The Flies !!!!! Just how bad are they???

kimsdu

I have only visited Perth twice, but my experience was the first time we went was October - November 2010 and the flies were terrible everywhere we went. However I think I remember hearing it on the news too so not sure if it is normally that bad. Last time we went was Feb this year and we had no problems with flies.

It depends on where you are we have found - down South they seem to be annoying flies that go mental for eyes, ears, mouths and noses, but aren't like UK flies that constantly land on food etc (they totally ignore food infact), but up North they are more like the UK type that swarm on food, but if there isn't food will just land on your arms/legs etc constantly.

Down south they don't tend to be in the populated bits as much it seems, and are worse where there is lots of seaweed (which varies due to the weather and tides over the last few months or something apparently), so near certain beaches that have been hit by LOADS of seaweed they aren't great. Up North it just seems completely and utterly random as to where the flies are.

Thats our experience of them across WA (we travelled it for the last 4 ish months) and a bit of the NT.

But you just get a mossie tent/screen doors/fly hat net for trips to places you really want to go but have loads of flies (eg to see the Anthony Gormley sculptures out near the Goldfields), and life goes on :)

Archived