Sorry guys another Phone question.

whoiam

My OH is coming to oz for a week on a visit visa. We would get our pr maybe a month or two later. He needs a mobile connection, preferably with Skype but ok without if it's much cheaper. How does he go about it when he arrives? Can he get a sim at the airport? Are Payg sims and rates very costly?

Any help much appreciated.

Vodafone do a decent set of options. I prefered the Prepaid Cap $30; 500mb data included plus any usage over that comes out of a $450 flexible credit.

This is good for 30 days, and if you wanted to keep the sim active when in the UK (for example) you can switch it over to a Vodafone 365 day service

I got mine from the airport at Brisbane, they activated it there for you, which is something to consider as activation requires ID checks to be done

Lebara is another provider to consider but it will only work in Australia; no roaming options currently

The supermarkets have variant PAYG sims that could work out cheaper. but for me I found Vodafone to be the best in my situation.

We have an unlocked phone which we usually use for foreign travel so that's not a problem. It's just getting the right plan so that he can contact me back here in the uk.

Shall ask him to chk out vodafone when he gets there. Thanks everyone for your input.

My OH is coming to oz for a week on a visit visa. We would get our pr maybe a month or two later. He needs a mobile connection, preferably with Skype but ok without if it's much cheaper. How does he go about it when he arrives? Can he get a sim at the airport? Are Payg sims and rates very costly?

Any help much appreciated.

Hello this is si's wife.

I live in perth where you can go into any vodaphone shop or store, buy a sim for 2 dollars and top it up with 30 dollars. For your 30 dollars, they give

you 450.00 dollars worth of credit to use, but it has to be used in 4 weeks. You also have 500 meg of internet also to use which i find lasts def for the 4 weeks

and i always never use it all. Myself and my hubby both brought over new unlocked phones so we could insert these sims. They are also not contract sims so you are not

obliged to keep them after the 4 weeks if you dont want too. We also bought one for our son, as we thought it helped him settle knowing he could contact his family and friends

when he wanted to.

I hope this is useful to you.

It might be a bit off topic, and sorry if offends, but need to share my experience of Vodafone in our travels, and yes depends on where you are going on your travels, and I found it very poor, as could only get a good signal in the cities , but further out "no signal" but with a Telstra sim so much better, so a good signal equals to good bandwith and better to pick up the 3G etc.

On a positive side it was easy to buy just go to main shopping mall, go in shop buy card, choose recharge, show passport, and provide address that you are staying at, and the register via phone call..