Good tips to stop worrying/thinking too much

3FatCats

I have always been a thinker, brain never shuts down, constantly on the go.

This inevitably, in my case, brings me to think about my problems quite a bit and when things are not so good (like now) I find myself dwelling on my situation more and more, lying awake at night, feeling uneasy. It is not healthy and it drives me crazy. :wacko:

I would like to know if anyone has any good tips for relaxing the mind? I am not taking the Michael, this is a serious question!!! I have tried relaxation classes in the past, breathing exercises, that type of thing and found it to work fine when I was in the class, but hopeless once I tried at home.

Would love to hear from people and find out any good tips or suggestions. Am not too keen on taking any type of relaxation drug and no, I don't know how to grow my own :unsure:(the cat would have a go at it anyway...) but I know there are also other herbal remedies, Valerian springs to mind, Bach Flowers. Has anyone used these and found them to be effective?

Please share with me! Thanks

Guest guest17301

If I'm in a negative frame of mind and want to let it go I acknowledge my feelings then send them on their way, say I'm peed off with a family member or situation, spending a lot of time thinking and having imaginary conversations with the object of my rage is such a waste of negative energy...I think I read this in some self help 'how to be happy' book or something...I just say to myself yes I am very angry/upset...I have a right to be very angry/upset.....I can't change what has made me angry or upset...but I can choose to let go of it and look at the bigger picture.....

Thats probably not much help but has worked for me in the past......(a few glasses of wine helps too):wink:

PS...though not into yoga or pilates or any of that stuff I find it helps to walk for at least 30 minutes just taking in my surroundings and smelling the fresh air, connecting with nature and myself and just being 'in the moment'

Edited by guest17301

Guest SUSHI

Check out a book called 'Help!'

And also another called "59 seconds"

They both offer an analysis and most importantly scientifically proven breakdown of what works to make people feel happier taken from all spectrums of self help. They then provide lots of small tips you can implement. Well worth a read.

Thanks

Rob

There was a TED talk recently by a psychologist on how to improve your performance by improving your mood. Whatever task a person is doing, they generally do it better when in a good mood. Right at the end of the talk, the guy gave a suggestion to improve your mood.

Every day, write down 3 things you are grateful for. They don't have to be big; they could just be that it didn't rain on the way to work or whatever. After 21 days, your brain actually becomes 'rewired' to scan your environment for positive things rather than negative things (humans evolved to scan for negative things first, as they might try to eat us...). Then your mood is improved because you end up constantly seeing the positives in any situation.

I've given it a go and I reckon it worked well.

Guest SUSHI

Exactly Rob! What you mention is discussed in the books I mention.

It's called a Gratitude Journal and they discuss it in the first chapter of '59 seconds'. Apparently just doing it once a week makes a difference, and the book also mentions a couple of other diary type methods, and then outlines a 5 days diary plan with a different thing to do each day. The title of the book comes from the fact at the end of each chapter, the author gives you a couple of scientifically proven tips whcih may help you to be happier, that you can implement in 59 seconds of your time. It doesn't promise massive, quick, dramatic changes like a lot of self help does, but rather small incremental improvements.

Thanks

Rob

There is a plant that will help you relax, grapes in a bottle:wink:. Preceded by physical activity - gym, bike ride, dance. Meeting friends up for a cup of coffee. Getting your nails done. Shopping.

If you are really more anxious than just plain worried, psychotherapy might help too. I am not a friend of drugs myself and I think it`s a temporary fix only. There is hypnosis but I don`t have personal experience and I don`t know anyone who has:frown:. There are doctors who specialize in holistic medicine, sometimes it`s called integrative medicine. They use alternative methods for treatment including herbal stuff and acupuncture and so on, I am sure there must be someone in Sydney.

I really hope you will find something that works for you soon:wubclub:

Guest Andy

This inevitably, in my case, brings me to think about my problems quite a bit and when things are not so good (like now) I find myself dwelling on my situation more and more, lying awake at night, feeling uneasy. It is not healthy and it drives me crazy. :wacko:

I would like to know if anyone has any good tips for relaxing the mind? I am not taking the Michael, this is a serious question!!! I have tried relaxation classes in the past, breathing exercises, that type of thing and found it to work fine when I was in the class, but hopeless once I tried at home.

Would love to hear from people and find out any good tips or suggestions. Am not too keen on taking any type of relaxation drug and no, I don't know how to grow my own :unsure:(the cat would have a go at it anyway...) but I know there are also other herbal remedies, Valerian springs to mind, Bach Flowers. Has anyone used these and found them to be effective?

I think you would be surprised at how many people suffer at night, i have a habit of waking up at 2 oclock in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep and then when it comes to getting up i feel terrible, this does not happen every night but maybe 3 or 4 times a week and normally if i have something on my mind or i am worrying about something, i have tried reading and watching tv but it does not help and i normally end up just lying there for a couple of hours trying not to wake the wife but then get up have a brew and maybe try to relax a bit, i have tried herbal sleeping aids but they have done nothing and i even had some sleeping pills of the dr which knocked me out cold so if i happened to be really tired i would take one but i have not gone back for anymore as i reckon in the long run they may not be such a good thing, i used to get wound up by not being able to sleep but now i kind of just accept it.

I have not been to bad tonight but woke up at 4 o'clock as it is lashing down and i have half my house roof off as i am doing an extension and it is covered with polythene so i raced up the scaffold to check nothing was coming in :twitcy:

Edited by Andy

Excercise. Groan. This one took a long time for me and I had to build up to it, and I didn't enjoy it as much as many people say you will. Since being lethargic and agrophobic can also be a part of depression, it can make things even harder. However, it helps in two ways. Firstly you have to get out and about - on a bike, on a walk, to a gym, just somewhere that's not in your own 4 walls, and that helps. Secondly, you totally exhaust your body and brain. I was so unfit to start that I couldn't really do enough to have much effect. Before long though I was able to run a few km or cycle enough for it to help. I never found that point of totally loving it, feeling euphoric etc that runners go on about, and I didn't particularly look forward to it, but it did sort my head out and I did start to sleep properly.

PS Yoga never switched my mind off. tried it several times and found that overactive mind always won.

Guest Guest16631

..............all of the self help things are fine.....yoga ,meditation etc...........but if we're really stressed and worried getting in the right frame of mind to do these things isn't easy................so here is a way to stop the initial thought/worry/stress............

.....Something happens in the external world and all of a sudden we experience a physiological response by our body that our mind would define as fear. So in my brain some circuit is saying something isn’t safe and I need to go on full alert, those chemicals flush through my body to put my body on full alert, and for that to totally flush out of my body, it takes less than 90 seconds.

............... if you can ride out your body’s pre-programmed response,................. you will get to a place where you—............the best part of you—......................can respond to a crisis on its own terms and learn what reality is trying to teach you.

..............Obviously riding out your body’s chemistry is key,..................... and the great thing about the “90 Second Rule” .................is that it’s there to let you know exactly how long you have to keep it up. .....................A minute and a half is not that long..................hope this helps..............tink x

Guest sadiesmum

Im exactly like you, I tend to think things to death and over analyse everything!

Yoga is really useful, more so than pilates. By focusing on your breathing and being in the "here and now" you tune your mind to let go of the past and accept that the future hasnt even happened yet. There is an relaxation exercise where you lay on your back, arms by your side (palms up) and starting from your toes working up your body you imagine yourself melting into the floor, if done properly it gives you same type of sensation you get in a floatation tank.

Another exercise is to imagine your troubles or worries floating away in a bubble, all the time concentrating of breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.

These do take a lot of practice to master but once you achieve the state its easy to do again.

Another thing I would recommend is Bachs Flower Remedies, they really help me.

Hope this helps.

Hey FatCats, have you done any reading about mindfulness? It's basically what Fiona is describing on her walk when you direct your attention away from your thoughts to whatever it is that you're doing - what you can see, hear, feel etc. There are lots of ways to do it. When you get a sec have a look at this site for ideas - http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/mindfulness. The Power of Now is the most famous self-help book about it. It's a bit like meditation, most people are crap at it at first but as they get better as they practise. And once you're really good at it you can get out of your head/thoughts for long periods whenever you want.

The other thing I completely swear by is 'sleep hygiene'. If you google it you'll get the basic principles. I've been a rubbish sleeper for years although people who know me would probably be surprised that it's because I can't stop thinking! If I follow the hygiene principles like switching off the TV/computer an hour before bedtime and following the same routine of shower/potter/read then by the time I switch the light out I'm already half a sleep. I'm not disciplined enough to do it every night but I do it often enough that my body recognises the cues and delivers with a good nights sleep.

I found Binaural Beats helps. At first I didnt think it would. Now when I get stressed. I pop them on and float away. It's great. Totally switches my mind off....there's a whole range... for different things. Sleep, concentration etc.

Thanks

defiantly do this !!!! :D This guy is totally amazing. He doesn't look or sound like much, but he has helped me immensely. He also has some very good books to read. www.amazon.co.uk/The-Joy-Living-Unlocking-Happiness/dp/0553824430/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336033378&sr=8-2

The more you do this the more benefit you will feel.... it will be hard at first, my advice would be close your eyes and listen to him and try your best to follow and do what he says.... works well if you have read his book first. good luck and enjoy :)

Edited by jhampa
fix video link

Guest GoldCoastMag

I use rescue remedy when I am really overwhelmed, it maybe a placebo effect but it helps me.

best wishes

Guest AKA63029
I use rescue remedy when I am really overwhelmed, it maybe a placebo effect but it helps me.

best wishes

Rescue Remedy is very good, not sure if you can get it in OZ though Cats.

I used to have a small bottle in the car when I was a driving instructor to calm pupils down before their test. I also used to have Morphine, Chloroform and Rohypnol,:policeman:. Everything was OK until a student made a complaint.................

once she had got the Duct tape off that is.:shocked:

No seriously Cats, I always found Rescue Remedy did the job, managed in someway to calm the down and stop the old mind buzzing too much and totally herbal as well.

Have you tried 'thinking' good things, though bloody difficult at times I admit. Anything that helps would be great, and plenty of advice on here.

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029

As one of life's biggest xxxxers Cats I do find it very difficult to switch off at times.

Believe it or not I have a 'Thinking' side and a 'Sleeping' side when I go to bed.

If I have a lot on my mind I will lie on my left hand side and mull it over, and over and over.:chatterbox:

When I've done thinking I then roll over on to my right and try to go to sleep. Normally takes at least a couple of hours before I have 'sorted' it.

I have learnt to accept it now, and whilst not happy I have become accustomed to me 'sleep' pattern and 'accept' it.

If you are a born worrier in all honesty it is difficult to switch off I'm afraid.

Well it's either this or make yourself so scared you dive under the duvet, normally the thought of John Major and Edwina Currie going for it normally does this for me.:laugh:

Cheers Tony.

Rescue Remedy is very good, not sure if you can get it in OZ though Cats.

You can get it here. It is great stuff. There's a few different types too, chewy tablets, droplets, night remedy, etc etc. Also spraying lavender in your room at night also helps, for calm and camomile tea.

I've the whole range! :laugh:

You can get it here. It is great stuff. There's a few different types too, chewy tablets, droplets, night remedy, etc etc. Also spraying lavender in your room at night also helps, for calm and camomile tea.

Nothing wrong in being a thinker as long as it is directed in the right way i suppose.

Dwelling on a problem or difficult situation wont fix/solve the problem. Tablets and meditation, yoga etc wont do it either. Worrying about it is about as much use as **** on Tarzan.

Fix or resolving the problem/situation can surely be the only way to stop thinking about it.

In a younger life, getting up earlier, going for a run, a nutritious breakfast and lunch, some physical activity in the afternoon/evening, a hobby, family committments etc was more than enough to knock me out as soon as i hit the pillow. Fresh air and enough alternatives to occupy the mind works wonders too. Drugs and alcohol are not the answer.