help with planning route.

Guest kevc

hello the time has come to start planning (trying to) a route for what hopefully will be a year long trip around australia. i plan to start my adventure around october/november this year, but i have no idea where is best to start without having to double back on myself and what times to be and where. im travelling on a working visa so i will be influenced quite a lot by where work is available etc. so id be very greatful for any suggestions and tips you guys have. thank you in advance, kevin.

Hi,

that must be so exciting and I am more than a little jealous:wink:. I only have one tip because I`ve never been to Australia yet, I would try to spend the summer in the south - Tasmania, SA, Victoria and when it gets colder just move up the coast, then spend the winter visiting NT and outback. I hope you`ll post about your experience :biggrin:.

hi yes i am very excited about the trip. 10 years of working 9-5 in the dull uk has taken is toll and about 1 year ago i started thinking about what i could do to change my life around. and travelling oz is my solution. lol thanks for the advice.

hiya, i'm the same thought i'd take a year or 2 out of the rat race before it got too late. leaving at the end of may and will spend time india and Thailand/Laos before landing in sydney at the end of june. however in terms of a plan of what to do then not sure yet. I've got a list of most of the typical must do things but planning on getting there and see what happens.

hiya, i'm the same thought i'd take a year or 2 out of the rat race before it got too late. leaving at the end of may and will spend time india and Thailand/Laos before landing in sydney at the end of june. however in terms of a plan of what to do then not sure yet. I've got a list of most of the typical must do things but planning on getting there and see what happens.

Nice plans you must of saved hard. I chose oz first I think it's the easiest to get work then think about other countries like new Zealand and Asia after a year. I have been to Thailand before and it's a great place aswell as being cheap as chips.

Im usually not a guy to plan things before hand but with being on my own I thought it best to and will save money in the long run I think.

hello the time has come to start planning (trying to) a route for what hopefully will be a year long trip around australia. i plan to start my adventure around october/november this year, but i have no idea where is best to start without having to double back on myself and what times to be and where. im travelling on a working visa so i will be influenced quite a lot by where work is available etc. so id be very greatful for any suggestions and tips you guys have. thank you in advance, kevin.

Are you planning on getting the 2nd year WHV??

My advice like the others would be to spend more time Melboure/Sydney in the months your arrive as its the best time of year and hot/wet season further North.

I arrived in Sydney (a good few years ago now) in November - stayed in Sydney for 3 months, more due to wanting to be their for Christmas and New Year. I got work - but didnt leave Sydney with much more money than what I arrived with. Traveled up the East Coast - then worked a few weeks at a Banana farm, spent a bit more time in Cairns. Got a Job in the NT (Alice area), Was their for 4 months, went back to Alice flew to Melbourne to meet friends for a few weeks - then flew to Darwin to meet up with other friends - travelled down the West Coast to Perth, to meet more people that I had meet in Australia.

I didnt have much of a plan to start apart from getting work in Sydney to be there for New Year..... but it may have been useful to do a bit of travelling first as some of my savings was used up during the time I was looking for work.

Many backpackers now do the 3 months regional work first to get it out of the way - and working on the farms are a great way to meet people.

http://www.travellers.com.au/ Have a look at the travellers contact point site - they have offices in Sydney and are great to get the information you need etc.

Thanks. Well I'm open minded ATM, I will be doing regional work which could prolong my stay but it's just dependant on what kind of time I'm having and funds. I'm not in any rush to get back or go anywhere else.

Thanks. Well I'm open minded ATM, I will be doing regional work which could prolong my stay but it's just dependant on what kind of time I'm having and funds. I'm not in any rush to get back or go anywhere else.

A year may seem like a long time but it passes so quickly. When I was on my WHV it was just announced that they were going to do the 2nd WHV- but it was to late for me to do it - when I got back to UK I was desperate to go back to Austalia - I was lucky that I got sponsored by my previous employer.

I wouldnt rule it out, many people that dont do it wish they did you dont need to do the 2nd year straight away you can return home then go back again as long as you apply for the 2nd visa before you turn 31

Guest kevc

Well I'll be nearly 29 when I leave so would have to apply for it straight away as soon as my year is up.

Hi Kev

You sound so like me in all your posts, and I'm from Durham too - must be the northerness in us keeps us so chilled out!

I'll be 30 when i go in July - gotta get out now before it's too late!

Hope you have a fab time :)

Guest kevc

Ha you can't go anywhere without someone from Durham being there. Lol

Yeah I'm pretty easy going which I think you need to be when traveling alone or think you wouldn't enjoy it. I hope you have a great trip and ya never know we may cross paths : ).

Are you planning on getting the 2nd year WHV??

My advice like the others would be to spend more time Melboure/Sydney in the months your arrive as its the best time of year and hot/wet season further North.

I arrived in Sydney (a good few years ago now) in November - stayed in Sydney for 3 months, more due to wanting to be their for Christmas and New Year. I got work - but didnt leave Sydney with much more money than what I arrived with. Traveled up the East Coast - then worked a few weeks at a Banana farm, spent a bit more time in Cairns. Got a Job in the NT (Alice area), Was their for 4 months, went back to Alice flew to Melbourne to meet friends for a few weeks - then flew to Darwin to meet up with other friends - travelled down the West Coast to Perth, to meet more people that I had meet in Australia.

I didnt have much of a plan to start apart from getting work in Sydney to be there for New Year..... but it may have been useful to do a bit of travelling first as some of my savings was used up during the time I was looking for work.

Many backpackers now do the 3 months regional work first to get it out of the way - and working on the farms are a great way to meet people.

http://www.travellers.com.au/ Have a look at the travellers contact point site - they have offices in Sydney and are great to get the information you need etc.

KevC

I would repeat the above. If it is your intention for an extension then get your 3 months in as soon as you can. Get it out of the way and nuckle down and build that money pot up abit more. Nothing worse than the feeling of meeting people but having/needing to work to enable you to continue on when you are mid way through. Once the 3 months are out of the way then you have an open book and go where you feel like. Probably wont end up as planned anyway. Getting free or shared transport or free/shared accommodation can often throw an interesting spanner into the plans and you go where you end up. Often best that way too, unless you have certain things that you want to experience and see. Many head for the city for xmas and particularly the new year, Bondi being popular for midnight.

Enjoy.

I left the Uk on an overland trip to Sydney back in 2010 using UKTOOZ. Although the experience was awesome there are far better companies out there if that interested you.

We are planning the next trip to Oz by using the Trans Mongolian then train down to Singapore and hopefully a short cruise over to Oz from Bali.

Some idea's there I hope

Have an awesome trip :)

I left the Uk on an overland trip to Sydney back in 2010 using UKTOOZ. Although the experience was awesome there are far better companies out there if that interested you.

We are planning the next trip to Oz by using the Trans Mongolian then train down to Singapore and hopefully a short cruise over to Oz from Bali.

Some idea's there I hope

Have an awesome trip :)

My daughter did a similar thing. Cant remember who she planned it through though.

She got to St Petersberg, then the trans siberian train through Russia stopping on the way then Mongolia and lived with a family then travelled onto Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand etc. ending up in Australia.........on her own! Then met some friends, travelled Oz then met up with her boyfreind and went to South Africa. Not bad for 21.

Guest kevc

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll definately do the regional work first like a few have said as it does make sense. I'm not entirely sure how I'll travel around yet but likely the greyhound or try find someone with a car/van.

Any advice on which fruits etc are best? I'm sure the wage differs from each one and obviously some being easier to pick than others. Or is it a case of grab any job while ya can?

I know there's a website that has calendars and stuff with details of fruit-picking opportunities. I pointed it out to a mate of ours who was supposed to be coming over on a WHV (but didn't in the end). I think it's called the Harvest Trail or something

Sorry I don't remember the website - but I do remember it looked pretty informative too :)

If you want to get work for a 2nd year visa I'd suggest planning your route around that! I planned to go from perth anti clockwise in august and didn't give mucht hought to when the seasonal work starts in each state! And definately go up north during the cooler months otherwise you will DIE from the heat lol, slight exaggeration but it is very hot and humid up north. Also another way to get your 2nd year visa is to do wwoofing work :) check out wwoof.com.au and travellersatwork.com.au

Guest scottiedog

Fruit picking is hard hard work.

Get yerself to Byron Bay for New Year Awesome:wink:

Guest kevc
If you want to get work for a 2nd year visa I'd suggest planning your route around that! I planned to go from perth anti clockwise in august and didn't give mucht hought to when the seasonal work starts in each state! And definately go up north during the cooler months otherwise you will DIE from the heat lol, slight exaggeration but it is very hot and humid up north. Also another way to get your 2nd year visa is to do wwoofing work :) check out wwoof.com.au and travellersatwork.com.au

thanks, i checked out the wwoof site but sounds a bit charityish too me. lol id much rather work and get actual money as im kinda selfish and get no real satisfaction from work apart from the money at the end.

But yeah my plans are now are to do the 3 months regional work first so will be planning around that first of all. applying for my visa next month then 1 way ticket to oz a couple of weeks after that, so should all come together over ther next couple of months then its just saving and waiting : ).

hi yes i am very excited about the trip. 10 years of working 9-5 in the dull uk has taken is toll and about 1 year ago i started thinking about what i could do to change my life around. and travelling oz is my solution. lol thanks for the advice.

Couldn't agree more, this is what I'm doing. Will be be keeping an eye on this thread for my own ideas. Good luck to you

Couldn't agree more, this is what I'm doing. Will be be keeping an eye on this thread for my own ideas. Good luck to you

thanks, i checked out the wwoof site but sounds a bit charityish too me. lol id much rather work and get actual money as im kinda selfish and get no real satisfaction from work apart from the money at the end.

But yeah my plans are now are to do the 3 months regional work first so will be planning around that first of all. applying for my visa next month then 1 way ticket to oz a couple of weeks after that, so should all come together over ther next couple of months then its just saving and waiting : ).

Cool well good luck and keep us updated :) you'll have to start a travel blog on here!

Guest nitrox121

great read here...picked up some tips from this.

ill be doing the same june/july time this year. cant wait!

also travelling solo, bring on the sunshine :)

Archived