Parents want to join us in Australia

Guest sarah_sh_84

Guest karlnchris

dont give up on sponsorship. we have a friend who has just been sponsored by the mater hospital and she is 65 years of age. so it is possible

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sarah_sh_84
Is your step dad looking for sponsorship as well as your mum? Don't give up at the first rejection!

My dad was 46 when he was sponsored by a company so it does happen!

As far as I'm aware at this point only my mum has looked for sponsorship. I'll be talking with them in detail within the next week or so :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84
dont give up on sponsorship. we have a friend who has just been sponsored by the mater hospital and she is 65 years of age. so it is possible

Really that's excellent - thanks for sharing :-)

Guest sarah_sh_84

Ok so I have an update on the situation - I have had an I depth conversation with my patents.

My mum tells me they wish to come over here on a temporary arrangement for between 2-5 years. It's seems they have two options given their age (step dad will be 49 in december, mum just turned 50):

First option - temporary business visa (457) hard to find a sponsor but possible

second option - contributory parent visa (173)

The ther visas prove too expensive to go for on a temporary basis. Or take too long, as they wish to be here to see our children grow a little.

Being a plumber my step dad will probably have a better chance of a 457 and he plans to discuss this with a company when they visit in January. As for skills he is willing to do a course to update to Australian standards. My mums job is complicated but she works for a collage. She's seen jobs advertised but most require her to already have a visa and won't sponsor. The search continues for the sponsor as the 457 seems the best and cheapest option, considering it only a temporary visa needed, plus the 457 lasts 4 years rather than 2.

Thanks for some positive stories on sponsorships. I so hope my parents and come to this lovely country and see their grandchildren grows :)

Archived