The Flies !!!!! Just how bad are they???

kimsdu

I keep getting told about the Flys in WA.. Really just how bad are they? Watched a programme the other night was in WA and flies were swarming these guys in the mines.

Are they seasonal or just there full time?

Are they really as bad as i keep hearing?

Are they really annoying?

Guest Guest66881

It's all the dog doodie just every where mate:biggrin:

Seriously, two seasons for the big swarms, and the odd fly all year round.

Guest JK2510

They only invade you when you are walking back to the car from the beach and have your hands full with body boards and towels etc....then they invade....up yer nose,in your mouth.....ears as well I'm afraid.....they get you when your most vunerable. :laugh:

They come around October and dont generally go untill March ish. They are about basically when its hot, its the female fly thats the prob, they feed of the protein you produce, so they are attracted to any wet Orafice, ie eyes, nose etc or if you sweat alot. BBQ's can be quite entertaining, I remember watching a mate cooking on one of the BBQ's at kingspark, he had a swarm of flies around him whilst cooking and they followed him whilst he carried all the food to where we were sitting, it was hilarious, sadly tho very very annoying. Not so many in the city, some people can put up with them, others cant, for me they ruined the place, but theres not alot you can do about them, they come in on the warm winds blowing from the farms up north and inland. Brisbane does not have a problem with them because of the marshlands surrounding the area, the flies cannot breed in these conditions and die, so Brisbane as a result doesnt suffer with that particular annoying fly. Hope this helps ;)

They only invade you when you are walking back to the car from the beach and have your hands full with body boards and towels etc....then they invade....up yer nose,in your mouth.....ears as well I'm afraid.....they get you when your most vunerable. :laugh:

And thats it all my mates are surfers and me and the OH surf and we have been told they follow you into the water and all of the above that you mentioned.... Hmmm cant wait

Come out when the weather warms up - at their peak mid November in the metropolitan area then die out by Christmas if you're lucky - but are hatching down south then - Christmas hols in Margaret River can be ruined by them! Not much of a prob after January. Farmers introduced the dung beetle that has been very successful at eating the lava.

Come out when the weather warms up - at their peak mid November in the metropolitan area then die out by Christmas if you're lucky - but are hatching down south then - Christmas hols in Margaret River can be ruined by them! Not much of a prob after January. Farmers introduced the dung beetle that has been very successful at eating the lava.

And Margaret River was my location of choice to live in hmmm they do sound like an utter nightmare!!!!

Guest Andy
Loads of the little blighteds that blighteds that dive bomb the minute you step outside, it's the mozzies that bothered me more sitting out in an evening especially my wrists and ankles.

I bet the aussie mozzies and flies are worse than the English mozzies and flies :daydreaming:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We were in Perth for a month at the hottest time and I have to say the flies at time were a pain, but they were there sometimes and not there at other times, on the beach they were none existent but a couple of hundred yards in land they were there, down at Manduragh they were bad, but on the estuary they weren't there and we sat out having a meal on the jettys and they weren't there either. We sat out every night and never got bit once, unlike in Brisbane we got bit to death, until we bought the carbon coils. We didn't like the flies in Perth, but we didn't think they were that bad, annoying at times, but only now and again.

Guest Tamjb

We are in Mullaloo right now, 2 streets back from the beach (& it's absolutely beautiful I have to say) We have had no issues at all with flies or mozzies, of course it is cooler here at the mo than it is in summer but obviously the fly issue isn't a year round thing. We found it was much worse in Brisbane with flies, ants & mozzies. You can only see for yourself I guess..

We are in Mullaloo right now, 2 streets back from the beach (& it's absolutely beautiful I have to say) We have had no issues at all with flies or mozzies, of course it is cooler here at the mo than it is in summer but obviously the fly issue isn't a year round thing. We found it was much worse in Brisbane with flies, ants & mozzies. You can only see for yourself I guess..

? Brisbane has far less flies than Perth.

I found the flies a pain when we got here and sounds daft but found that when I changed shampoo from Fruity or herbal to a non scented one they were so much better and didnt annoy me as much, I now never use very scented shampoo or conditioner on the kids or me when the flies are around.

Guest Tamjb
? Brisbane has far less flies than Perth.

I didn't get around to counting them whilst I was in Brisbane but when I was there, there were defo more flies, ants & mozzies. Just speaking from my experience that's all, not saying it's fact or same for everyone :wink:

I didn't get around to counting them whilst I was in Brisbane but when I was there, there were defo more flies, ants & mozzies. Just speaking from my experience that's all, not saying it's fact or same for everyone :wink:

i think you should have counted :wink: out of interest were you out the west of Brisbane near Ipswich or something? We don't even get those annoying blow flies in Brisbane hardly at all...or not that I can remember...a couple of normal little flies if you leave food uncovered outside but not much....get them out west in Qld in the places that are colder in winter/dryer and hotter in summer...bloody annoying things. Have you had a summer in Perth yet to compare? When we hit them in Victoria a few summers ago my wife ran back to the car and wouldn't get out....I quickly followed...they were incredibly annoying !!!

Guest Tamjb

We stayed at Redhills but also spent time in the City & at Riverhills (not sure if this is area you mean?) We also spent time at Mooloolaba (if I've spelt it right!) & Surfer's Paradise all had loads of ants, flies etc & this was in Autumn. We haven't spent a summer in Perth yet to compare so I guess we would be legging it like your wife! :laugh:

We stayed at Redhills but also spent time in the City & at Riverhills (not sure if this is area you mean?) We also spent time at Mooloolaba (if I've spelt it right!) & Surfer's Paradise all had loads of ants, flies etc & this was in Autumn. We haven't spent a summer in Perth yet to compare so I guess we would be legging it like your wife! :laugh:

We live next to Red Hill close to Brisbane City and eat outside on the deck most days/nights in summer and we only see the odd fly...in winter there is even less...plenty of ants though....if you consider our flies as "loads" then yes, I agree with you, if it is anything like we experienced in Victoria a fly sensitive person like you should leg it to the airport and get the hell out of Perth now while you still can :biggrin:

Guest Marky16

hi guys,

been living in perth metro since jan, only seen the odd flie now and again so dont think its a huge prob, although maybe i have it all to come.oh by the way not seen one spider either? maybe i should get my eyes checked! most dangerous thing in wa are the drivers!FACT! ha!

i swear that when it rains people actually speed up? the locals love to aquaplane maybe they think its like surfing, but with your car? youll see! ha ha

If there's one thing I hate about Perth or Wa is efing flies. Feel like every December becomes own personnel war with the bastards. I'm a tradie and there's nothing worse than trying to work and having flies trying to get in eyes and mouth. This my personal opinion of this problem but then the missess thinks I'm a bit of tart with flies.

Cheers have fun killing the little mudders.

Guest MM Marc

Ever visited a U.K farm in the summer? Perth flies are nowhere near that bad but the Mosquitos at Pardoo Sation in the North of W.A will seriously upset your composure.....expected to get but 100 times on anything sticking out at the wrong time of year.........left me head sticking out of the swag (September 2009)

You will soon get used to the flies because it is normal for Perth/***/***/etc. Your immune system will eventually stop over reacting to the mosquitos.etc. You get your own personal group of flies. Maybe 10 on your back hitching a ride whilst 5 or 6 try to land on your sweaty face for a salty drink and a tasty meal from the corners of your mouth. Just avoid the hitch hikers fresh from a turd as that can cause health problems.

Most garages sell hats with nets to suit most sizes especailly in areas with flies.

Archived