Jobs for older workers??

Bridgeman

I moved to Perth a year ago from the UK to join my son and his family, hoping to be able to retire. Finding it expensive here I decided to look for work. Although I am 62 I feel I still have a lot to offer. After loads of applications I found a job with a training agency, although had to take a step down from the job I did in the UK as manager of a government agency invoved with upskilling of people in the manufacturing industry through Business Improvement techniques. Unfortunately this hasn't worked out mainly as most of the other staff were either related to each other, or living together and I found it very difficult to get accepted; the job turned out not to be what I expected.

It seems however, that there is a lot of age discrimination in Australia and especially in Perth. Also I think there is a lot of 'who you know' in order to get your foot in the door. Also, despite being very qualified I am hampered by not having the required Cert IV in training. I really can't afford to fork out for this myself. I know they want young people but having recently seen that the retirement age is gradually to be raised to 70 how do they think people are going to be able to work to that age if they don't even get a look in at the recruitment stage? And where are the jobs going to come from? I m not saying that everyone of 70 is still able to hold down a job but feel some of us still have a lot to offer , including a very good work ethic and experience compared to what I have seen. I am not looking for a high flying position and am prepared to consider a variety of options, but even that seems too much to expect. My wife and I are able to offer a lot of support to my son and his family, including childcare so my daughter in law can go back to work, so see this as a way of contributing to Oz and this way they are less likely to leave Oz. We have already paid out a considerable sum towards our health care here as part of our parent visa conditions. However, it may be that we will need to return to the UK if I am unable to find any suitable work and so the family will lose this support.

Guest scrumpy

I got a mate in Melbourne and even at 50 he feels he is unemployable over there, been over there a year and is a plumber

Guest scrumpy
Has your mate found any work as a plumber?

None at all, I think there is work to be had, but at 50 I really think he is considered to old to be taught the Ozy way of plumbing. He ended up on the counter in a plumbers merchants, but worked like a dog and then laid off one afternoon, I think because an Ozy was given his job.

But to be honest he never was a real go getter, so Im sure if you were hungry enough, you would find the work

Hi Bridgeman

I sympathise with your situation. My husb and I are currently thinking about applying for a parent's visa. It would take every penny of my retirement lump sum, plus a good slice on top. This is fair, we think, considering the fact that we have not contributed to Australian society to date but we would certainly be a lot worse off financially than in the UK. I am sixty, and have been thinking for some time about the possibility of getting a job if we ever get over there. So your letter makes depressing reading.

Does anyone have any idea of the situation re: part time jobs? Although I am a graduate. I am thinking about part time and/or temporary unskilled work, (i.e. in shops, cafes etc) Here in my UK town there are loads of jobs for 10-16 hours a week behind shop counters, maybe just in the summer season or at Christmas. These don't appeal to people trying to earn a living but can provide a welcome income boost if times get tough.

Any ideas?

None at all, I think there is work to be had, but at 50 I really think he is considered to old to be taught the Ozy way of plumbing. He ended up on the counter in a plumbers merchants, but worked like a dog and then laid off one afternoon, I think because an Ozy was given his job.

But to be honest he never was a real go getter, so Im sure if you were hungry enough, you would find the work

I've met a few people who tend to give up pretty easily when they move here.I was speaking to a guy a few years ago a"plumber" who was complaining he was unable to get work and when I told him I could put him in touch with a mate who was installing water tanks making 800 a day the guy wasn't in the least interested.I was dumbfounded.

I moved to Perth a year ago from the UK to join my son and his family, hoping to be able to retire. Finding it expensive here I decided to look for work. Although I am 62 I feel I still have a lot to offer. After loads of applications I found a job with a training agency, although had to take a step down from the job I did in the UK as manager of a government agency invoved with upskilling of people in the manufacturing industry through Business Improvement techniques. Unfortunately this hasn't worked out mainly as most of the other staff were either related to each other, or living together and I found it very difficult to get accepted; the job turned out not to be what I expected.

It seems however, that there is a lot of age discrimination in Australia and especially in Perth. Also I think there is a lot of 'who you know' in order to get your foot in the door. Also, despite being very qualified I am hampered by not having the required Cert IV in training. I really can't afford to fork out for this myself. I know they want young people but having recently seen that the retirement age is gradually to be raised to 70 how do they think people are going to be able to work to that age if they don't even get a look in at the recruitment stage? And where are the jobs going to come from? I m not saying that everyone of 70 is still able to hold down a job but feel some of us still have a lot to offer , including a very good work ethic and experience compared to what I have seen. I am not looking for a high flying position and am prepared to consider a variety of options, but even that seems too much to expect. My wife and I are able to offer a lot of support to my son and his family, including childcare so my daughter in law can go back to work, so see this as a way of contributing to Oz and this way they are less likely to leave Oz. We have already paid out a considerable sum towards our health care here as part of our parent visa conditions. However, it may be that we will need to return to the UK if I am unable to find any suitable work and so the family will lose this support.

Australia has for as long as I can recall been extremely youth focused. Many employers seem to look at applicants over 50 with some disdain . Unless it is moving from one company to another where there is greater may be greater prospects, to have been out of the workforce or aged newly arrived it will usually be hard.

Not sure why besides not suiting the image of course......young forward thinking all the old cliches.

Never really found a country like Australia with such a youth focus necessary a very good place to age in.....

Guest scrumpy
On the building there did not seem many blokes over 50

But would that be because they have made there money by the time there 50??

While I sympathise with your situation try to see this from an employers perspective. I prefer people in our training division to have degree qualifications and although you have some experience you don't have the most basic of formal qualifications.

I don't see this as age discrimination - instead I think your lack of qualifications make you an uncompetitive applicant for roles. This becomes more important when your application is compared with a highly qualified person. What would be the benefit to the company in employing you over them?

I hope you do find work however you need to remember employers are interested in what you bring to the table rather than what you need from them.

I don't mean to sound harsh but this is the reality of the world we live in.

Hi Freckleface

Did I misunderstand Bridgeman? I thought he said he was very well qualified, just lacking a cert in training?

I have to say I think Kipper 2 may have a point. you have to be very determined to get a job anywhere just now, I think.

Hi Freckleface

Did I misunderstand Bridgeman? I thought he said he was very well qualified, just lacking a cert in training?

I have to say I think Kipper 2 may have a point. you have to be very determined to get a job anywhere just now, I think.

Cert IV is a basic qualification in the training sector in Australia. Without it he is unlikely to be considered, especially against applicants with degrees. It might be seen as unfair but experience alone just doesn't make the grade these days unless you are very lucky.

While I sympathise with your situation try to see this from an employers perspective. I prefer people in our training division to have degree qualifications and although you have some experience you don't have the most basic of formal qualifications.

I don't see this as age discrimination - instead I think your lack of qualifications make you an uncompetitive applicant for roles. This becomes more important when your application is compared with a highly qualified person. What would be the benefit to the company in employing you over them?

I hope you do find work however you need to remember employers are interested in what you bring to the table rather than what you need from them.

Youth fresh of the degree conveyor belt, very wet behind the gills seem to get preference over experience in many companies. I have known some of the wonderkinders to take medication to get them through the day.

All the often the youngsters are put into positions beyond them with those whose job is it to employ having little idea themselves.

Youth fresh of the degree conveyor belt, very wet behind the gills seem to get preference over experience in many companies. I have known some of the wonderkinders to take medication to get them through the day.

All the often the youngsters are put into positions beyond them with those whose job is it to employ having little idea themselves.

Possibly true in some company's although I prefer degree qualified and around 10 years practical experience.

Hi Freckleface

And a lot of luck with the system in place in many organisations. If over a certain age the system as exists is against the applicant even with qualifations. Over a twenty five or so year old that has done in cases a degree and course after often useless course does have the potential to go against the more worldly,experienced applicant. Of course the younger are seen as easier to deal with and more obliging.

Management is rather poor in many areas in OZ as well.

And a lot of luck with the system in place in many organisations. If over a certain age the system as exists is against the applicant even with qualifations. Over a twenty five or so year old that has done in cases a degree and course after often useless course does have the potential to go against the more worldly,experienced applicant. Of course the younger are seen as easier to deal with and more obliging.

Management is rather poor in many areas in OZ as well.

If you think younger people are easier to deal with and more obliging you can't have worked with many Gen Y :wink:

If you think younger people are easier to deal with and more obliging you can't have worked with many Gen Y :wink:

Afraid I have that's the problem. I do concur all too many though have a very inflated opinion of their doubtful and over rated abilities and a feeling that their status should be close to being on par with CEO. Still they are not challenging as are more concerned with trying to impress those they feel could be beneficial at some stage........

Afraid I have that's the problem. I do concur all too many though have a very inflated opinion of their doubtful and over rated abilities and a feeling that their status should be close to being on par with CEO. Still they are not challenging as are more concerned with trying to impress those they feel could be beneficial at some stage........

Don't get me started on Gen Y. I am the CEO of a large diverse company and a Gen Y who was in the lift with me a couple of weeks ago asked me how long I thought it would be before he would be ready to act as one of my right hands. I nearly choked on the mouthful of coffee I was trying to swallow.

With regard to qualifications I actually have a degree, a postgraduate certificate in Management, a Postgraduate Certificate in Education and D32, D33 and D34 qualifications (Training/Teaching Assessor, Internal Verifier and External Veirfier qualifications), 10 years sales experience in a blue chip chemical company, five years teaching experience in a college of FE, plus several years experience in a government funded body with the initiative to develop and standardise quality courses for industry. How many more qualifications do you want??

Yes, Australia is very ageist and very definitely a "who you know" kind of place. However I will say that at my last place of employment, on my team, at 62 I was the second youngest person for a while - behind only the team leader who recruited us all (she knew quality when she saw us old retirees who didnt really need to work LOL) and

the oldest was (at the time) 76 (and is still going!). Of course, when I left, the age profile slumped and the new manager took on a 21 year old but they did get another 58 yr old as well.

BTW our 76-er just got her TAA cert iv along with the 68-er so that may be your best option! You should get considerable RPL credit Bridgeman

Can I just say that all or most of the above applies to the UK?

I think that there used to be a tendency to see many jobs as 'jobs for life' but not any more. I think you have to keep learning as well as gaining experience in whatever field - I was studying part time right up until five months before I retired. I spent most of my career thinking about what I might want to do next and then taking whatever course would help me get there. I think even saying you have signed up for a course, or are part way through a course is better than just not having the right bits of paper.

Ageism is well established in the UK to, but I wouldnt want to be trying to forge a career in these uncertain times. I think I've been very lucky :-)

Yes, Australia is very ageist and very definitely a "who you know" kind of place. However I will say that at my last place of employment, on my team, at 62 I was the second youngest person for a while - behind only the team leader who recruited us all (she knew quality when she saw us old retirees who didnt really need to work LOL) and

the oldest was (at the time) 76 (and is still going!). Of course, when I left, the age profile slumped and the new manager took on a 21 year old but they did get another 58 yr old as well.

BTW our 76-er just got her TAA cert iv along with the 68-er so that may be your best option! You should get considerable RPL credit Bridgeman

Yes, I would be quite willing, but not sure I want to fork out the up to $2000 to do it! Especially as I am now reduced to trying to live off my various small pensions at the moment.

Archived