Fremantle

blobby1000

We are fed up with Victoria and are heading home but the one place i thought could save our dream was Fremantle. A working class town full of hippies that I thought we may find our place in.

Then I looked at house prices.

The cheapest 2 bedroom house is $650,000

The cheapest rental 2 bed is $600 a week

That says it all

Australia is no longer a place to come for the good life. Its a place for the rich.

We are fed up with Victoria and are heading home but the one place i thought could save our dream was Fremantle. A working class town full of hippies that I thought we may find our place in.

Then I looked at house prices.

Yes, but it's part of a boom city at the moment.

You can find working class towns full of hippies with 3 bedroom homes for under $300,000 - but you have to look in other states.

Im not sure that Freo is what you described it as anymore, everyone I know still raves about it though, but its more for the restaurants and bars than anything else. I cant stand the traffic or the lack of parking personally.

It's funny isn't it - I love Freo and my OH can take it or leave it

It depends on where you choose to live. Fremantle is a huge tourist destination and very arty and vibrant...and not considered working class. Perhaps you could consider living a few miles out, then you would find cheaper property to rent or buy.

There are lots of coastal towns south of Perth where property is cheaper and the lifestyle gorgeous.However, if you want city life then you have to pay for it.

Australia is expensive to live in though, people just don't realise the cost of food etc before they come here.

Guest guest17301

There was a piece in the West today which quoted average weekly expenditure on groceries as $200 a week, not hugely different from a few years ago

Yes, but it's part of a boom city at the moment.

You can find working class towns full of hippies with 3 bedroom homes for under $300,000 - but you have to look in other states.

Can you give any examples?

Im just interested.

We are going home but I do wonder if there was a place somewhere with our name on it

Archived