one month in brisbane and want to go home

tfarrell

Guest paulwbafc

If you post your cv out leave it a few days if heard nothing just give a follow up call asking if they recieved it. Aussies take attention to people who take a genuine real interest. He might need to sign up with an agency as many firms mine included like to hire a tradie thru an agency to trial for few months before taking them on permanent. It is common here for firms to do that. They have a different approach here to uk. Very much a fair go approach. Prove your worth by having a go. If it was me i would literally be showing a lot of keen going to agencys companies asking if they dont have work where might i find it. Go for a beer down the local start chatting to people etc. Many jobs can be found by word of mouth. Go thru local firms in yellow pages ring them up. Might need to ring 20 firms and 1 comes up trumps. I have taken that kamikaze nothing to lose in your face approach and found work in few days. So tell you hubby to just go for it. He will get a job.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paulwbafc

The reason i say yellow pages is i have found work that way before. Landed a job because a guy was retiring and job was not advertised as i got in there first and i got a chance. I have been in oz 5 years. Found 5 jobs by myself got offered all 5 and shown interest in other jobs which i turned down. When you get work collect phone numbers as people will leave for other jobs. When you need a job in the future or want a change those numbers come in useful. When i am in a job i still put irons in the fire networking with co workers even if i am not that interested in them i still get there number as that could be a future job opportunity. I usually get chatty and get numbers off visiting technicians contractors on site short term etc. Work is out there just need to be smart.

My husband has a job now. So thats all sorted but I still just want to go home. I feel that its not all its cracked up to be and while the weather is AMAZING Im not sure what we have sacraficed back at home is really worth it. Spoke to hubbie last night and he said he will do whatever I want to do. CRYSTAL ball right now would be amazing!!! I can see how some people love it here but I think I bigged it up too much in my head. I dont think my children will gain more from living here. I know Ireland is going through a tough time at the moment, so dont need to be told that. I completely underestimated how homesick I would be. In fact we thought it would be my husband that would suffer. And yet here I am a big mess haha. Its hard cos if we do go home I will be living with my Mam till my husband gets work. So we will have to prepare ourselves for that. (will need a small mortgage to get a nice house-which wont happen till hes employed) But my daughter will go back to her lovely little school with all her friends. We will eventually get a small mortgage and buy in roughly the same area. My kids will have their Nannas with them growing up along with other family members I am extremely close to ie nephew, cousins, friends ive know from school. I think that since coming here that family and friends are the most important thing in the world. Something that my kids are missing out on. I just wish Ireland had the weather :-( Anyway will keep you all updated. Guess this is something I need to figure out for myself and what is right for us as a family.

The reason i say yellow pages is i have found work that way before. Landed a job because a guy was retiring and job was not advertised as i got in there first and i got a chance. I have been in oz 5 years. Found 5 jobs by myself got offered all 5 and shown interest in other jobs which i turned down. When you get work collect phone numbers as people will leave for other jobs. When you need a job in the future or want a change those numbers come in useful. When i am in a job i still put irons in the fire networking with co workers even if i am not that interested in them i still get there number as that could be a future job opportunity. I usually get chatty and get numbers off visiting technicians contractors on site short term etc. Work is out there just need to be smart.

My point was more about the mindset.

I heard a story about a girl who moved from Canada to Brisbane. She hated Canada. She hated Brisbane too so moved to Perth. She hated Perth.

Point is, some people hate wherever they live. It's not always about the place, it's about the mindset.

I thought Australia would be paradise until I moved here. When I did I just found it different, and the things that were different I hated because I wasn't used to them. I hated that most people I met in Perth were millionaires, and I hated that it was 40 degrees on Christmas Day instead of being cold and wet. It took me a long time to realise things were simply different, and not necessarily bad or worse.

I spent 2 years going back and forth to England. I find I miss England, but when I'm in England I miss Australia. In technical terms, I'm f*cked, basically. I can tell you Miss tfarell, if you go back to Ireland you'll be regretting not sticking it out in Brisbane.

Brisbane is a lovely place and has lots to offer. In time you'll see through the homesickness and see that. Surely that's worth experiencing? Stop thinking of it as a permanent thing. Your husband is working which should help. Convince yourself you'll see it through for another 6 months, enjoy it, then you can decide then if you want to go back to Ireland.

I live in Perth. I love Perth. It's not paradise, but it doesn't matter. It's still pretty good.

Who cares about the economy? It means didley squat.

Edited by pfeds

My husband has a job now. So thats all sorted but I still just want to go home. I feel that its not all its cracked up to be and while the weather is AMAZING Im not sure what we have sacraficed back at home is really worth it. Spoke to hubbie last night and he said he will do whatever I want to do. CRYSTAL ball right now would be amazing!!! I can see how some people love it here but I think I bigged it up too much in my head. I dont think my children will gain more from living here. I know Ireland is going through a tough time at the moment, so dont need to be told that. I completely underestimated how homesick I would be. In fact we thought it would be my husband that would suffer. And yet here I am a big mess haha. Its hard cos if we do go home I will be living with my Mam till my husband gets work. So we will have to prepare ourselves for that. (will need a small mortgage to get a nice house-which wont happen till hes employed) But my daughter will go back to her lovely little school with all her friends. We will eventually get a small mortgage and buy in roughly the same area. My kids will have their Nannas with them growing up along with other family members I am extremely close to ie nephew, cousins, friends ive know from school. I think that since coming here that family and friends are the most important thing in the world. Something that my kids are missing out on. I just wish Ireland had the weather :-( Anyway will keep you all updated. Guess this is something I need to figure out for myself and what is right for us as a family.

Pros and cons to both countries - and the grass is always greener. If you do go back to Ireland you'll at least know that you tried Oz instead of wondering 'what if'? Everything happens for a reason - maybe this is just meant to make you see what exactly you have in friends and family. Big decision but you will make the right one.

Its true what they say, 1 month is really so short, I did bus driving til my licences and quals were checked, it was great getting that money in my bank every fortnight, made some good friends and contacts too, people holiday here for longer. Look forward to an aussie xmas, its strange first time and as others say check it out again say March, time flies by and you will honestly regret such a short time

it does get better even if you do go home in the end

Guest Guest63690

tfarrel, I have never emigrated (my friend soon is), so I cannot claim to understand what you are going through, but I can empathise. I had to move 60 miles from my family for my husbands work and that broke my heart so I am definately not cut out for moving overseas. But I do admire the strength and courage of those that wish to try to find a better life for their family far away. The first thing I want to say is wish I had a crystal ball. Your confusion is understandable. Your self awareness is very impressive. You recognise that you bigged up Australia. I am sure many will relate to that. We all do it. Whether it be when we have a baby...when we get taken in by those fuzzy soft focus baby related ads with a blissful and refreshed looking mum....when we go and see a movie that everyone says is a masterpiece, that has us yawning after five minutes.....when we go on holiday that looks awesome in the brochures but turns out to be not as idyllic as they made out. So then we are left with the reality, which is that there are great bits to being a mum, but also stressful and exhausting bits, good bits in the film, but it may not be our cup of tea, and fun things to do on the holiday that is initially a bit disappointing.

At the moment you are going through a crash. You have built something up and now you are facing reality. The same stresses we face in day to day life in our country of origin are there when we move away. The same worries about money, health, kids, follow us (unless we are lucky enough to get a job that pays huge amounts more, then maybe money worries drop out of the equation).

You have these worries and are missing your family too. So its a double whammy.

Now of cours it is possible that life in Australia is not for you. After all a third of all migrants come home, so there is no shame in adding to those statistics. And if you do decide to come back because you realise how much your children gain from being part of an extended family, I for one won't say Ahhhhh I am so sorry it didn't work out. I will be clapping you on the back saying well done for realising what is really important to you.

However I had one niggle when I read you post that made me wonder if you need to give it more time. It was your comment about the weather being AMAZING. You also say you wish Ireland had the weather. Now this tells me you find weather to be a very important thing, and this is not true for everyone. I have family in Wexford and County Clare who rarely moan about the weather. After all it is the rain that makes it the Emerald Isle. But though I am sure you love Ireland, for you the weather is a downer. That much is clear.

So that got me thinking. If you come back now you will always idealise that wonderful weather in oz. Once you come back and life gets back to its usual routine, minus having a dream about Australia to put a spring in your step, you might start bigging up the weather. Then there is a danger you will want to come back. Which I know is not a terrible thing, but constant change and upheaval is very draining emotionally and financially. So my fogged up crystal ball says hang in there through the summer at least. You might find you don't like the heat which you can then offset against the weather you don't like in Ireland. For example I read a really interesting article recently by a brit who moved to Sydney and was on his way home after 2 and a half years. He was rating the UK and Oz side by side on all aspects of life from friendliness of the people to the culture and history. On some aspects Sydney did better and on others the UK won hands down. But when it came to the weather he rated oz and uk equal. He said he loved the four seasons in the UK, but could do with a bit less rain and cloud. Then he said he loved the Spring and Winter in Oz but hated the summer which he said he was ill suited to as he had fair skin and blue eyes. So see out the summer, you will either love it or hate it but either way at least you will be able to judge Oz more fairly.

After you see out the summer you may feel a lot more settled, but if not, how about a compromise. Would it be remotely possible to move to another country that may not have the weather of Oz, but has 'better' weather than Ireland. Or how about moving to the South of England. We don't have perfect weather but trust me, almost every time I speak to my rellies in Ireland and they say its raining there, its fine or sunny here. Plus there is plenty of work and you can get cheap as chip flights from Stanstead, Luton or Gatwick to Ireland to see your family. Just a thought.

Whatever you decide I wish you joy and happiness. :biggrin:

tfarrel, I have never emigrated (my friend soon is), so I cannot claim to understand what you are going through, but I can empathise. I had to move 60 miles from my family for my husbands work and that broke my heart so I am definately not cut out for moving overseas. But I do admire the strength and courage of those that wish to try to find a better life for their family far away. The first thing I want to say is wish I had a crystal ball. Your confusion is understandable. Your self awareness is very impressive. You recognise that you bigged up Australia. I am sure many will relate to that. We all do it. Whether it be when we have a baby...when we get taken in by those fuzzy soft focus baby related ads with a blissful and refreshed looking mum....when we go and see a movie that everyone says is a masterpiece, that has us yawning after five minutes.....when we go on holiday that looks awesome in the brochures but turns out to be not as idyllic as they made out. So then we are left with the reality, which is that there are great bits to being a mum, but also stressful and exhausting bits, good bits in the film, but it may not be our cup of tea, and fun things to do on the holiday that is initially a bit disappointing.

At the moment you are going through a crash. You have built something up and now you are facing reality. The same stresses we face in day to day life in our country of origin are there when we move away. The same worries about money, health, kids, follow us (unless we are lucky enough to get a job that pays huge amounts more, then maybe money worries drop out of the equation).

You have these worries and are missing your family too. So its a double whammy.

Now of cours it is possible that life in Australia is not for you. After all a third of all migrants come home, so there is no shame in adding to those statistics. And if you do decide to come back because you realise how much your children gain from being part of an extended family, I for one won't say Ahhhhh I am so sorry it didn't work out. I will be clapping you on the back saying well done for realising what is really important to you.

However I had one niggle when I read you post that made me wonder if you need to give it more time. It was your comment about the weather being AMAZING. You also say you wish Ireland had the weather. Now this tells me you find weather to be a very important thing, and this is not true for everyone. I have family in Wexford and County Clare who rarely moan about the weather. After all it is the rain that makes it the Emerald Isle. But though I am sure you love Ireland, for you the weather is a downer. That much is clear.

So that got me thinking. If you come back now you will always idealise that wonderful weather in oz. Once you come back and life gets back to its usual routine, minus having a dream about Australia to put a spring in your step, you might start bigging up the weather. Then there is a danger you will want to come back. Which I know is not a terrible thing, but constant change and upheaval is very draining emotionally and financially. So my fogged up crystal ball says hang in there through the summer at least. You might find you don't like the heat which you can then offset against the weather you don't like in Ireland. For example I read a really interesting article recently by a brit who moved to Sydney and was on his way home after 2 and a half years. He was rating the UK and Oz side by side on all aspects of life from friendliness of the people to the culture and history. On some aspects Sydney did better and on others the UK won hands down. But when it came to the weather he rated oz and uk equal. He said he loved the four seasons in the UK, but could do with a bit less rain and cloud. Then he said he loved the Spring and Winter in Oz but hated the summer which he said he was ill suited to as he had fair skin and blue eyes. So see out the summer, you will either love it or hate it but either way at least you will be able to judge Oz more fairly.

After you see out the summer you may feel a lot more settled, but if not, how about a compromise. Would it be remotely possible to move to another country that may not have the weather of Oz, but has 'better' weather than Ireland. Or how about moving to the South of England. We don't have perfect weather but trust me, almost every time I speak to my rellies in Ireland and they say its raining there, its fine or sunny here. Plus there is plenty of work and you can get cheap as chip flights from Stanstead, Luton or Gatwick to Ireland to see your family. Just a thought.

Whatever you decide I wish you joy and happiness. :biggrin:

Very thought provoking post, hearing it from your point of view. I had a dear friend who could have been you, hadnt realised the impact it probably had on her, we never spoke about it, was only a youngster too really, so didnt think or understand probably, when she failed to keep in contact or that in the early days, I called her, she never called me - thought I cant be bothered if you can't & we drifted apart, perhaps if we had of talked about it and how we could build something for the future, her visiting etc...

Anyway, having been away 10 yrs, left as 20 something year olds & returned as 30 something with x2 kids, we have been working hard to rebuild relationships with family & friends. We had no plans to return to the Uk, so over time, life gets busy & so not as much contact with family, lost contact with some friends. Had our work cut out for us on our return. Life moves on without you & you have to work out who you can rebuild with & where you fit as family dynamics change, especially the longer you are away.

I feel so helpless

Our stuff only arrived today and I spent the day crying

I just want to go home

Kids miss family and I just feel so guilty

Did everyone go through this

If I was handed a ticket home I would be gone

Husband still hasn't got job.. he's applied for anything goin

And rang up places asking for work.. still nothing

Feel really horrible

Just to wish you well, the early months moving anywhere are tough, especially to another country. One week you can be down on your luck & the next, something pops out of the bag & things start to come together. Very challenging being at home with young kids too, if you're not already, try & get out and join some playgroups, get talking to people. They say 80% of jobs arent advertised, so you never know who you'll get talking too. Best of luck.

Guest Guest63690
Very thought provoking post, hearing it from your point of view. I had a dear friend who could have been you, hadnt realised the impact it probably had on her, we never spoke about it, was only a youngster too really, so didnt think or understand probably, when she failed to keep in contact or that in the early days, I called her, she never called me - thought I cant be bothered if you can't & we drifted apart, perhaps if we had of talked about it and how we could build something for the future, her visiting etc...

Anyway, having been away 10 yrs, left as 20 something year olds & returned as 30 something with x2 kids, we have been working hard to rebuild relationships with family & friends. We had no plans to return to the Uk, so over time, life gets busy & so not as much contact with family, lost contact with some friends. Had our work cut out for us on our return. Life moves on without you & you have to work out who you can rebuild with & where you fit as family dynamics change, especially the longer you are away.

Hi Sunshine, thanks for your comments. It is painful losing a loved one to emigration. At the moment I'm all over the place about it and to be honest I have no idea how it will impact on our friendship, but I know for a fact it won't be a change for the best. It might be the best thing for her family and her life, but not for us. I cannot afford to visit her and after looking into their impending financial situation, I personally don't think they are going to afford to come back. I admire your determination to rebuild relationships of those that were left behind because in all honesty that might be how they felt when you left, left behind. Seeing my friend so excited about leaving, hurts. Because even though its childish my brain keeps saying things like, look how excited she is about leaving your friendship behind after 30 years. Hopefully that ugly feeling will pass. With your love and determination I am sure things will fall into place, with both friends and family.

Hi Sunshine, thanks for your comments. It is painful losing a loved one to emigration. At the moment I'm all over the place about it and to be honest I have no idea how it will impact on our friendship, but I know for a fact it won't be a change for the best. It might be the best thing for her family and her life, but not for us. I cannot afford to visit her and after looking into their impending financial situation, I personally don't think they are going to afford to come back. I admire your determination to rebuild relationships of those that were left behind because in all honesty that might be how they felt when you left, left behind. Seeing my friend so excited about leaving, hurts. Because even though its childish my brain keeps saying things like, look how excited she is about leaving your friendship behind after 30 years. Hopefully that ugly feeling will pass. With your love and determination I am sure things will fall into place, with both friends and family.

30 yrs is a long friendship, the truth is, it may take her going away, to fully appreciate it. Thats the think about emmigrating, sometimes you dont realise what you have until you go. With a bit of luck it will make your friendship stronger.

Time is a good healer & perfectly natural I think to have ugly feelings, because you are experiencing a sense of loss & its the whole emotional thing of hurt, anger & then acceptance.

I had a friend from Switzerland, who the whole time she was away spoke weekly to x2 of her close friends, who had children whilst she was away, so she put photos up for her kids & they webcamed too. Now after 10 yrs she has returned home & she has returned and has been able to pick up with them, I am sure because she put the time in. However, she wasnt homesick so probably was easier.

Thank you for your kind words too, it is terribly challenging trying to rebuild family/friendships. In some ways I feel we have opened a can of worms by returning, but the kids are benefits & we really wanted them to get to know their family. Really love where we are in Sussex, so that balances things out! I also don't regret going to Oz, and maybe like your friend, I would have been wondering "what if..." if we hadnt of gone. I truely believe we would have regretted not going, I just wish we had of had a plan before we left and hadn't have gone for so long in some ways....

Edited by Sunshine111

Guest guest74886

Hi tfarrell ( from Bridgeman Downs, Nth Brisbane)

I happened on your post whilst looking at other peoples reasons for going back, I do sympaththise with you but I really do want to say to you stick it out, you have youth on your side and this is a young persons country.

What you have to realise is that this is a new country and the way things are done here is very different to how it is done in the UK or Europe and it takes time to find out how to make the country work for you and your children. I think if we had children and we were both much younger we would not be contemplating going back.

It does take time to adjust and it takes even longer to get yourselves back to the financial position you may have had in Ireland, it took my wife 4 years before she got back to the comparative salary she had in London and I never got to the same seniority I had but we have had a good time here and had a lot of things we would never have had in the UK, a big 4WD,another car, a swimming pool, a house out in the country.

I know we have been lucky with the exchange rate 8 years ago and we know that a lot of people are doing it tough here and it is difficult emotionally but do give it a go, the weather is a big plus, the people are very nice to live with, there is very little aggro on the streets or in the clubs, there is very little crime so long as you stay out of the hotspots and the traffic is a doddle, although it is getting a bit bad getting into the center of town.

Schools are I think on the whole a bit better that the UK from what I hear and one big thing here, from my observations over the past few years, is that children are much better behaved in public and remain children well into their teens rather than becoming instant brats at age 10 as in the UK, I see lots of teenagers out with parents shopping and doing things as families rather than kids off doing mischief on their own, I know that's a bit glib and a bit sweeping but that is still something we remark on after 8 years.

If you are in Aspley have you thought about joining the KEDRON WAVELL RSL club for a cheap night out, it's very different to Ireland I'm sure but it does give you a night out at a resonable cost.

I really would try to hang on in there and get your citizenship and your passport and just try to get somethings back into your life to make up for all the things you feel you have lost.

If we were younger and felt we had more time to do all the things we would like to do, and which we never had time or money to do before, I do not think we would be going back and even tho we are most likely to go back we will not go to the UK, we are going to see if we can now make France work as we have enough capital and pension not to have to work there.

Really I know you must miss Ireland and family and all the reassurance of what you knew there but just keep on with it, age is on your side

Regards

Russell and Kate

Guest Guest63690
Hi tfarrell ( from Bridgeman Downs, Nth Brisbane)

Schools are I think on the whole a bit better that the UK from what I hear and one big thing here, from my observations over the past few years, is that children are much better behaved in public and remain children well into their teens rather than becoming instant brats at age 10 as in the UK, I see lots of teenagers out with parents shopping and doing things as families rather than kids off doing mischief on their own, I know that's a bit glib and a bit sweeping but that is still something we remark on after 8 years.

I would just like to reassure anyone going home that young people really are ok in Britain. Please do not be convinced otherwise by sensationalised hogwash spouted by rubbish papers like the Daily Mail. I have brought up three wonderful children in the UK (and we often go shopping, swimming, picnics, cinema, long walks, together). And I have numerous friends, relatives and acquaintances who have brought up children in the UK; children who I consider to be a credit to their mums and dad. These friends, family and acquaintances are spread out amongst Milton Keynes, North London, Peterborough,Taunton, North Wales, Liverpool, Hampshire and Sussex, so I do not think great kids are confined to one part of the Uk or to any particular income bracket. All the children I know went to good state schools, and have done very well educationally. Two of my firends children have dyslexia and their parents are very happy with the level of support they get. I genuinely do not know of one child who suddenly transformed into a brat aged ten. I can not speak for Australian children. I am sure most of them are also wonderful.

I would just like to reassure anyone going home that young people really are ok in Britain. Please do not be convinced otherwise by sensationalised hogwash spouted by rubbish papers like the Daily Mail. I have brought up three wonderful children in the UK (and we often go shopping, swimming, picnics, cinema, long walks, together). And I have numerous friends, relatives and acquaintances who have brought up children in the UK; children who I consider to be a credit to their mums and dad. These friends, family and acquaintances are spread out amongst Milton Keynes, North London, Peterborough,Taunton, North Wales, Liverpool, Hampshire and Sussex, so I do not think great kids are confined to one part of the Uk or to any particular income bracket. All the children I know went to good state schools, and have done very well educationally. Two of my firends children have dyslexia and their parents are very happy with the level of support they get. I genuinely do not know of one child who suddenly transformed into a brat aged ten. I can not speak for Australian children. I am sure most of them are also wonderful.

Remember most of those skilled migrants here and others gained their quals with training based in the UK, learned their skills after

attending uk schools which lead to their chosen trade which in turn lead to their chance to try living in another country.

Thank You UK, cant be that bad can it?

Great post and so true.

Guest guest74886
I would just like to reassure anyone going home that young people really are ok in Britain. Please do not be convinced otherwise by sensationalised hogwash spouted by rubbish papers like the Daily Mail. I have brought up three wonderful children in the UK (and we often go shopping, swimming, picnics, cinema, long walks, together). And I have numerous friends, relatives and acquaintances who have brought up children in the UK; children who I consider to be a credit to their mums and dad. These friends, family and acquaintances are spread out amongst Milton Keynes, North London, Peterborough,Taunton, North Wales, Liverpool, Hampshire and Sussex, so I do not think great kids are confined to one part of the Uk or to any particular income bracket. All the children I know went to good state schools, and have done very well educationally. Two of my firends children have dyslexia and their parents are very happy with the level of support they get. I genuinely do not know of one child who suddenly transformed into a brat aged ten. I can not speak for Australian children. I am sure most of them are also wonderful.[/quote

Hi Wronged

Sorry you took it so much to heart and it is not said to categorise every child in the UK as a monster but as a comment about the differences in general, I was talking from personal experience having lived in Cheltenham, Gloucester, and all over London until 2004 and my memories are of gangs of kids making peoples lives a misery on the Council estates I used to manage and of my neighbours cars being vandalised parked outside their homes, also the frequent spectacle of children in cafes and restaurants running around causing noise and disturbance.

I also remember the protests from parents about shops selling highly sexualised clothes and underwear for children and the complaints from parents about how quickly children 'grew up' in the UK and when did you travel on public transport in the UK and a schoolchild automatically get up and give you their seat, this is 'de riguer' here Brisbane.

These were the differences I was referring to and far from reading the ' Daily W(m)ail' I was a paid up member of 'The Guardian' fan club when I was there.

One thing you mention which is particularly interesting is the support for children with learning difficulties in the UK, this is one of my criticisms of the Australian system is its lack of comprehensive support for people with disabilities and lack of concern for those with humanitarian needs, altho Australians will always deny this.

Anyway life is too short to nitpick about issues which are a matter of public record

Regards

Oz to france

Edited by guest74886

I would just like to reassure anyone going home that young people really are ok in Britain. Please do not be convinced otherwise by sensationalised hogwash spouted by rubbish papers like the Daily Mail. I have brought up three wonderful children in the UK (and we often go shopping, swimming, picnics, cinema, long walks, together). And I have numerous friends, relatives and acquaintances who have brought up children in the UK; children who I consider to be a credit to their mums and dad. These friends, family and acquaintances are spread out amongst Milton Keynes, North London, Peterborough,Taunton, North Wales, Liverpool, Hampshire and Sussex, so I do not think great kids are confined to one part of the Uk or to any particular income bracket. All the children I know went to good state schools, and have done very well educationally. Two of my firends children have dyslexia and their parents are very happy with the level of support they get. I genuinely do not know of one child who suddenly transformed into a brat aged ten. I can not speak for Australian children. I am sure most of them are also wonderful.[/quote

Hi Wronged

Sorry you took it so much to heart and it is not said to categorise every child in the UK as a monster but as a comment about the differences in general, I was talking from personal experience having lived in Cheltenham, Gloucester, and all over London until 2004 and my memories are of gangs of kids making peoples lives a misery on the Council estates I used to manage and of my neighbours cars being vandalised parked outside their homes, also the frequent spectacle of children in cafes and restaurants running around causing noise and disturbance.

I also remember the protests from parents about shops selling highly sexualised clothes and underwear for children and the complaints from parents about how quickly children 'grew up' in the UK and when did you travel on public transport in the UK and a schoolchild automatically get up and give you their seat, this is 'de riguer' here Brisbane.

These were the differences I was referring to and far from reading the ' Daily W(m)ail' I was a paid up member of 'The Guardian' fan club when I was there.

One thing you mention which is particularly interesting is the support for children with learning difficulties in the UK, this is one of my criticisms of the Australian system is its lack of comprehensive support for people with disabilities and lack of concern for those with humanitarian needs, altho Australians will always deny this.

Anyway life is too short to nitpick about issues which are a matter of public record

Regards

Oz to france

Fraction of families and kids in the UK are anywhere near what you say you have experienced, I found the kids in the major cities of France far more troubled and dangerous.