Ainsley Harriott 'Amazed' by Perth Food Prices

StevieF8

The groupon thing looks a good idea, surely there must be some places where you can get a good deal

I always read the reviews on http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/338/Perth-restaurants.html I can check the prices as most places have menus or links to the websites

That way I know the prices before I go out and im not in for a shock when I get there and can read the reviews or the blogs, which are usually very good, to get a feel for the place

Dont want to rock up somewhere that is going to charge me $50 for rubbish

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always read the reviews on http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/338/Perth-restaurants.html I can check the prices as most places have menus or links to the websites

That way I know the prices before I go out and im not in for a shock when I get there and can read the reviews or the blogs, which are usually very good, to get a feel for the place

Dont want to rock up somewhere that is going to charge me $50 for rubbish

yeah thats a good idea! if i come over then i'll just be asking the pio locals where the best places are lol

They paid about £25 each for the four of them, with drinks, it looks a lot dearer at Ainsleys place, unless I missed the early bird special.

Mmmm. Unless my math is wrong. They paid $51 each which is about 34 pounds. Heston offers 3 courses for 36.

I went to Nobu in London. Cost was around 90 pounds. Went to Nobu Perth $350 for almost identical meal

But your example is not the average of a meal in perth with drinks, i easily paid 3 or 4 times what you paid on nights out, also the cost of food and booze in supermarkets and bottle stores is just to high, as I say lack of competition and these big companies fixing prices does not help, perth is very expensive, no getting away from that fact ali.

Your post looks like you're trying to 'prove me wrong' PB and at the end of the day, I actually live here and know what I spend. My friends and I don't pay through the nose when we have our get togethers, my hubby and I paid over $100 for the two of us plus drinks for his birthday meal (but we enjoyed it and at the end of the day .. it's our money to spend). I honestly don't know why you've so worried about the cost of living in WA when you have no intention of returning.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Mmmm. Unless my math is wrong. They paid $51 each which is about 34 pounds. Heston offers 3 courses for 36.

I went to Nobu in London. Cost was around 90 pounds. Went to Nobu Perth $350 for almost identical meal

Yer right, your maths is wrong.

I used the currency convertor which has the latest exchange rates - obviously similar to Hoffs as we both came out with a similar price. However, it's irrespective isn't it how much I paid in GBP - because I earn and spend $. But whichever way you look at it $207 divided by 5 people = $41.40 each.

The 36 GPB at Hestons was for a lunch menu with only 2 choices for each course (none of which I'd like) - so there'd be little point in my going.

I think he is right, the cost even taking into consideration the australian wage (which isnt that high as some have stated), food is way over priced (compared to the quality or lack of it).

It isnt just British or new migrants.

I live outside of the UK and frequently travel all over the world and the food in Perth is mostly chav food (burger and chips etc or low quality Italian etc) It costs a bomb or equal to what you would pay for 5 star anywhere else. Why do the Ozzies put up with this ripp off?

Glad you said it instead of me....you are 100% correct though

im glad im more of a pub grub type of girl lol even if that makes me chavvy to some people! :laugh:

Its not chavvy its normal, most people here have the pub grub lifestyle and save the posh stuff for special occasions and that was EXACTLY what we did back in the UK too. YOu'll be fine. ignore the flipping doom and bloody gloom people obviously another rainy day back in the motherland :wink::laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
yep, he's clearly not come across Hoff's 2.2 Law

Its not my law, it's PIO law, I use 2.4 to £1 because in the last 3 or 4 years wages haven't gone up really in the UK, but they have gone up close to 20% in Australa so the gap to me has widened, but almost everyone else uses the $2.2 to £1 figure.

Archived