Sticking with your original visa route...

cartertucker

Just wondered, after all the changes recently, alot of people are opting for sponsered....

But who is sticking with their original visa route & why?

We are planning to stick with our 175 visa route & hope that it wont take much longer than a year to come through

Looking forward to hearing from you & your views

Kelly :v_SPIN:

Guest mark&robyn

We too are sticking with the 175 visa.

Don't want to be stuck to just one state for 2 years.

We have the advantage that we have got Working holiday visa so can still get out to Oz next month & wait.

Good luck to all waiting! As you say, fingers crossed it will be within the year or not much longer than a year!!

Hi cartetucker

We are also sticking with our 175.

Frankly we've got a lot to sort out and I want it all done and dusted before we go as we won't be coming back here. The kids are still young and we don't feel desperate at the moment.

We all know how time flies and we'll get there in the end!

Good luck everyone

Sue x

Hi cartetucker

We are also sticking with our 175.

Frankly we've got a lot to sort out and I want it all done and dusted before we go as we won't be coming back here. The kids are still young and we don't feel desperate at the moment.

We all know how time flies and we'll get there in the end!

Good luck everyone

Sue x

Hi Sue.....

:jiggy: Hooray, this is exactly how I feel about it & have been thinking, we have alot to arrange & also alot of things we want to do before we go & as long as we do get there, thats the main thing.

Having said all of the above, I dont really want to be waiting much beyond Feb 2010 (My eldest will be 17 this December)....So its interesting to hear what timescales people are being told

Hi Kelly

Timescales??? Million dollar question hahaha

Last December, before the CSL list normal SOL 175s were taking between 9-12 months.

As they won't be looking at them till 1/07 this year, if things stay normal there will be a few months added on to that. But who knows what all these new lists will do to it all?

Waiting game! We'll see what 1st July brings!!

Sue x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kelly

You make some very valid points. However:

1. In saying you want your visa by February 2010 you are necessarily saying that you believe the recession will be over by then and that the Minister for Immi will have re-opened the door to a migration-fest in plenty of time before Feb 2010.

2. If the Minister does not re-open the door within your desired timescale, which after all is only 11 months away, you run the risk that your son will have turned 18 and will no longer be dependent on you by the time the door is re-opened and then your visa application reaches the head of the queue for consideration. If he is not still dependent on you at the time when the CO is ready to make a decision on your visa application, your CO will insist that you withdraw your son from the application failing which the CO will deny the visa to the whole family. Therefore I would suggest that you need a Plan B for your son in case the timescale does not work out as you want it to.

3. The States/Territories are free to change their own Sponsorship Lists whenever they like. How they deal with Sponsorship applications is entirely up to the State/Territory concerned.

South Australia have announced that they will be removing certain occupations from their Lists and will publish new Lists at 5pm Adelaide time on 31st March. They are saying that if anybody wants to be absolutely sure of State Sponsorship from SA they had better submit an application before SA cut their Lists.

Tasmania have closed the door and gone into retreat for a month. They say that by the time they re-open for business on 20th April they will have devised a new Policy for TAS. All existing and future applications will be determined according to whatever their new Policy turns out to be.

WA State Migration had a meeting yesterday to consider what to do about the WA List.One of the State Sponsorship processing staff in WA told an enquirer a couple of days beforehand that she knew that the skilled trades were on the agenda for discussion at the meeting but she had no idea which way the Directors would jump on the question of whether to remove skilled trade occupations from the WA List in order to bring the State List into line with the new CSL.

The situation is very, very unpredictable at the moment. All the States admit, without exception, that they are re-examining their Lists because the Minister has ordered them to do so. So far, none of the States have published their reactions to the Minister's Latest Wheeze so nobody knows how long it will be before the current situation at least settles down sufficiently for everybody to see what is happening now and is likely to happen over the next 6,12, 18 and 24 months.

Personally I am not taking bets beyond 12 months because 12 to 24 months would give the Minister plenty of time in which to alter the fundamental principles of Australia's Migration Policy if he wants to and to introduce a whole new range of visas which reflect a new Policy. The current range of visas reflect a Policy which was set before banks started falling like ninepins, causing the bottom to drop out of the world's liquidity supply.

I think the whole situation is too new and too uncertain for anybody to predict what will happen for more than about 3 months after the States show their new colours within the next few days or weeks. The Minister has shown that he can and will change the entire game plan with zero prior warning to a soul whenever he thinks the game plan needs tweaking. He must be about the most unpredictable Minister for Immi that Australia has ever employed, I would think. He is known to be a staunch believer in employer-sponsored migration. He never stops banging on about that. He likes the State Sponsorship program but he does not like it as much as he loves employer sponsorship. Beyond that it is impossible to tell what he really thinks, I reckon..

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Kelly,

We are doing the same as Yorkshireclan, word for word x

me also, the way things are changing at the mo you've got to give yourself the best chance of getting the visa, and after all if you want to give yourself sometime to sort things out you have 5 years validity on a visa, HOW MUCH TIME YA WANT :hug:

Guest The Goodchilds

We are sticking to 175 visa to and will just wait and see. O/H is a gas fitter /plumber so looks like we could be here a few years yet.

Hi Kelly

You make some very valid points. However:

1. In saying you want your visa by February 2010 you are necessarily saying that you believe the recession will be over by then and that the Minister for Immi will have re-opened the door to a migration-fest in plenty of time before Feb 2010.

2. If the Minister does not re-open the door within your desired timescale, which after all is only 11 months away, you run the risk that your son will have turned 18 and will no longer be dependent on you by the time the door is re-opened and then your visa application reaches the head of the queue for consideration. If he is not still dependent on you at the time when the CO is ready to make a decision on your visa application, your CO will insist that you withdraw your son from the application failing which the CO will deny the visa to the whole family. Therefore I would suggest that you need a Plan B for your son in case the timescale does not work out as you want it to.

3. The States/Territories are free to change their own Sponsorship Lists whenever they like. How they deal with Sponsorship applications is entirely up to the State/Territory concerned.

South Australia have announced that they will be removing certain occupations from their Lists and will publish new Lists at 5pm Adelaide time on 31st March. They are saying that if anybody wants to be absolutely sure of State Sponsorship from SA they had better submit an application before SA cut their Lists.

Tasmania have closed the door and gone into retreat for a month. They say that by the time they re-open for business on 20th April they will have devised a new Policy for TAS. All existing and future applications will be determined according to whatever their new Policy turns out to be.

WA State Migration had a meeting yesterday to consider what to do about the WA List.One of the State Sponsorship processing staff in WA told an enquirer a couple of days beforehand that she knew that the skilled trades were on the agenda for discussion at the meeting but she had no idea which way the Directors would jump on the question of whether to remove skilled trade occupations from the WA List in order to bring the State List into line with the new CSL.

The situation is very, very unpredictable at the moment. All the States admit, without exception, that they are re-examining their Lists because the Minister has ordered them to do so. So far, none of the States have published their reactions to the Minister's Latest Wheeze so nobody knows how long it will be before the current situation at least settles down sufficiently for everybody to see what is happening now and is likely to happen over the next 6,12, 18 and 24 months.

Personally I am not taking bets beyond 12 months because 12 to 24 months would give the Minister plenty of time in which to alter the fundamental principles of Australia's Migration Policy if he wants to and to introduce a whole new range of visas which reflect a new Policy. The current range of visas reflect a Policy which was set before banks started falling like ninepins, causing the bottom to drop out of the world's liquidity supply.

I think the whole situation is too new and too uncertain for anybody to predict what will happen for more than about 3 months after the States show their new colours within the next few days or weeks. The Minister has shown that he can and will change the entire game plan with zero prior warning to a soul whenever he thinks the game plan needs tweaking. He must be about the most unpredictable Minister for Immi that Australia has ever employed, I would think. He is known to be a staunch believer in employer-sponsored migration. He never stops banging on about that. He likes the State Sponsorship program but he does not like it as much as he loves employer sponsorship. Beyond that it is impossible to tell what he really thinks, I reckon..

Best wishes

Gill

I appreciate that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but would you best guess that if and when the states re-assess their lists, that they would follow suit with the official CSL or would you think possibly that they could actually exclude skills that are on the official immigration CSL?

Thanks for any views

Guest jason brickie
Just wondered, after all the changes recently, alot of people are opting for sponsered....

But who is sticking with their original visa route & why?

We are planning to stick with our 175 visa route & hope that it wont take much longer than a year to come through

Hi, we are sticking with the 175 visa! We have come to far to panic and give up! As my OH said "I will do anything untill things pick up", Australia is a very BIG place you know :laugh:

We are sticking to origional visa route

A) Hubby contacted DIAC and they said should revert back to the normal time ie 12months fom when visa was submitted, but im sure they are all saying different things

B) If there is no work in OZ for bricklaying it makes sense us staying here becasue at least i have an ok job that can carry th both of us when he is out of work( Which he is at mo)

payments on house here are nothing with the rate decrese.

C) Can continue with my eductaion so when we do get there could afford him out of work again if i work.

D) Got a bit of time for flexibiltiy son only in year 7 high school

Devastating as it is think would be finicial suicide if we were there this year anyway now ( for us anyway)

Hello petal.

Still not sure what we are going to do as we're still waiting on a TRA decision! I imagine with the baby coming that we'll stick with a 175 as I don't want to add too much stress to my life in one go! However, I am very worried that Dan's job will come off the list once we put the application through so goodness knows really.

Fingers crossed on the TRA result for the now!

Kate

Hi, we are waiting for 175 too, cant afford to go right now anyway as preparing house to rent out, and need to save up for shipping plus savings for when we arrive. So may as well hang on in for 175- like Gill said its an uncertain time and no one knows what will happen at any time so trying not to worry and be patient. As long as we get there eventually !!!

Well, after having lots of thoughts today & reading everyones thoughts....Im having second thoughts myself!!!

Have checked & Queensland are offering to sponser my husbands trade....We have sold our house....My son will be 17 this December & as Gill rightly points out, I shouldnt risk leaving it & then he turns 18, that would be terrible. I was Ok to wait the year, pushing 18months, but what if that turns to two years....Thats too long

Im going slightly mad....But hope this is the right thing to do, wish my agent was open, so I could have a chat with her!

Really appreciate everyones posts

Guest elaina

hi,

we are changing to a 176 when my o/h job offer comes through, just in talks with potential employer at the minute, we're heading for a place 3 1//2 hrs outside melbourne, so i'm hoping because we're not heading for a major city it will go in our favour.

is your son in fulltime education? if so you should be ok along as he stays there, and you can proove he is dependant on you, which is hard for any teenager to admit.(spking from experience)!!!!

hi,

we are changing to a 176 when my o/h job offer comes through, just in talks with potential employer at the minute, we're heading for a place 3 1//2 hrs outside melbourne, so i'm hoping because we're not heading for a major city it will go in our favour.

is your son in fulltime education? if so you should be ok along as he stays there, and you can proove he is dependant on you, which is hard for any teenager to admit.(spking from experience)!!!!

Hiya, yes my son is still in school at the moment & when he leaves will also be dependent on us, mayby going to college

Your 176, is that a skilled regional sponsered? Im curious as to why you say, it will go in your favour not going to a major city? (excuse my ignorance, but im new to the 176)

Guest Gollywobbler
Well, after having lots of thoughts today & reading everyones thoughts....Im having second thoughts myself!!!

Have checked & Queensland are offering to sponser my husbands trade....We have sold our house....My son will be 17 this December & as Gill rightly points out, I shouldnt risk leaving it & then he turns 18, that would be terrible. I was Ok to wait the year, pushing 18months, but what if that turns to two years....Thats too long

Im going slightly mad....But hope this is the right thing to do, wish my agent was open, so I could have a chat with her!

Really appreciate everyones posts

Hi Kelly

I think with a teenager who is not far off 18 the issue is not necessarily confined to financial dependence. They become independent of you socially, regardless of financial arrangements. If he then doesn't want to leave his mates or the love of his life, it can cause a whole raft of other problems, plainly!

I'd suggest a chat with your agent asap. Let us say that she advises you to apply to QLD for sponsorship for the sc 176 visa. So you do that and your visa is granted relatively quickly.

Once the visa is granted the whole family would have to travel to Oz, if only for a brief rekky visit, in order to validate the visa within the 12 months since the meds and police checks were done. Have they been done yet? If not, or if they have only ben done recently, then you might find that with State Sponsorship your original timescale of Feb 2010 would just about work? I suspect it would be likely to come down to when you must validate by rather than whether you would get the visa in time if you see what I mean?

Cheers

Gill

Guest elaina

just different things been hearing over the last few days, that more rural areas are where the shortages are, but you have to be careful because some of the areas can be abit dodgey. the place were looking at is warrnambool, it's a seaside town where melbourer's go for ther hol's or so i'm told.

Hi Kelly

I think with a teenager who is not far off 18 the issue is not necessarily confined to financial dependence. They become independent of you socially, regardless of financial arrangements. If he then doesn't want to leave his mates or the love of his life, it can cause a whole raft of other problems, plainly!

I'd suggest a chat with your agent asap. Let us say that she advises you to apply to QLD for sponsorship for the sc 176 visa. So you do that and your visa is granted relatively quickly.

Once the visa is granted the whole family would have to travel to Oz, if only for a brief rekky visit, in order to validate the visa within the 12 months since the meds and police checks were done. Have they been done yet? If not, or if they have only ben done recently, then you might find that with State Sponsorship your original timescale of Feb 2010 would just about work? I suspect it would be likely to come down to when you must validate by rather than whether you would get the visa in time if you see what I mean?

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill, I have emailed my agent, so should be speaking with her Monday.

With regard to your comments, once the visa is granted, how long do you get before you have to get out to Australia, we really dont want to have to go on recci/validation trip (We have already sold our house, so no problems with waiting for that)

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill, I have emailed my agent, so should be speaking with her Monday.

With regard to your comments, once the visa is granted, how long do you get before you have to get out to Australia, we really dont want to have to go on recci/validation trip (We have already sold our house, so no problems with waiting for that)

Hi Kelly

The visa usually has to be validated (via making an Initial Entry to Oz using it) within 12 months of the EARLIER of the police checks or the meds.

Hence for you, getting to or somewhere near your original wish of moving to Oz in about Feb 2010 depends on when the meds & police were done or will be done, I reckon.

Have they been done yet? If so, when were they done?

I know it is a nightmare when you are trying to work out the options and people start throwing new pieces at you and saying, "Shove that into the logistical jig saw and see if it fits." It is brutal but please don't shoot the messenger because I am not responsible for this myriad of rules, or for the fact that the current Minister apparently thinks that changing them every five minutes is as amusing for us as it must be for him!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Kelly

The visa usually has to be validated (via making an Initial Entry to Oz using it) within 12 months of the EARLIER of the police checks or the meds.

Hence for you, getting to or somewhere near your original wish of moving to Oz in about Feb 2010 depends on when the meds & police were done or will be done, I reckon.

Have they been done yet? If so, when were they done?

I know it is a nightmare when you are trying to work out the options and people start throwing new pieces at you and saying, "Shove that into the logistical jig saw and see if it fits." It is brutal but please don't shoot the messenger because I am not responsible for this myriad of rules, or for the fact that the current Minister apparently thinks that changing them every five minutes is as amusing for us as it must be for him!

Cheers

Gill

12 months would be fine, great in fact....We havent done meds or PC yet, just lodged visa on 18/03.

Having had another look on Queenslands list, we are in actual fact on the 'skilled regional sponsered' list, which is a temporary visa.....also has a few requirements!!

:arghh:

Archived