Ellenbrook? Sheer madness?

chiara

Well the saga continues... did a recce to Secret Harbour and sadly my initial impressions were confirmed - Nuclear testing village in the Arizona desert I'm afraid...yes the houses are pretty, and the schools and parks on site are attractive, particularly with the beach so close...but it feel so far from civilisation I don't think I could face it. On top of all this, I discovered the train line doesn't run from Mandurah to Fremantle, so the whole idea is out.

I also realised that while I was struggling to find a rental in Helena Valley, I also wasn't willing to pay in excess of 600 dollars a week, regardless of how convenient it is. And so, I've hit on the idea of Ellenbrook. It is close enough to the kids school that I won't need to move them, it's got shops and parks within walking/biking distance and Swan Valley is on the doorstep. However, I have heard bad things, and I don't know why that is. Can anyone shed any light? A trip around the local shopping centre generally gives you a good idea of the demographic, and compared to the freak show which is Midland Gate,:wacko: this was quite ok. So what am I missing and what are the problems in Ellenbrook?

Cheers!

Guest guest17301

Aveley and Ellenbrook are pretty much the same area to be honest, few mins down the road and you're in Henley Brook, very nice as is the Vines

But sure it's all suburbia! The only place where you don't get that sense of 'suburbia' is either up in the hills or some expensive places SOR. I've all but given up expecting to find somewhere special that is affordable. The hills are charming but increasingly hard to find a decent house which is affordable (actually, it's impossible), and 8 months in I've finally accepted I'm gonna have to accept what I found impossible when I first arrived.

I thought Ellenbrook is getting quite interesting... a mix of new with the old.... dont be put off by that over hanging question. Spoke to my hill billy friend as l call her and being an aussie....Ellenbrook apparently are for those who can't quite afford the hills lol....but thats like saying Duncraig is for those who can't quite afford Hillary's.... oh well least your house wont be threatened by the firebugs this summer.... and Hillary's can keep their beach front rates lol :)

Moven, she doesn't start til 2014, in the meantime all four are in Helena valley school, so I don't want to move them until I know what the hell we're doing long term here. Ellenbrook seems is an exercise in damage limitation for now...

what about green mount or jane brook ? they have some nice view and walks around that way , woodvale also has some lovely views and nice walks and the schools are good and it easy to get public transport to trains so is ocean reef good primary schools and easy for public transport , oceanreef can be expensive to buy in but reasonable to rent here

I don`t know how old all your kids are but another thing to think about is that whilst you will eventually have 1 at Fremantle and the others in your local primary, what happens when the next one is due to go to high school, you`ll potentially have 3 different schools to get the kids to (or 2 different schools plus a train station). You seem to be jumping almost randomly from one idea to the next. Sit back, take a breath - personally I`d sit down and write a list of what you want, what you need and what is negotiable in your choice of burb, then look at where you have necessity (like say Fremantle) and then start drawing rings outward. How much of a hurry are you in to move? Can you afford to take your time or do you have to be out of your current house?

No, we've as much time as we need, which almost makes it worse! I hated the northern suburbs, felt they were bland. I loved the hills with their character. However, with five kids that need outdoor space, a chance to cycle around on their bikes etc, it hasn't really worked out. The only area near us in the hills that works is helena valley, and the prices are up in the 600's and I just don't want to pay that. We hit on secret harbour because we thought she might be able to take the mandurah train to freo, turned out to be completely wrong about that.

I am living from month to month, there is no guarantee that dh will still have a job next year if this mining boom collapses, so right now all I'm thinking about is keeping the kids in their school and we'll worry about all the rest once we're more certain of our future. Like I said, the train goes from midland to freo, directly, so that is fine for now...

There are plenty there, I haven't inspected any yet. I will start looking in the next few weeks... look nothing is going to be too exciting, so I pretty much know what I'll get. I suppose my initial question was why does it have a bad reputation. Nobody has really answered that so maybe it's just the people I've spoken to!

No, we've as much time as we need, which almost makes it worse! I hated the northern suburbs, felt they were bland. I loved the hills with their character. However, with five kids that need outdoor space, a chance to cycle around on their bikes etc, it hasn't really worked out. The only area near us in the hills that works is helena valley, and the prices are up in the 600's and I just don't want to pay that. We hit on secret harbour because we thought she might be able to take the mandurah train to freo, turned out to be completely wrong about that.

I am living from month to month, there is no guarantee that dh will still have a job next year if this mining boom collapses, so right now all I'm thinking about is keeping the kids in their school and we'll worry about all the rest once we're more certain of our future. Like I said, the train goes from midland to freo, directly, so that is fine for now...

i personally would be looking somewhere arounf the freo area with ur daughter in mind ...its gona be a long day for her to go from ellenbrook ....to midland ...to freo ....and is there public transport to take her from e/b to midland ? ......willeton is an older suburb and has direct bus access along south street ito freo ...would make her day a bit shorter ....just a thought .....and regards ellenbrook and bad rep ...we had a friend who was a copper in that area and he said they were on constant call outs due to unruly teens ....

mrs keily

I thought the Freo & Midland lines were 2 different lines so she`d surely have to change trains just as she would if she was coming from the Mandurah line?? Anyway try having a look at the crime statistic for Ellenbrook - will give you an idea, personally I`ve not heard anything bad about the area. http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/Statistics/Searchcrimestatistics/tabid/998/Default.aspx

and here is a link to transperth travel planner - might be of use too when looking at different burbs

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/DesktopDefault.aspx

Oh blimey, those stats don't look so good. I think I'm confusing the issue a little by mentioning my daughter going to freo. Right now my priority is to find a house, near enough to their school, in a community (husband doing fifo...terrified at night), where the shops can be reached on bikes, and a playground ideally, for no more than 500 dollars a week. Oh and that isn't ugly as sin. I know, tall order. The future is of no interest to me at the moment, I don't know if I even want to stay here. Anyway, I think it might be a moot point, those statistics don't give me much confidence... back to the drawingboard....

Oh blimey, those stats don't look so good. I think I'm confusing the issue a little by mentioning my daughter going to freo. Right now my priority is to find a house, near enough to their school, in a community (husband doing fifo...terrified at night), where the shops can be reached on bikes, and a playground ideally, for no more than 500 dollars a week. Oh and that isn't ugly as sin. I know, tall order. The future is of no interest to me at the moment, I don't know if I even want to stay here. Anyway, I think it might be a moot point, those statistics don't give me much confidence... back to the drawingboard....

What about Bullsbrook? I know it`s further out than Ellenbrook but it has low crime rate, my friend lives there and loves it - don`t know about transport links though???

Stay with me, 1st post...Travel thro & in a lot of suburbs in the course of my job, agree with what you say about Secret Harbour.........Pick it up, move it up north and chuck it inland a bit, and call it Ellenbrook...............if you are happy with the Hills, try the cheaper options and not far from rail links,.......forrestfield, wattle grove, roleystone and kelmscott, kelmscott gets a bad rap sometimes...but hey ho, its worth a look.

What about Bullsbrook? I know it`s further out than Ellenbrook but it has low crime rate, my friend lives there and loves it - don`t know about transport links though???

Great place C but not the best if you have a child commuting to John Curtin in Freo.

To the OP. I think you have to think about your child and live closer to the school. That isn't meant to be insulting but the program at JC is full on, my best friend's son has just finished year 12 there and the last thing your child will fancy is a massive commute home. Sadly they are more suburban than you are looking at but by the sounds of it you aren't here for the long haul. If you want a good commute to school, good schools for your other children and close to the airport then look around Leeming, Bullcreek, Willeton.

I thought the Freo & Midland lines were 2 different lines so she`d surely have to change trains just as she would if she was coming from the Mandurah line?? Anyway try having a look at the crime statistic for Ellenbrook - will give you an idea, personally I`ve not heard anything bad about the area. http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/Statistics/Searchcrimestatistics/tabid/998/Default.aspx

and here is a link to transperth travel planner - might be of use too when looking at different burbs

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/DesktopDefault.aspx

they are separate lines. It's roughly an hour just in train journeys, without to and from the station at the start and finish point. It's not a journey I would want to subject a 13 year old to in all honesty.

At the moment our priority is to keep them in the same school here in helena valley - she has just over a year to finish there before freo, hence the ellenbrook idea. This is short term. In 2014 we'll have to revisit the whole thing. I can't move her to a different school just for one year before high school. Thanks all for your input!

Archived