completely agree with you and, as others say, costs will vary considerably dependent on where you are and the lifestyle you choose to live.

Please note that the current popular poll answer of "Less than $6k per month" is leaving open quite large spending bracket - people who voted on this number could in fact be living well on anywhere between $4K and 6K per month.

I can assure you that it is definitely possoble to live in Oz on less than $6000 per month (take home) - from our point of view, here's on average where we spend each month here in Cairns:

$1665 mortgage (3 bed detached house in a nice area. No pool though….could really do with one today as I’m working on stuff around the house, sweating like a dog and so could do with a dip about now! As I can’t I’m instead sat in the shade drinking a couple o cold ones surfin the net ;-) )

$240 rates

$140 house insurance

$85 electric

$7.50 water

$670 on stuff for house (food, cleaning products etc)

$145 rego (2 x cars, my toy and its trailer)

$115 vehicle insurance (fully comp for all)

$180 fuel ($80 my car, $0 wife’s car (we’re fortunate in that her work pays for all her fuel) and the rest gets drank by my toy)

$110 mobiles (2 x - one that is ‘just a phone’ & one that confuses the hell out of me so I leave it to the wife!)

$30 internet (we don’t have a fixed internet connection, just a dongle thing (pay as you go). Other than browsing, e-mailing, the odd skype chat and music download, we don’t hammer the net that much each month

$120 private health insurance for the wife only (good cover)

$1000 other stuff (clothes (you don’t need many up here though ;-)), eating out, beers, having people round for a BBQ, going camping etc)

Our total spend each month is, on average, a smidgen over $4500.

PS - if you were able to take home $1275 each week, the possible shortfall you anticipate (based on needing $6k) of $900 per month can almost be halved - you'd be pulling just over $5500 each month ($1275 x 52 / 12).

Edited by frogian

Completely agree with you and, as others say, costs will vary considerably dependent on where you are and the lifestyle you choose to live.

Please note that the current popular poll answer of "Less than $6k per month" is leaving open quite large spending bracket - people who voted on this number could in fact be living well on anywhere between $4K and 6K per month.

I can assure you that it is definitely possoble to live in Oz on less than $6000 per month (take home) - from our point of view, here's on average where we spend each month here in Cairns:

$1665 mortgage (3 bed detached house in a nice area. No pool though….could really do with one today as I’m working on stuff around the house, sweating like a dog and so could do with a dip about now! As I can’t I’m instead sat in the shade drinking a couple o cold ones surfin the net ;-) )

$240 rates

$140 house insurance

$85 electric

$7.50 water

$670 on stuff for house (food, cleaning products etc)

$145 rego (2 x cars, my toy and its trailer)

$115 vehicle insurance (fully comp for all)

$180 fuel ($80 my car, $0 wife’s car (we’re fortunate in that her work pays for all her fuel) and the rest gets drank by my toy)

$110 mobiles (2 x - one that is ‘just a phone’ & one that confuses the hell out of me so I leave it to the wife!)

$30 internet (we don’t have a fixed internet connection, just a dongle thing (pay as you go). Other than browsing, e-mailing, the odd skype chat and music download, we don’t hammer the net that much each month

$120 private health insurance for the wife only (good cover)

$1000 other stuff (clothes (you don’t need many up here though ;-)), eating out, beers, having people round for a BBQ, going camping etc)

Our total spend each month is, on average, a smidgen over $4500.

PS - if you were able to take home $1275 each week, the possible shortfall you anticipate (based on needing $6k) of $900 per month can almost be halved - you'd be pulling just over $5500 each month ($1275 x 52 / 12).

I had heard it was pretty hot up there,

I dont think I could cope with the heat up North

$85000 less 22% tax = $66300 take home ,divide that by 52 weeks, gives you a takehome pay of $1275 a week, x 4 weeks =$5100 per 4 week period

If you had expenditure of $6000 a month, that is where you would have a $900 shortfall each month

Does that include any rent/mortgage?

Sorry I should have been more explicit about no debts - we live in a home we own so no rent or mortgage.

I was thinking about this after I posted and I think that apart from no mortgage the thing that makes the biggest difference for us is that our children are financially independent.

Wow I'm surprised at some of the outgoings for a couple, although I suppose most of it is going on rental/mortgage

Yes indeed, of our $8600 over $5k is rent as we livein a nice suburb close to Sydney. Another large chunk was on coffee and lunch in the CBD every day, some colleagues bring their own lunch in but we are just not that organised, so that is about $13 each every weekday which really adds up.

Many times on this site I have been shot down in flames saying you need to earn over 100000 a year and proberly 120000 to have a nice life style. Looking at many people's outgoings I'm not wrong, what many people have not mentioned is a holiday . Yes we live in the sunshine but its nice to get away and even more importantly how about a trip home to see loved ones.....? Family of 4 would cost around 10000 return . Lot of money to save with nothing left at the end of the week/month. Or do you just never return. So who's saying you don't need 100000 plus now....?

Guest guest17301

I think most people myself included quote $100k as a decent amount but need about 20 to 40 k more for decent hols and savings...but thats not to say that many can't survive on less, depends on circumstances, mortgage size etc etc

Many times on this site I have been shot down in flames saying you need to earn over 100000 a year and proberly 120000 to have a nice life style. Looking at many people's outgoings I'm not wrong, what many people have not mentioned is a holiday . Yes we live in the sunshine but its nice to get away and even more importantly how about a trip home to see loved ones.....? Family of 4 would cost around 10000 return . Lot of money to save with nothing left at the end of the week/month. Or do you just never return. So who's saying you don't need 100000 plus now....?

I think where you live plays a huge part in how much your salary needs to be. My brother earns around $75k gross and manages to support his family without difficulty (including overseas holidays). However, he doesn't live in a capital city.

I think most people myself included quote $100k as a decent amount but need about 20 to 40 k more for decent hols and savings...but thats not to say that many can't survive on less, depends on circumstances, mortgage size etc etc

True what you say but I can't imagion coming all this way thousands of miles away from family just to survive and not live, I know people are just surviving in the uk but its not much difference here, the best thing ever to happen to Australia is a recession to correct massively overpriced cost of living. Sounds stupid but in the long run it will be better.

I think where you live plays a huge part in how much your salary needs to be. My brother earns around $75k gross and manages to support his family without difficulty (including overseas holidays). However, he doesn't live in a capital city.

75000 is not a lot of money wherever you live in oz, granted some places are cheaper than other . Wouldn't stand a chance in perth with a family on 75000 a year, your be back on a plane within a year, if not sooner

Guest guest17301
True what you say but I can't imagion coming all this way thousands of miles away from family just to survive and not live, I know people are just surviving in the uk but its not much difference here, the best thing ever to happen to Australia is a recession to correct massively overpriced cost of living. Sounds stupid but in the long run it will be better.

Agree with you Paul, don't forget though that a lot of people quote those figures for short term...for example we started out on about 65k for 6 months....obviously we didnt save, everything was second hand..when OH got a job we saved like mad for a deposit for a house and bought a few luxuries....nearly four years on the extra wage goes towards savings for hols, new furniture, car etc...meals out, days out, those little things that make us happy and glad we came, glad to say Australia is home, we all need our home comforts, Id be the last to encourage anyone over without a reasonable chance of securing employment...

I have to be honest and say I have never sat and done our monthly outgoings, well today Rob sat and did them and has come in white as a sheet. Just when there are 5 of us in the house our monthly outgoings without food or buying clothes etc is $5600 that includes the mortgage:cry::cry:

What are your monthly outgoings including rent and food, with food (for 5) I'd say ours is going to be $7000 it does include school fees as well:shocked:

how much ? ......joking arent you ?