Fridge Freezers - plumbing

mwgster

Hi

Given the price difference of electrical items etc, we are thinking of buying a new american style fridge freezer in the UK prior to migrating.

However, the fridge freezer we are looking at requires a cold water feed (for the ice box etc).

Therefore, my question is whether you tend to find plumbing (cold water feed) up to where the fridge/freezer migh be in Ozzie houses? Maybe it is something that you find more in new builds ? When I looked at new builds in Perth I noticed that most now have an inbuilt cupboard space specifically for american style fridge freezers.. If there was no plumbing for this type of setup, it would be a nightmare.. drilling holes through walls etc!!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Martin

I've never noticed it before but I'm hardly an expert! :unsure:

Be careful about buying it just before you come it though - you are not 'supposed to' bring out anything which you have not owned for 12 months unless you're willing to pay duty on it.... Having said that, I'm not sure if anyone has ever been caught....

Have never seen plumbing installed to the fridge area. It would be something you could do to a house if you owned it (although it could be expensive) but I can't imagine a landlord ever agreeing to have this done in a rental property.

I certainly wouldn't agree to it being done in the rental properties I own.

Also, be careful on the size. A good many Australian houses have delineated spaces for fridges--and certainly not always big enough for an American side by side if that's what you mean.

Quite seriously, I don't think there anything like the price differential you're thinking of. If you're comparing prices by looking at web sites, don't forget that you rarely pay the marked price (well not unless you're a mug!). Haggling over any large purchase is the norm here--last fridge we bough, we got 25% off the marked price just by asking the salesman for his "best price".

(And, should you be stung for customs duty and GST that would more than wipe out any small saving.)

It's easier to install a water fitting coming down through the ceiling, it only needs a very narrow pipe to operate the water function, that's what we had done, can't even see the pipe with the cupboard above the fridge.

We bought a westinghouse fridge freezer with the water and ice dispenser. It's been one of the best things we've bought. Always plenty of cold water and ice on tap, the ice bucket is massive. The kids have never been into fizzy drinks and just prefer water. It's a bonus in summer and gets used heaps.

We had to have it plumbed in but the main cold water pipe runs up the side of the house and it just meant a hole into the house and small bore pipe running from inside a cupboard, through the wall to the fridge.

The copper pipe is coiled up at the back of the fridge so you can still pull it out a fair way before having to disconnect anything. I would buy one here.

I have bought an american style, but i wont be able to plumb it in till I buy across there..

I am worried about the fitting of it in the kitchen, as mentioned a lot of the properties have designated spaces for fridge freezers.. I am hoping to buy across there, so this should be a decent fridge for me :)

We got an american style but didn't get the ice despenser as you loose so much frezzer space.

Are they really that much cheaper in the UK?

You may also want to consider the warrenty is stil valid. Samsung just came and fixed ours for free (over three years old). Various parts have differing warrenties.

I just did some searching for fridge freezers on the Harvey Norman and Currys web sites. The model numbers seem to be different in the UK and Australia but I found apparently similar/identical models from Bosch and Samsung (judging by photos and the specified capacities). In both cases, the Aus prices were slightly cheaper when converted at a $1.55=£1.00 exchange rate--and that was before going into the shop and haggling as I would do here.

Add in the hassle of shipping, the potential issue of duty on goods under a year old and the probably lack of warranty on UK goods in Aus and I know I wouldn't even consider buying and shipping.

Archived