What is Woodvale like?

gypsy10

We're emigrating in a few weeks and as soon as we get over the jetlag we're going to be looking for areas to find a long term rental in with a good primary school.

When we were over for 2 weeks last year to validate our visas, we didn't get the chance to explore NOR. I don't know why but Woodvale appeals to me because of it's locality near the train station (to get into the CBD), beaches and it has a number of primary schools too (but i'm not sure what they are like).

We have 2 young boys aged 7 and 5 and just wanted to know if it's a good area?

Any thoughts/opinions on this and surrounding areas would be welcome (good or bad), to help us locate good areas to research when we arrive.

Thank you x

Woodvale is very nice. The high school is good but saying that I have heard that quite a few parents have removed their kids from that school. There are 3 primary schools(I think) Woodvale is a large suburb so close to the station at the southern end but not walking distance at the northern end. We currently live in edgewater which is a neighbouring suburb and are walking distance to edgewater station and 3km to the woodvale tavern(so I've been told!)

Woodvale is nice, we used to live there, but overpriced for what it is. If you can't afford to buy there then I'd say dont put your kids to school there. My son used to go to Woodvale primary and I was happy enough with the school. He's now at a new primary school closer to home which I am happier still with. North Woodvale is nice too. I personally dont rate the after school provision at Woodvale, none on site its based at North Woodvale but I did hear it was changing. Theres a few schools in surrounding, cheaper areas, Hocking and Pearsall...further from train station though. Edgewater is supposed to be good I hear...I also wouldnt be desperate to send my son to the High school, it might have good results but the pastoral care is lacking and plenty of bullying and slack procedures there, they only want kids who are going to keep the schools results where they want them. IMO.

A few rentals usually available in edgewater. My daughter goes to edgewater primary...had no issues. My middle child goes to the catchment high school which is belridge....I know it has had it's issues but is on the up and I know of parents removing their children from woodvale and ocean reef high schools and putting them there. I see happy heart mentioned hocking,we used to rent there...a newer suburb but had no issues...no comments on the schools as I kept the kids in the same schools. We have brought in joondalup and will continue to do the school run to the same schools.

Glad I've just stumbled on this thread, my OH is in Perth and is looking for rentals at the moment and we join him next week. He's submitted a couple of applications for rentals in Woodvale so glad that the schools and area is good, I'll have to mention to look in Edgewater too.

A few rentals usually available in edgewater. My daughter goes to edgewater primary...had no issues. My middle child goes to the catchment high school which is belridge....I know it has had it's issues but is on the up and I know of parents removing their children from woodvale and ocean reef high schools and putting them there. I see happy heart mentioned hocking,we used to rent there...a newer suburb but had no issues...no comments on the schools as I kept the kids in the same schools. We have brought in joondalup and will continue to do the school run to the same schools.

My daughter also at Belridge and I have been impressed so far. My daughter has some issues and I cannot argue with their commitment to trying to help her overcome them.

It is on the up.

My daughter also at Belridge and I have been impressed so far. My daughter has some issues and I cannot argue with their commitment to trying to help her overcome them.

It is on the up.

Agree with you 100%. I read the newsletter yesterday that they are only accepting applications that are in the area now. No out of catchment applications. A shame really as I would like to send youngest there.

Agree with you 100%. I read the newsletter yesterday that they are only accepting applications that are in the area now. No out of catchment applications. A shame really as I would like to send youngest there.

If you are moving to Joondalup then the suburb of Joondalup is an optional catchment area zone so you can choose between Belridge, Kinross and Clarkson I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
We're emigrating in a few weeks and as soon as we get over the jetlag we're going to be looking for areas to find a long term rental in with a good primary school.

When we were over for 2 weeks last year to validate our visas, we didn't get the chance to explore NOR. I don't know why but Woodvale appeals to me because of it's locality near the train station (to get into the CBD), beaches and it has a number of primary schools too (but i'm not sure what they are like).

We have 2 young boys aged 7 and 5 and just wanted to know if it's a good area?

Any thoughts/opinions on this and surrounding areas would be welcome (good or bad), to help us locate good areas to research when we arrive.

Thank you x

It's lovley I'm next suburb up pearsall but woodvale is expensive

• 4 months later...

Hi

I stumbled across your post when I was looking for info on Belridge SHS. We have just secured a let in Connolly and are in the catchment for Belridge. Are you stool happy with the school? My two will be going into years 8 and 11 and are both panic stricken about the whole thing!!!!

Any info would be gratefully appreciated .

Thanks

Bee

It is on the up.

Hi

I stumbled across your post when I was looking for info on Belridge SHS. We have just secured a let in Connolly and are in the catchment for Belridge. Are you stool happy with the school? My two will be going into years 8 and 11 and are both panic stricken about the whole thing!!!!

Any info would be gratefully appreciated .

Thanks

Bee

Belridge has a lot of bad press and I will be honest it has it's fair share of feral kids (compared to some other schools) and it's results aren't fantastic. However, there are also lots of lovely children from lovely families that attend there (I am one!!) I am also impressed with a lot of the teachers and the pastoral care is second to none IMO. I have no complaints at all. They are really trying to improve their reputation. The good thing about Belridge is that most children go down the VET route which is the non university, more trade and apprenticeship route. As a result if you have a child with university ambitions they are well catered for and are usually in very small classes. I took my daughter out of a private school to go to Belridge and she is much happier. I wouldn't worry at all, usually the people with something bad to say about the place don't actually have children there.

I live in Connolly too, you will love the suburb. Any other questions just ask, you can send me a PM if you would rather. Happy to help with any information on the local Connolly area or schools.

Woodvale is a nice suburb. Most of the suburbs round there are nice too. Edgewater is nice but I wouldn't want to be near the lake when the mossies are breeding. Stops you being outside unless you can screen the outside area. Not impossible to do that though.

My eldest went to Ocean Reef High school and did well enough there. He never wanted to go to uni but did some really interesting courses. Learnt to dive, went on a trip to the Abrolhos, enjoyed school for the most part which is a big thing in itself. I think the school has a lot of students from the UK. It was changing when my son was there. When he started it was all Aussie rules, swimming, surfing and then a few years later they have a soccer academy.

My son was pretty peed off in the last year as he was in the swim team and they had always been in the first division and done well the whole way through his school life. When a few English kids started anything that wasn't soccer was deemed "gay". I remember him going to a swim carnival and a load of the new UK kids rolled up with lipstick and bras on for the carnival. The teachers took them to one side and sent them back to school but the damage had been done. The kids who wanted to be "cool" were under pressure to say swimming was not relevant any more. Most of the UK guys couldn't swim and had never been shown how and they weren't going to start just because they had moved to Aus.

Shame really. At least my son was in the final year when it started heading that way.

Woodvale is a nice suburb. Most of the suburbs round there are nice too. Edgewater is nice but I wouldn't want to be near the lake when the mossies are breeding. Stops you being outside unless you can screen the outside area. Not impossible to do that though.

My eldest went to Ocean Reef High school and did well enough there. He never wanted to go to uni but did some really interesting courses. Learnt to dive, went on a trip to the Abrolhos, enjoyed school for the most part which is a big thing in itself. I think the school has a lot of students from the UK. It was changing when my son was there. When he started it was all Aussie rules, swimming, surfing and then a few years later they have a soccer academy.

My son was pretty peed off in the last year as he was in the swim team and they had always been in the first division and done well the whole way through his school life. When a few English kids started anything that wasn't soccer was deemed "gay". I remember him going to a swim carnival and a load of the new UK kids rolled up with lipstick and bras on for the carnival. The teachers took them to one side and sent them back to school but the damage had been done. The kids who wanted to be "cool" were under pressure to say swimming was not relevant any more. Most of the UK guys couldn't swim and had never been shown how and they weren't going to start just because they had moved to Aus.

Shame really. At least my son was in the final year when it started heading that way.

That's odd, all my kids have swimming lessons in the UK. Is this not the same everywhere? Swimming is one of the best sports you can do in the UK as it's always bloody raining. Mine swim all the time, and they tend to play rugby at school rather than football. (State school). Most of the football seems to be organized externally.

Guest Guest 47403
That's odd, all my kids have swimming lessons in the UK. Is this not the same everywhere? Swimming is one of the best sports you can do in the UK as it's always bloody raining. Mine swim all the time, and they tend to play rugby at school rather than football. (State school). Most of the football seems to be organized externally.

Free swimming lessons?

Free swimming lessons?
I would have to check with the wife, but as far as I can recall they were free. It was pe for two terms I think.

We did paid swimming lessons with the older two as well. We never did it with the youngest as I was ill at the time. My older boy surprised me, as he is not bad, does alternate breathing for freestyle an all.

The youngest was a worry as he had no confidence and wouldn't leave my side. But he has suddenly just come into his own and his confidence has bloomed. Just as well as his school starts lessons soon.

Edited by newjez

We had our 16 yr old UK nephew over recently and there's quite a difference in mindset between him and our 16 & 15 yr old nephews who have been here since they were little. I've not seen him since he was 10 but he was very cynical and too-cool-for-school with the other boys. The reason I'm replying is that, similar to your experience, he said that going to the beach was 'gay'. He constantly took the piss out of what the other kids were wearing e.g. surf stuff and thongs. He wears trackies and Adidas you see. They do stuff like indoor footy, rock-climbing, life-saving, other stuff and he wasn't interested. I think he is already a pub goer.

The kids here seem to be able to be kids for longer, which is a good thing IMO. We were all a little sad when he left as he used to be a wonderful little boy but, at 16, that seems a long time ago now.

There is one pool near where I used to live (Clay Cross) and that's a 25m indoor one at the leisure centre. Never laned off and usually a few people in having a splash around. We didn't get any swimming lessons at school. I used to like swimming and went to the "main baths" in Chesterfield at least once a week. Mainly to play around on the diving boards though as it wasn't laned off either. Never taught to swim by anyone and had never swum with my head under water, breathing to one side and never used goggles until I came here.

When we were on holiday last year, near Stockport, there is one pool in Stockport and I took the youngster one day. It cost about 5 pounds each for a swim in a non-laned pool. Not many people in though so we got a decent swim.

They had a decent pool in Hyde where we used to live years ago but they demolished it and put in one of those "fun" pools with a wave machine. No swimming area at all and expensive to get in for a 40min session. Used to get a coloured armband and lights flashed when it was your time to get out.

When I worked in London in the 80's I was in Teddington and I hunted all round for a decent pool. Managed to find one that was a 20 min car drive away but same old story a free for all with no lanes.

Your kids must go to a good school if they are getting lessons. Maybe things have improved since we left but I didn't see much sign of it when we were back there last August. My nieces and nephews can swim enough to stay afloat but non are very good at swimming. They hardly go in the water when they are here and are scared stiff if there's any waves around.

I agree with swimming being a good sport in the UK but you obviously need indoor pools. Here we have several outdoor 50m pools to choose from, all of them laned off, all of them run squads from beginners to olympic level. They are a lot cheaper than the UK, $4.50 at our local pool and so much nicer.

You must live in a good area with

Growing up in the uk all my friends could swim. Sounds like the school may have started to get less desirable Brits joining (chavs).

They were only interested in soccer, good at it though. Within a year of having the soccer academy they had won some Asian cup where they had to go to Malaysia (I think it was) to play the final. I went to watch them a couple of times and they used to thrash all the other school teams from around the area. Maybe soccer academies attract chavs? Wouldn't be surprised.

My son was friendly with a couple of the soccer players though and they seemed nice kids. I guess there's swimming and swimming. I thought I could swim until I came here.

Bit like my wife when she moved to Canada as a youngster. She was swimming for the county and joined the school swim squad when they emigrated. School had it's own pool. She rolled up thinking she would be among the best and said she almost died when they coach said "right 1500m warm up".:laugh:

My son used to swim at Beatty Park at 5:30am 3 mornings a week. They would do about 5km in 1.5 hours. We used to have to get up at 4:30am to get there. Looking back I don't know how we kept it up. Big difference between that and going for a splash around.

We had our 16 yr old UK nephew over recently and there's quite a difference in mindset between him and our 16 & 15 yr old nephews who have been here since they were little. I've not seen him since he was 10 but he was very cynical and too-cool-for-school with the other boys. The reason I'm replying is that, similar to your experience, he said that going to the beach was 'gay'. He constantly took the piss out of what the other kids were wearing e.g. surf stuff and thongs. He wears trackies and Adidas you see. They do stuff like indoor footy, rock-climbing, life-saving, other stuff and he wasn't interested. I think he is already a pub goer.

The kids here seem to be able to be kids for longer, which is a good thing IMO. We were all a little sad when he left as he used to be a wonderful little boy but, at 16, that seems a long time ago now.

Know exactly what you mean.

We had some friends emigrate when their kids were in the last couple of years at school. Nice kids but the "too cool for school attitude" was how I described them. It was the norm in the school they came from to be disobedient, surly, not take part in sport. They thought they would be really liked at school, as they had been in Manchester. They soon found out that no-one but them thought it was "gay" to swim, take part in sport, not smoke and drink, and generally misbehave. They were outcasts for a while but luckily had long enough to realise that they had to change to be liked here and they did. Two really guys kids with good jobs now, One married with a house.

When my nephews came over one of them used to dress just like Ali G, complete with sunglasses in the house.:laugh: They were so unfit it was unbelievable. I took them on a bike ride with my youngster and his friend and after about 2km they were begging to get off the bikes and walk. Hopeless.

My wife took her Sister and the oldest nephew to Freo and the nephew, who's about 6ft and 15 stone, decides to buy a kids back pack with an animal face on it and walk round Freo with it on his back. Looked great with his adidas tracksuit, cap back to front and trainers on a 40 degree day.:laugh: