Health worries in Australia.

pob

My wife and I are thinking about the move over to Australia.

I have a worry about the health care system. How does it work?

Is it like England?

Or do you need health insurance? Will health insurance cover pre-existing conditions, unlike American insurance?

What are the costs involved with medicines? Is it like England or do you have to pay for them?

God forbid but what would happen if you...

Broke your arm or even had cancer?

Do poor people have health care or are they left to die like in America and Canada?

Guest Guest66881

Two systems, one you pay into one private, the other a public system (similar to the UK).

Don't worry we have electricity and running water most of the time also :)

Hey,

I am fairly new to this so can only pass on what i have heard.

Apparently they have Medicare - which is like our health service. Or if you have the $$$ you can go private.

I'm sure one of the lovely people on here will confirm soon. x x

In my experience -- Visits to GP cost $70 - you get $35 back from Medicare. Cost of meds can vary but roughly $35 each item.

Pre-existing conditions can be covered by health insurance but there is a waiting period of 12 mths. Medicare may cover costs in a public hospital but if you want to go private you will need health insurance. All Australians are entitled to Medicare. Not all have or need health insurance but things like Optical, Dental and Ambulance cover is recommended.

Hope this helps Jxxxx

Other than dental we have used public for health care and it has been excellent. A GP visit costs about $30 after rebate. Drugs are a mixed bag as some cost less than what I paid for a prescription in the uk.

Had 10 days in hospital with 2 lot of surgery and free and excellent the only difference between public and private was that I could have had a glass of wine in private. But as I was bared alcohol due to the condition this was irrelevant.

Private cover is worth it for dental and things like physio

Medical is expensive, but having private health insurance is in my opinion one of the biggest cons in OZ. Aussies believe you need it, but free doctors are everywhere ( bulk billing) or you can go to a doctor who charges, entirely up to you but this is where it gets expensive. As with the UK there are private or free hospitals. I needed an operation for broken nose once which was causing headaches, I chose a private doctor who did the surgery in a free hospital, he was a professor could not fault anything about surgery, follow up etc and it only cost me $600.00. however, he told me if I had insurance my out of pockets would have been about $1500.00. So personally I don't have insurance, if it's life threatening you will be seen to straight away, and if not you can ask for a (cash price) meaning no insurance or just wait like in the UK. The only thing I would not be without is ambulance insurance but this is cheap, but be aware an ambulance trip just up the road can be thousands of dollars if you have no insurance.

I didn't know about ambulance insurance? Thats useful. Just wanted to know if anyone out there knows about Diabetes care in Australia. My husband is insulin dependent and just wandering about cost of medication etc... We are due to move to Brisbane early next year with the family and would be grateful for any info

Medication costs you at the full retail price - you can google it. It will probably work out more expensive than the UK. Plus, you will have to see a doctor every six months to get a new prescription. The idea of just asking for a repeat prescription and collecting it tow days later doesn't exist. The doctor will give you a prescription with six monthly dispenses. Most pharmacies will only dispense a month supply at a time. For month, read four weeks.

Private insurance is not fantastic as you will still have to pay a lot from your pocket when you are treated, even with insurance. I had a minor op and got bills for the initial GP referral, the first consultation with the surgeon, the surgery, the anaesthetist and the hospital. Plus I had to pay for medicines. That's six bills, which is a lot when you think you have insurance to cover you. Truly, the health system is one ofmthe areas wherevthe UK is light years ahead of Australia (although my wife vehemently disagrees).

You appreciate the NHS after living in oz, if you are not insured an ambulance call will cost you a lot of money plus dental care is iunbelievably expensive.

we are spoilt in the UK with the NHS it is only when you live abroad that you realise how good it was.

then again the Tories are trying to make the NHS like Australia were you pay for everything including prescriptions which 90%. Of people in England get for free and totally free in Wales and Scotland.

You appreciate the NHS after living in oz, if you are not insured an ambulance call will cost you a lot of money plus dental care is iunbelievably expensive.

we are spoilt in the UK with the NHS it is only when you live abroad that you realise how good it was.

then again the Tories are trying to make the NHS like Australia were you pay for everything including prescriptions which 90%. Of people in England get for free and totally free in Wales and Scotland.

To clarify, most people in the UK have to pay for prescriptions but most prescriptions are written for those most likely to be ill : children, old people and expectant mothers. Hence, although most people have to pay for prescriptions, most prescriptions are dispensed free.

Free in Wales and Scotland and NI, In England as you say free for people 60 or over, free for children up to 18 , free for people signing on, free for people with certain illnesses, 90% of people in the UK do not pay for prescriptions.

Archived