Quarantine in Australia going down in Jan 2013?

Tulip

A friend of mine in Victoria that imported her dogs recently has told me that quarantine time may come down as soon as Jan 2013? Can anyone verify this? Apparently down to ten days, which would mean only $500 fees (fab!).

Obviously I am hoping this is the case as my bitch and I will be shipping out Spring time next year. Would love to know if anyone has more information on the subject.

I posted a link a little while back about a consultation that's currently out for comment - but this is ONLY at consultation stage and to my knowledge there's no guarantee or time-line yet. (But I haven't checked recently)

Will have a look and see if I can repost the link for you :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know how long this review might take and when a decision will be made? Also interested to know if anyone has heard anymore on this and if there is a good chance the quarantine time might be reduced.

Thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone know how long this review might take and when a decision will be made? Also interested to know if anyone has heard anymore on this and if there is a good chance the quarantine time might be reduced.

Thanks.

AQIS has the following on their website

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/policy-review-of-the-importation-of-dogs,-cats-and-their-semen--faq

Until they say otherwise, don't bank on anything and carry on as per the current regulations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My little girl is currently in Spotswood in Melbourne, we have been to visit her as we are in The Barossa Valley in Adelaide, wow the treatment is like a 5star hotel, we also have a dog walker who my Friedman have previously used, he's called Bruce, he's fantastic, he posts pictures for you ad videos of how your dog is dog, he's a lovely man, as when we visited our dog he was there.

from the UK we used Golden Arrow Shippers, in Shropshire, they have been fantastic in keeping us informed about everything and how Sparkles journey went.

From Oz to UK is zero quarantine (as long as all the paperwork is right).

Also, FYI, the quarantine is going to come down to 10 days - likely in mid 2013. The Australians have drawn up a plan and veterinary requirements, they just need to push the green button and then 10 days is the way forward. Makes much more sense and will help these furballs lots!

Bob

Hi Jewels and John, thanks for the compliment.

But regarding the ten days rule, I think that it is absolutely absurd. It used to be six months because vaccinations weren't up to the job and a lot of nasties could come in from overseas (remember that Australia quarantine is for all countries not just the UK.

The only reason that I can see them doing it is political pressure and saving money on staff or facilities etc.

For ten days, they are betting that the disease will show itself well within that period. That is one hell of a gamble.

Why so? Well its great for your one off flight to Australia, but consider what would happen if a really deadly disease comes with a dog and isnt seen in ten days, and it gets out into the general population and kills your dog. I am sure that you would appreciate the full month of quarantine then.

You might consider this a very rare likelihood, but only recently quarantine had to shut down for a little while because kennel cough broke out. Note kennel cough is vaccinated against, and is a relatively mild problem.

People buy aussie fruit from around the world because we are an island and have been saved from some really bad plant diseases because of being an island and the vigilance of quarantine.

I vote for keeping a dog for the very tiny 30 days, rather than risk our whole dog population. Yes it is hard on an owner, but consider those people who still have to wait 6 months ...

• 2 weeks later...
My little girl is currently in Spotswood in Melbourne, we have been to visit her as we are in The Barossa Valley in Adelaide, wow the treatment is like a 5star hotel, we also have a dog walker who my Friedman have previously used, he's called Bruce, he's fantastic, he posts pictures for you ad videos of how your dog is dog, he's a lovely man, as when we visited our dog he was there.

from the UK we used Golden Arrow Shippers, in Shropshire, they have been fantastic in keeping us informed about everything and how Sparkles journey went.

Hi Jewels & Jon - I was really pleased to see that you were impressed with the Spotswood facility.

Like you, we are using golden arrow to bring Buster into Australia, and we are also in Adelaide (Brighton). How did you find out about Bruce? would you be able to out me in touch with him?

Buster doesn't arrive until January, but it has already been 3 months since my OH physically saw him (web cams are great but Buster doesn't really engage....), so providing some contact while he is serving his 30 days would be very welcome.

Very encouraged by your positive review!

Thanks

Reduced to 10 days yay for the furries having our cat locked up for a month is not something we want esp as he had never been in cattery before and has weighed heavily on my conscience over whether fairer to re home with family in UK but have to say time reduction adds more pressure on accommodation if flying out together right now u have a month to find something permanent or temp but pet friendly if they are released after 10 days that's not long to get sorted

From Oz to UK is zero quarantine (as long as all the paperwork is right).

Also, FYI, the quarantine is going to come down to 10 days - likely in mid 2013. The Australians have drawn up a plan and veterinary requirements, they just need to push the green button and then 10 days is the way forward. Makes much more sense and will help these furballs lots!

Bob

such good news! :)

Although 30 days a long time, there's a good reason for it - so we just have to grin and bear it!!

Too late for my wee dog he flies out tomorrow - to Spotswood - was reassuring to read your comments Jewels&John because we are so worried about him in quarantine. We are in Altona just a short train ride to Spotswood so we will be visiting, we thought we wouldn't incase it unsettled him if we could only go once or twice, but Spotswood is so close we can go see him a few times :) He has been in kennels in the UK for 6 weeks already bless him, so I'm sure he'll settle down in Spotswood pretty well. (Hope so).

No update yet, i am afraid. If you like us on facebook, we put updates and bits on there. But dont worry as soon as we hear we will pop it on PIO

www.facebook.com/petairuk

Thanks Bob. Would love to join you on FB, but cannot as no one on FB knows what we are planning.

Wishing you and your Team a Merry Christmas and once we have the nod, I will be touch to sort out the Hooligans:xmas11:

I have totally misunderstood the 10 days!! We were at our neighbours BBQ and he works for AQIS and knowing how demented I had been with the full rabies introduction plus 30 days he does enjoying telling me import stories!! Anyway I thought he said the 150 days was being cut down to 10 days and the 30 days would still stand!! Mind you I had helped myself to a few fair drinkies by then and seeing as we had collected the babies the previous week I wasn't paying too much attention!!

i can't see it being due to financial reasons they would cut down quarantine as we were 2500 for the 30 days, times that by all the kennels and counter in the fact they run to almost full capacity then I would imagine they make enough to counter costs.

As aqis is a government department, they don't aim for huge profits. I see relatively few staff there for a lot of dogs and cats. Between their visits to the pens, occasional walks, feeds, cleaning, health checks etc. They are fairly diligent and busy. I am still happy that they are keeping the 30 days, and I am sure that anyone who lands in Australia and hears about a deadly dog virus that breaks out from an imported animal, that could have been prevented if only it was in for 30 days, will quickly agree.

Dogs and cats are much much much more resilient than we give them credit for. I think its mostly the owners who go through the most trauma ... over analysing. In quarantine, at least their are other ones of their breed around. I know a lot of people who almost never walk their dog, so quarantine would almost be like a holiday for some dogs - at least they are surrounded by their own pack.

PS I am not affiliated with Aqis in any way.

As aqis is a government department, they don't aim for huge profits. I see relatively few staff there for a lot of dogs and cats. Between their visits to the pens, occasional walks, feeds, cleaning, health checks etc. They are fairly diligent and busy. I am still happy that they are keeping the 30 days, and I am sure that anyone who lands in Australia and hears about a deadly dog virus that breaks out from an imported animal, that could have been prevented if only it was in for 30 days, will quickly agree.

Dogs and cats are much much much more resilient than we give them credit for. I think its mostly the owners who go through the most trauma ... over analysing. In quarantine, at least their are other ones of their breed around. I know a lot of people who almost never walk their dog, so quarantine would almost be like a holiday for some dogs - at least they are surrounded by their own pack.

PS I am not affiliated with Aqis in any way.

I totally agree with you Spotswood about the owners stressing. Guilty as charged:biggrin:

Selfishly,I have often wished that the quarantine would reduce, but as you say I would be mortified if an animal died and then put others at risk also, so as you say, it is not worth it.

My two Hooligans absolutely love being with other dogs and I do think they would love to be with so many other dogs.

• 1 month later...

This would be absolutely brilliant if the quarantine is to go down! I have 5 ( yes a bit crazy, but 4 are rescues that I brought from south africa to uk and quarantined for 6 months) and would bring them to oz ( they are family and to be honest, they hate the cold) the cost is more for the one month in quarantine than the 6 months that they did from cape town to uk... Please can someone stick a note on when / if this is really going to happen!!!!!!!!!! I love my babies and not looking forward to not having them around again...

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

New to this forum but I'm a qualified ping-ponger looking to return to Oz again in the near future. This would be amazing news if the quarantine time was reduced to 10days. Our dog is now older, and I fear the current 30 days would be too much for him ( and us ) Will definately be keeping an eye on this developing news as I would consider a move sooner if this were to be agreed.

Archived