Parents want to join us in Australia

Guest sarah_sh_84

We came here ourselves on a Parental contributory visa, at the time we applied it cost us $55,000 plus the costs of an agent say $2000 then medicals, and police reports. You then have to consider whether you are going to transfer any pension money over into an Australian super fund.

To be brutally honest it will all depend on how bad they want it. Money can be made over as your father is young enough to take up work again and to earn a decent wage. There are a lot of things to consider, one being whether his qualifications would be recognized in Australia as he may have to obtain different certs to match Australian standards.

We have been here permanently now for nearly three years and regret none of it. Like your parents we were coming over regularly and spending nearly four grand a visit!! you add that up and deduct it from your visa costs and it would not be too long before you started to break even.

So whats it to be? worry about your retirement or worry if the little one's hats on straight in the sunshine? I know which one I would take.

By the way I hit 63 in June and my wife will be 65 in December. If we can do it so can your parents, believe me it's worth it but I know we are all different and have different perspectives.

Good luck in whatever your parents choose and please keep us all posted.

PPS I'm still working even though I was sick for 7 months and survived a botched operation, ( Hint) Life really is too short

Just a foot note having seen the post above. I cannt say for sure how long a parental visa would take now but it took us about 18 months to obtain ours

I am applying for a contributory 143 parent visa and last years 2010-2011 was $38,000 per person,i believe it is now $42,000 per person then there's the $10,000 you give the government which they hold for 10yrs incase you should fall on hard times as you can't claim on their benifit system ( quite rightly so in my opinion) i have wanted this for so long as i fell in love with perth on my first visit in 2003. I am 54yrs and work in care the care jobs are plenty so i shouldn't have to much trouble finding employment. I have a son in Perth and a daughter here in the UK who has decided to stay as her hubby does not want to make the move, i shall feel torn but this decision has been a selfish one, it's impossible to choose between children so i have made the decision on were i want to spend the rest of life and Perth won, i just love the lifestyle and sunshine, also my first granchild is due in october so i am hoping my visa is granted before then as i so want to be there for his arrival. I had a breast lump found early this year which was removed and found to be benign ( thank goodness ) it does make you stop and think and evaluate your life,and as mentioned above life is to short we should be doing what we can while we can. I will be living a simple life in perth as i know my budget will be tight, but my needs are simple, also i live alone which doesn't make the cost of living any cheaper, but i work hard here in the UK ( salary is low in care )and i know i shall work hard in Perth. I have quite a few years left to work in perth to accrue a superanuation with added contributions, something i would not be able to do here given the work and pension situation . There is a thread on this site for us parents on this visa which is a great help and support, a lot of parents have sold their homes to fund the visa but reading the posts after they have got their visas and started living the dream none have regretted the cost or their decision to join family. I hope your parents manage to make the move on whatever visa they get, the waiting time for this visa is approx 12-15 mths from lodging to visa being granted at the moment. Ann

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think I won't, read the page of the link. Particularly this sentence.

It is $42k EACH.

Plus the first instalment + medicals + police clearances + document costs+ travel costs + bond => $100 000 +

The brand new PIO parent visa thread.......... is the thread i was mentioning, any questions you or your parents have ask on there or simply read through all the posts, although be warned there's a lot. It has heaps of info and everyone posting is going through the same process , like i said i have found it no end of support. All the very best to you and mum & dad , hope you get the visa. Ann

Guest sarah_sh_84
A business visa and a skilled migrant visa are two VERY different things, which one do you mean? For the business visa he would need to be running his own company and have a very high turnover, I can't remember what but I am sure it is a good $0.5million a year. Once he gets he he would have to set up, employ Australian etc.

Skilled migrant visa might be more realistic for most one man band plumbers, but the trouble is he might not be able to pass the points test at age 48, it gets very hard to pass after age 45 as there are no points for age and most people need to get age points to pass.

Realistically, the parent visa others have mentioned looks like the best option. It costs what it costs, Australian immigration system does not consider itself responsible for reuniting parents and adult children that have chosen to move to the other side of the world.

Thank you yes I've looked at both visas the business one and the skilled migration one and I think your right they would be better off with the parent visa, which is very costly. I guess it will all depend how serious they are about which I'll need to speak to them about. I know that my step dad will have a hard time gaining enough points on the skilled visa points test :-( thank you for your input :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84
You can do the tourist visa and have them fly out and renew. I'm not sure how feasible this is long term, but it could work for a few years while the kids are little. You get a lot of holidays in Bali for $100000.

Thank you - realistically they will need to work and earn money here & I don't think they will be ale to work on a tourist visa but good thought

Guest sarah_sh_84
What about a 457 visa? See if you can find a company willing to employ your stepdad and sponsor him, these visa's only last 4 years but if they are willing to come over on a temparery basis then this could be their cheapest option. The company can then also sponsor him for PR but he would need to do it quickly as I think they can make Exceptional circumstances for the age requirement 49 to 50 and it becomes more difficult over 50. You should speak to an agent I'm sure they tell you better than me.

Thank you - I'll get my step dad to look into that too. My mum applied for a job, got interviewed but they wouldn't sponsor her and now she is just reaching 50 I thi k she will find it hard. So yes I think my step dad needs to be the one who goes for the 457. An agent wold probably help with all my options. Does anyone know how you go about getting an appointment with someone from immigration? Do you just call them up?

Guest sarah_sh_84
Hi, sorry I can't offer any advice but I do have a question - how much quicker it is to get a contributory visa approved versus the standard parent visa? Also why have you suggested a budget of $100k when the visa is $42k? I'm guessing there are lots of additional costs to consider I just don't know what they are...

Thanks

Good question, I've read an answer furthering that will help answer that.

Guest sarah_sh_84
We came here ourselves on a Parental contributory visa, at the time we applied it cost us $55,000 plus the costs of an agent say $2000 then medicals, and police reports. You then have to consider whether you are going to transfer any pension money over into an Australian super fund.

To be brutally honest it will all depend on how bad they want it. Money can be made over as your father is young enough to take up work again and to earn a decent wage. There are a lot of things to consider, one being whether his qualifications would be recognized in Australia as he may have to obtain different certs to match Australian standards.

We have been here permanently now for nearly three years and regret none of it. Like your parents we were coming over regularly and spending nearly four grand a visit!! you add that up and deduct it from your visa costs and it would not be too long before you started to break even.

So whats it to be? worry about your retirement or worry if the little one's hats on straight in the sunshine? I know which one I would take.

By the way I hit 63 in June and my wife will be 65 in December. If we can do it so can your parents, believe me it's worth it but I know we are all different and have different perspectives.

Good luck in whatever your parents choose and please keep us all posted.

PPS I'm still working even though I was sick for 7 months and survived a botched operation, ( Hint) Life really is too short

Just a foot note having seen the post above. I cannt say for sure how long a parental visa would take now but it took us about 18 months to obtain ours

Thank you so much for the valuable I formation you have provided. Can I ask was there a separet cost for each parent or one cost for the visa for you both? Your total came to $57,000 right?

I think you are totally right it depends how bad they want it. As it has only just come to my attention that this is their intention I haven't had much chance to talk to them in depth as yet. I don't think they realise how difficult and expensive it can causally be. You did the quick and most expensive parental visa option didn't you? As for flights well my parents refuse to fly anything other than business class so they spend a lot of money getting her each year anyway. Your probably right when you say it would even out in the end.

Thank you for the top on skills and cqualification recognition in this country - I didn't even think of that.

Im glad you have no regrets, it's wonderful to hear lovely stories. Enjoy and I'll try and kee you all posted. :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84
The parent visa fee needs to be paid for each parent, not for one application. So that is most of the $100k that wrussell alludes to I guess.

Ok I understand thank you. Sids dad didn't seem to spend so much. Is it definitely per parent?

Guest sarah_sh_84
Well It must have gone up a hell of a lot Rupert as the $55K I quoted was for the pair of us. At the time it equated to 25,000 GBP (forgot about the crappy exchange rate!!).

As I said in my other post, it depends on how bad you want it.

Ok great so this has highlighted to me to check if the visa fee is per parent or for both. Thanks guys :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84
Ok great so this has highlighted to me to check if the visa fee is per parent or for both. Thanks guys :-)

How many geriatric couples have they dragged kicking and screaming to the airport to deport? You could always claim asylum. The UK has been very harsh to pensioners recently. Some would even say inhumane. Could you claim you were unfit to fly? I love civil disobediance. This could have legs if you got the numbers up. You should start up a facebook campaign!

You could call them Goat people!

(Geriatrics Outstay Alloted Time)

Love the humor thank you :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84

I am applying for a contributory 143 parent visa and last years 2010-2011 was $38,000 per person,i believe it is now $42,000 per person then there's the $10,000 you give the government which they hold for 10yrs incase you should fall on hard times as you can't claim on their benifit system ( quite rightly so in my opinion) i have wanted this for so long as i fell in love with perth on my first visit in 2003. I am 54yrs and work in care the care jobs are plenty so i shouldn't have to much trouble finding employment. I have a son in Perth and a daughter here in the UK who has decided to stay as her hubby does not want to make the move, i shall feel torn but this decision has been a selfish one, it's impossible to choose between children so i have made the decision on were i want to spend the rest of life and Perth won, i just love the lifestyle and sunshine, also my first granchild is due in october so i am hoping my visa is granted before then as i so want to be there for his arrival. I had a breast lump found early this year which was removed and found to be benign ( thank goodness ) it does make you stop and think and evaluate your life,and as mentioned above life is to short we should be doing what we can while we can. I will be living a simple life in perth as i know my budget will be tight, but my needs are simple, also i live alone which doesn't make the cost of living any cheaper, but i work hard here in the UK ( salary is low in care )and i know i shall work hard in Perth. I have quite a few years left to work in perth to accrue a superanuation with added contributions, something i would not be able to do here given the work and pension situation . There is a thread on this site for us parents on this visa which is a great help and support, a lot of parents have sold their homes to fund the visa but reading the posts after they have got their visas and started living the dream none have regretted the cost or their decision to join family. I hope your parents manage to make the move on whatever visa they get, the waiting time for this visa is approx 12-15 mths from lodging to visa being granted at the moment. Ann

Thank you Ann that is extremely useful and very up to date information you have provided, it makes things a lot clearer. I guess I will see how committed my parents are. I'm not sure they will go for it which is sad but then they have Ben known to surprise me before now. Thank you and good luck with your visa I hope it is granted for you before your grand child arrives. Such an exciting time. Since I had my children I feel torn between Australia and the UK as I feel so bad keeping them away from their family, but I know they will have a wonderful like here. While they are so young it is tough - the boys are not 19 months and 6 months (only 13 months etween them) we have absolutely no family here in Brisbane and until now it hasn't been a problem, but now we have the children I miss the support and family so much. :-(

Guest sarah_sh_84

Plus the first instalment + medicals + police clearances + document costs+ travel costs + bond => $100 000 +

:-( thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated.

Have they missed the boat with skills route? The visa limit has now been lifted to 50. COuld your Mum approach another company and see if they could sponsor her now with this raise?

This isn't the route I am taking so not entirely sure of the ins and out. But worth a look

Hi this is my very first post on PIO forums so I apologize if this doesn't turn out well.

Basically I just found out that my parents have been tying to migrate to Australia to be near us for the past 18 months. Since we have had two children, they want to be here to help us so getting here fairly quickly is something they would like. However, I'm not sure where to start with them. I'll try and keep things brief.

My husband and I moved here almost 5 years ago, we hold pernament visas. My parents are now 48 and 50 yrs old. My step dad is a plumber and also has gas certificates, my mum has a complicated job, however, she tells me she applied for a job but was refused because they wouldn't sponsor her for a visa due to her age!! They both wish to continue working. My step dad currently owns his own business.

I guess I'm wondering what the quickest and least costly way is to get them out here? I've looked at so many visas but they either cost the earth or take a long time. Do you think it would be best to make an appointment o speak to someone in immigration? I'm sure my step dad would be able to get a business visa due to his skills and he is younger than my mum. I'm thinking that a business visa is cheaper and quicker as the parent visas are both very costly and can take years. The quick method can cost around $42,0000 and the slow method possibly a wait up to 15 years. My parents have money and can support themselves but I know that it would be silly for them to spend so much on a visa. it seems your parents can only migrate if you have a lot of money or are prepared to wait a long time. Their support would be more valuable to us now, as we have two children under two.

Anyway can anyone give me any info? Has anyone got their parents out here? How did you do it? How long did it take?

I should also mention that my parents are coming on holiday in January for a few weeks. There are in shore options as well aren't there?

Thank you I hope someone can help me

Guest sarah_sh_84

Have they missed the boat with skills route? The visa limit has now been lifted to 50. COuld your Mum approach another company and see if they could sponsor her now with this raise?

This isn't the route I am taking so not entirely sure of the ins and out. But worth a look

Thank you, yes I think she missed the boat, although I don't know how long ago she had the interview so I'll have to ask her. She only turns 50 tomorrow so I'm not sure. I know that he said the company she applied for the job said they wouldn't sponsor her visa I'm not 100% sure why as we didn't have long to talk. They only told me a few days ago & have been busy with 50th birthday parties etc since so I hope to talk in more depth with then next week :-) I was just doing some research for them so when I talk to them next I have some information for them. Do you mean tht the visas can be sponsored for 50 year olds too?

Guest sarah_sh_84

Sodry another question but do you know how long ago it was lifted to 50?

Guest Longtime Lurker
Sodry another question but do you know how long ago it was lifted to 50?

It increased on 1 July with Skillselect but it is very difficult to gain the points at that age I believe but might be worth checking it out.

My parents (54 & 56 currently) are putting their parent applications in next month and they are by no-means millionnaires! They are putting in an application for the 173 parent contributory visa which is a 2 year temporary visa, during which time they can apply for the permanent 143 parent visa. The benefit of this is that they can spread the cost. There is the $2,060 application fee and then hopefully a year down the line they'll be asked to pay $25,330 EACH and then will be able to move. They'll then apply for the 143 and be asked to pay a further $16,885 EACH and the $10,000 AoS bond.

They are funding this through the sale of their UK house, otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it. The plan is for them to continue working for at least another 10 years in Perth as they will need to do this to be able to recoup some of the hit to their retirement fund.

I keep checking with them to make sure they are sure - but they love Australia and all three of their kids now live here, so they'll move heaven and earth to try and get here now, even if that means extending their working life by a few years.

Guest sarah_sh_84
My parents (54 & 56 currently) are putting their parent applications in next month and they are by no-means millionnaires! They are putting in an application for the 173 parent contributory visa which is a 2 year temporary visa, during which time they can apply for the permanent 143 parent visa. The benefit of this is that they can spread the cost. There is the $2,060 application fee and then hopefully a year down the line they'll be asked to pay $25,330 EACH and then will be able to move. They'll then apply for the 143 and be asked to pay a further $16,885 EACH and the $10,000 AoS bond.

They are funding this through the sale of their UK house, otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it. The plan is for them to continue working for at least another 10 years in Perth as they will need to do this to be able to recoup some of the hit to their retirement fund.

I keep checking with them to make sure they are sure - but they love Australia and all three of their kids now live here, so they'll move heaven and earth to try and get here now, even if that means extending their working life by a few years.

Thank you for your story & information. I guess I need to see how serious my parents really are & I think most if it boils down to where they want to retire! However, the 2 year temporary seems a good option as they get to see if they like it and then decided later. Thank you you have certainly given me something else to put to them to discuss. It would be good for them to test the waters first, as they have ony even been here twice for a few weeks at a time. Is the first installment per person as well? And the $10,000 bond? Is that $10,000 each? Thank you for your help. I'm so grateful for all the info everyone has. Sarah

Thank you for your story & information. I guess I need to see how serious my parents really are & I think most if it boils down to where they want to retire! However, the 2 year temporary seems a good option as they get to see if they like it and then decided later. Thank you you have certainly given me something else to put to them to discuss. It would be good for them to test the waters first, as they have ony even been here twice for a few weeks at a time. Is the first installment per person as well? And the $10,000 bond? Is that $10,000 each? Thank you for your help. I'm so grateful for all the info everyone has. Sarah

Yes the first installment is per person so $50,660 for the 2 year temp visa, then during the two years they apply for the perm visa which is $33,770 for the both of them. Still totals up to be the same cost as the permanent visa ($84,430), but just helps to spread the cost. The AoS bond is $10,000 for the both of them, not each. Technically supposed to come from the sponsoring child, but most parents pay this across to the sponsor for them to then pay.

Guest sarah_sh_84
Yes the first installment is per person so $50,660 for the 2 year temp visa, then during the two years they apply for the perm visa which is $33,770 for the both of them. Still totals up to be the same cost as the permanent visa ($84,430), but just helps to spread the cost. The AoS bond is $10,000 for the both of them, not each. Technically supposed to come from the sponsoring child, but most parents pay this across to the sponsor for them to then pay.

Thank you :-)

They'll then apply for the 143 and be asked to pay a further $16,885 EACH and the $10,000 AoS bond.

Notes:

1. The fee to progress to the 143 as a 173 visaholder will most probably be stepped up each year between now and when the 143 is applied for.

2. With a 143 visa application the AoS is $10k for the first applicant plus $4k for the second applicant (assuming the assurer is not a limited company):

http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4/ssguide-9.4.4/ssguide-9.4.4.10.html

3. One risk with doing the 173 to 143 strategy is the problem in satisfying the AoS income requirement if the presently intending assurer's situation changes (eg loses his or her job). Remember that satisfying the AoS requirement could be 2+ years away - I recommend that you make sure the parents are aware of this.

Best regards.

They'll then apply for the 143 and be asked to pay a further $16,885 EACH and the $10,000 AoS bond.

Notes:

1. The fee to progress to the 143 as a 173 visaholder will most probably be stepped up each year between now and when the 143 is applied for.

2. With a 143 visa application the AoS is $10k for the first applicant plus $4k for the second applicant (assuming the assurer is not a limited company):

http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4/ssguide-9.4.4/ssguide-9.4.4.10.html

3. One risk with doing the 173 to 143 strategy is the problem in satisfying the AoS income requirement if the presently intending assurer's situation changes (eg loses his or her job). Remember that satisfying the AoS requirement could be 2+ years away - I recommend that you make sure the parents are aware of this.

Best regards.

Just so I understand point 3. Are you saying that if the sponsor (my brother) was to lose his job and no longer be able to be in a financial position to support our parents then they wouldn't be granted the 143? If that was the case, does the sponsor of the 173 have to also be the sponsor of the 143? So if that happened (which I think unlikely given his trade), would I then be able to take over as sponsor as at that point I'd be able to meet the two year residency requirement?

Archived