Can't get Telstra Internet with no credit history in oz

Scuba Dan

I spent a frustrating afternoon in a Telstra shop today after a sales rep on the phone couldn't process my order for landline and broadband bundle as I don't get have an Aussie drivers licence. Apparently they have to physically sight your passport.

Long story short, it took them over two hours to establish that my property was on their network after speaking to three different departments!

I originally wanted to take the landline and 200GB a month bundle for $100 but surprise, surprise, as I have no credit, the credit check was declined! They offered me 5GB a month to build up a credit profile for $95 ... Needless to say that I told them to shove it and just took the land line on its own ... 5GB would be gone in one day in our house!

Has anybody had any similar experiences or can you recommend a service provider who does not credit check to give you broadband? We're located in Upper Coomera, QLD.

Many thanks

Dan

Guest ComingDownUnder

Hey Dan,

Just wanted to say I feel your pain with regards to Telstra! We were only offered the 5GB package despite the fact we passed the credit check and they saw all of the required ID for the 100 point check and then some. Spent hours in the store with staff that didn't know their backside from their elbow. A few days later we got a letter saying we could get the 120GB and that we needed to call them, then when we called they said the letter was sent by mistake and they wanted $95 for 5GB or we could have nothing.

Needless to say we told them to shove it. Walked in to the Optus store down the street, gave them our ID, filled out 1 form, the helpful and friendly sales assistant called it through and we were installed 5 days later. $67 or there abouts for home phone and broadband, no install fee, quick and hassle free install and set up and no complaints about service (we are in Melbourne inner east suburbs). We had been in Aus 4 weeks when we got our install.

Tell Telstra to stick it and give Optus a call ; ) iiNet are meant to be great too and offer VOIP (voice over IP) in stead of a landline - they were our next stop if Optus couldn't help.

Good luck!

Same issue here with Telstra Perth

cable connection with speeds up to 100mb & have to go with iinet's shite 2.5mb speed due to no credit history. They wouldn't even accept a 3 month advance payment!!

Dan, Ive just had the exact same nightmare with Telstra, even with a WA driving licence I was offered the 5GB/month because we didnt have credit history with anyone else. We went with Westnet instead (part of iinet) and now have 200GB/month for £89.90. The only downside is that we still had to get Telstra to connect the landline cos we live in the sticks....took me about a week and many phonecalls for them to be able to find our house on their network!!

Good luck, hope u get broadband soon

Nerys

We are with iinet and it was a nightmare getting it set up. I had to call 12 times to sort out issues and get the billing correct and it actually set up. They kept sending us bills for things we hadn't had yet and made mistake after mistake.

Saying that the internet itself has been fine since we actually got it working. And the billing too.

Guest misspearl

Telstra is my favorite company. The service for my mobile and broadband are fantastic with occasionaly bumps here and there. People who just arrive in Australia shouldn't even complain about things, seriously just build up ur credit ratings like other australians do. I have to spend at least 1 year building up credit history! Optus and Vodafone are so bad that they shouldn't even existed!

Yes, when we first moved here. We lived with friends for 2 weeks, moved into a rental, rang telstra the first day and it was fitted approx a few days later.

No problems at all.

We ahve had it ever since and was easy when we moved rentals.

Back in 2009?

I'm also out of the Optus coverage unfortunately. I think I will change my drivers licence to an Aussie licence and give it another go. Anyone know how to find out where to go in the Gold Coast to change your licence?

Yes, when we first moved here. We lived with friends for 2 weeks, moved into a rental, rang telstra the first day and it was fitted approx a few days later.

No problems at all.

We ahve had it ever since and was easy when we moved rentals.

May I ask how much that all costs? And can you bundle the tv and broadband like with Sky and virgin in the UK?

Thanks for any info

I spent a frustrating afternoon in a Telstra shop today after a sales rep on the phone couldn't process my order for landline and broadband bundle as I don't get have an Aussie drivers licence. Apparently they have to physically sight your passport.

Long story short, it took them over two hours to establish that my property was on their network after speaking to three different departments!

I originally wanted to take the landline and 200GB a month bundle for $100 but surprise, surprise, as I have no credit, the credit check was declined! They offered me 5GB a month to build up a credit profile for $95 ... Needless to say that I told them to shove it and just took the land line on its own ... 5GB would be gone in one day in our house!

Has anybody had any similar experiences or can you recommend a service provider who does not credit check to give you broadband? We're located in Upper Coomera, QLD.

Many thanks

Dan

Can relate to everything you said as we had the same experience with them...and after several annoying and frustrating calls to them we could only have the landline!!!!! not useful as we were not approved for the internet as they f'd it up !!!! we offered to pay upfront and still couldnt and wouldnt help us so we then went with Iprimus and they have been very good...no issues.

I can only tell you the deal we are on now, as I cannot remember 3 yrs back. Right now we pay for internet ( more usage than we can use, think its 200 gb), home phone ( free local calls cheap international) and foxtel every channel, this costs $215 with multi room too ( we have foxtel in 2 rooms, one has the playback, pause and record function, so we can record programmes on to it)

May I ask how much that all costs? And can you bundle the tv and broadband like with Sky and virgin in the UK?

Thanks for any info

Guest tandcmum

we hit the same stumbling block aswell, we had to phone a special number as our property has telstra velocity smart system and intially we were declined on our credit check, not sure what they did though but they over rided it and made us get through and we were able to get 200gb bundle with a T box. We can't get anything else for 6 months though as we are only allowed 3 services which is phone, internet and t box. The daft thing is we managed to drive away with a 40k brand new car on finance within a week of arriving but yet we can't get a flippin internet service, oh and hubby works for them too......lol

Guest lisa crowe

Many thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, we had the same problem with Telstra Sydney, as luck would have it TPG an online based company were advertising on TV for there service, we now have internet unlimited down load, and phone upto 100 mins per month for international calls for the grand price of $59 a month....Telstra are crap

Archived