Sticking with your original visa route...

cartertucker

Hi Kelly ( and everyone else).

This is a great thread as it is on the minds of many people. We are in the exact same position, about to apply for our 175 but do have the option to go for 176.

Without the recession and continual changes to immigration policy we were definately going for the 175. Dont mind the extra wait, as one poster said as long as you get there is the main thing....however my fear now is that we have really only seen the start of the impact of the world recession and there could be major changes to the Australian system over the next couple of years (my opinion only....totally unfounded!). My fear would be that in say 12 months we get notification that our 175 application is not valid due to changes that have been made.

I think therefore we are going to opt for the 176 to get he visa in the bag....i am due to talk to agent next week re the best route.........

Anyway guys, someday we'll all be stolling home from work with the sun on our backs wondering if it will be the tiger prawns or the swordfish to hit the barbie this evening.........hang in there everyone, it will all be worth it!!!

Karl, Sue Jessica (3)

Guest Sebbers
Well, after having lots of thoughts today & reading everyones thoughts....Im having second thoughts myself!!!

Have checked & Queensland are offering to sponser my husbands trade....We have sold our house....My son will be 17 this December & as Gill rightly points out, I shouldnt risk leaving it & then he turns 18, that would be terrible. I was Ok to wait the year, pushing 18months, but what if that turns to two years....Thats too long

Im going slightly mad....But hope this is the right thing to do, wish my agent was open, so I could have a chat with her!

Really appreciate everyones posts

Kelly :v_SPIN:

Hi Kelly,

One of the major factors for us changing to 176 visa was our daughter's age she's already turned 17 and we feel that we don't want to be in a position that she could well have to apply in her own right. At the moment she is still in full-time education but who's to say after completing her A levels she decides she doesn't want to study anymore and what's to find work - which would cause all sorts of problems for us as we would not want to be leaving the UK without her. So for us the decision was very simple in that state sponsorship is the way to go albeit we are now having to look at a different state.

Jen

Thanks everyone, you have all posted some great replies

I am waiting to speak with my agent tommorow, as need to know more about the 475 visa, its a temporary skilled sponsered one.....But wondering if we can apply for that now, with our 175 running along side it???

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kelly

You could leave a subclass 175 application running in the background and apply for a subclass 475 visa as well. The latter would be granted quickly if you have State Sponsorship rather than Family Sponsorship.

However the sc 475 visa is provisional for 3 years. The deal is that you have to live and work in aSpecified Regional area of the State (ie outside of the postcodes controlled by Brisbane City Council and Gold Coast City Council between them) for 2 years out of the 3 years and work in one of the "regional" areas for 1 year out of the 3 years.

Obviously if the visa is nearly a year old by the time you move to Oz then the timing would be quite tight. That said, there is a saving provision whereby you can get an extra 12 months in which to meet the qualifying conditions:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

The information about the sc 475 visa is here:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

You would get the visitor level of Medicare automatically because you are British:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

The DIAC application fee for an sc 475 application is $2,105. It is not possible to do a free switch in the way that is possible between the subclass 175 and 176 because the subclass 475 visa is in a different Class. The first two are both in Class VE but the 475 is in Class VF. So there would be no way round the additional payment of another $2,105.

Your profile says that Hubby is a Roofer. Is that the occupation you have nominated for your sc 175 visa?

I think any sane agent will advise you as follows:

1. Forget about the idea of going to QLD on an sc 475 visa.

2. Switch to an sc 176 visa instead, sponsored by a different State. The following States are offering sc 176 sponsorship for Roof Slaters & Tilers:

• South Australia
  • Victoria
  • Australian Capital Territory
  • West Australia

Out of these States, the ACT charge $275 for the application. None of the others apart from NSW charge for State Sponsorship applications (not yet, anyway.) More importantly, SA have announced that they will be publishing a new sc 176 List at 5pm Adelaide time on Tuesday 31st March and they have stated that some occupations on the current List will be removed from it. They say they will honour the existing List for all occupations where the application was with SA prior to 5pm on the 31st. So if you are going to apply to SA then you really MUST get your skates on because they might very well take Roofer off their 176 List next week, I suspect.

As yet WA have not said what their own plans are in the light of the new CSL. They had a State Migration pow-wow about it on the morning of Friday 20th March. Somebody working in the State Sponsorship section said she knew that the Group 4 skilled trades were on the Agenda for the meeting but since the meeting had not taken place by the time she mentioned this, obviously she had no idea what decisions would be made. There has been no post-meeting feedback from WA as yet.

VIC seem to have their own Lists under constant review and as far as I can see they are in general chaos and turmoil. There are allegations of a major Immigration fraud in Melbourne, allegedly involving Students who were studying for Group 4 occupations at the many colleges in Melbourne. Because of the alleged scam VIC have said that they will not consider applications for Group 4 occupations until the outcome of the DIAC fraud investigation is known. Which could take many months. I imagine that what VIC mean is that they will not consider Group 4 applications from people who have trained for them in Oz but I am not sure. Common sense is that offshore applicants who were trained offshore plainly aren't involved in the alleged scam. However all Australian Government departments parrot, "Our Policy is strictly non-discriminatory." VIC might have taken the view that discriminating against everyone with a Group 4 occupation is less discriminatory than discriminating against some of them only - VIC's logic is so strange that I would not put this past them. However you would have to phone them to find out what the score actually is (or your agent would have to.)

I've not heard of the ACT saying anything at all lately so I do not know what view they are going to take in the light of the new CSL.

The link to all of the State/Territory websites is here:

http://www.australia.gov.au/topics/immigration/state-and-territory-migration-sites

If you feel able to pick one or more of the four on offer, the State's own website is the place to begin your research.

If it were me the choice would be WA or SA and I would probably make applications to both of those but not to the ACT or VIC. However the next person will undoubtedly say that s/he can't bear the thought of WA or SA but would be willing to compromise by applying to VIC and/or the ACT instead. It is such a personal decision that there is no right or wrong with it and I would not try to influence you between any of the 4. VIC and the ACT are both closer to QLD than the remaining two options.

I think what everyone has to grasp though is that the Minister has altered the whole philosophy of migration to Oz. A year ago the official Policy was "roll up and move to wherever you please." Minister Evans has turned that on to its head. His message is, "If you want a visa for Australia soon then the choiice is between the States which actually want your occupation, as shown on the various State Lists. If none of those destinations would suit you then you will not get a visa for Oz any time soon. Your choice."

By putting Roofer onto its 475 List QLD are saying that there are already more than enough Roofers in the immediate vicinity of Brisbane & Gold Coast Cities. They need Roofers further afield in the Regional parts of the State and they can insist on this via the 475 visa.

So Australia has changed its whole attitude to how migrants disperse once they reach Australia. The Minister is passionate about this idea because he targets it even more narrowly by putting employer-sponsorship at the top of his own list of Favourite Visas. As far as he is concerned a visa that sends a migrant to the very spot where he is needed (ie wherever his Aussie employer wants him to go) and which ensures that he will actually do the job he is skilled at once he arrives in Oz, and will ensure that he has a permanent job waiting for him in Oz before he even gets there is the perfect way to run Australia's migration program.

It is ONLY my hunch but for what it is worth, I am expecting to see Minister Evans become really strict about letting people pick & choose for themselves because that is not doing anything like as much as it should be doing towards solving Australia's localised skill shortage problems in some areas whilst protecting the jobs of the Aussies already doing these jobs in other areas. I think his logic is absolutely right. The $64,000 questions are:

• How much tweaking can he do? and
  • How fast could he do it?

Because of this I agree with Sebbers, Kangaroo.Bruce and various others. If you have a PR visa for Oz then you are in your own decision-making loop about when to move to Oz and where to. If you do not have a visa and can't get one quickly because your occupation has been removed from all the State Lists then you do not have any choices at all except to sit, wait and hope for the eventual best.

What are your reasons for wanting QLD, Kelly? Do you have close family there?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest tony byrne

hi gill just wondering if i was to apply for the prospsective marriage visa how would this effect my 175visa which has already been lodged. looked at the 176 for qld but couldnt find bricklaying on it.

Hi

Where going to stick to our 175.

We where at the final stages of our visa, just got a case officer who requested our meds.

Our agent says we could change over but realy dident see the point as we would probebly be one of the first getting out visa granted in july when they start looking at them again.

Theres no point in rushing out there now anyway when theres no jobs to go to, there confident that this ressesion will start picking up in 6 months time (who knows) so we are just going to wait till then :smile:

Guest Stupendousman

Hi guys

How long ago did you apply for your VISA? We applied for our 175 in September last year (2008) and haven't heard from a case officer yet...of course we didn't use an agent so are probably a little more in the dark than most.

Also am I correct in assuming that applications are not going to be looked at until the 1st July? My wife seriously won't survive another British Winter!

Thanks for the help

Guest Gollywobbler
hi gill just wondering if i was to apply for the prospsective marriage visa how would this effect my 175visa which has already been lodged. looked at the 176 for qld but couldnt find bricklaying on it.

Hi Tony

Bricklayiing is not on the 176 List for QLD. They only offer sponsorship for it on the Skilled Regional Sponsored sc 475 visa.

If you get a Prospective Marriage Visa it would not have any effect on your sc 175 application. You just leave that running, to take its normal course. However you would need to be outside Oz at the time when the sc 175 visa is granted. Bali, Fiji, Singapore and Auckland are the usual destinations. New Caledonia is also a possibility from QLD since there is a DIAC office in Noumea. 5 working days outside Oz is usually enough but in practice a package deal for 7-10 nights is usually cheaper than independent travel, accommodation etc.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi guys

How long ago did you apply for your VISA? We applied for our 175 in September last year (2008) and haven't heard from a case officer yet...of course we didn't use an agent so are probably a little more in the dark than most.

Also am I correct in assuming that applications are not going to be looked at until the 1st July? My wife seriously won't survive another British Winter!

Thanks for the help

Hello matey

Depends on what occupation you have applied under.....

Basically unless you have an IT or medical trade then you are in for a long wait...Check new CSL here...

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

If your occupation is not listed on here i would consider the option of state sponsorship if you want your visa issuing anytime soon..

Heres link for States sponsored occupations...

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Goodluck

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi guys

Thanks for the help

Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Your public profile says that you are an Accountant?

Are you a CSL type of Accountant, please?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

I haven't a clue what it means about Accountants. I am merely the Parrot.

If you fit the bill. this is what the current info e-mail from the ASPC says:

GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION ADELAIDE

PROCESSING INFORMATION FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING:

16 March 2009

This is an automated e-mail response which provides weekly updated

information on skilled migration applications being processed by the

Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre (ASPC). Please do not reply to this

email address. This mailbox is not monitored. Our contact details are

listed below.

ASPC PROCESSING INFORMATION

On 17 December 2008 the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship announced

changes to the way General Skilled Migration applications will be

processed. Details can be found on the DIAC website at:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#j

As a result of the Minister's direction, as of 1 January 2009, all

applications for General Skilled Migration are being processed in the

following priority order:

1. Applications with a successful State & Territory Nomination (until all

applications have been processed); and then

2. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills

List (CSL) (until all applications have been processed); and then

3. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Migration

Occupations in Demand List (MODL) (until all applications have been

processed); and then

4. All other remaining applications

The Minister's direction applies to the processing of all skilled migration

applications currently before the department.

Application Processing Information

Please Note: You should allow a further 10 working days after the relevant

date indicated below for your case officer to contact you. If you have not

been contacted after this time please lodge an enquiry about your

application at General Skilled Migration Post-Lodgement Enquiry Form

Applications are now being processed as follows:

State & Territory Nominated Applications:

Once the department has received and approved a nomination from a state or

territory authority processing of the application will commence within 10

working days of that approval.

Applications with a nominated occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL):

Applications are being processed in date of lodgement order. The ASPC

expects to have commenced processing of all CSL applications held by this

office by the end of May 2009.

Information about the CSL can be found on the department's website at:

Applications with a nominated occupation on the Migration Occupations in

Demand List (MODL):

Applications are not being processed at present.

All Other Applications

Applications are not being processed at present.

Last Monday (16th March) they gave the CSL a savage haircut. However a lot of the occupations which were chopped out of the CSL are on the MODL anyway:

Is your occupation in demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration

And the Year End is 30th June. It was tautologous to have people on the CSL and the MODL in the first place. I suspect they have done some rearranging partly to get rid of the tautology and partly because the Minister would get jeered at if his Brave New Scheme resulted in no MODL sc 175 applications being granted during the second half of the Program Year. It would not do to have egg on the Ministerial Face, obviously.

One would wonder why the MODL contains the words "In Demand", methinks.

So I suspect political expediency because in January they were sure they needed the all of the people on the old CSL to hurtle to Oz fast and they were urgently needed in every nook & cranny in Oz, apparently. One has heard of loaves and fishes in another context but this urgent demand was satisfied somewhat speedily, wasn't it?

Anyhow, if you are not on the new CSL and you are not on the MODL either then State Sponsorship is the best game in town anyway. It holds the system up for months.

Cheers

Gill

Well we wre sticking to 175 but i'm now not sure. We have worked so hard doing this without an agent, we frontloaded meds and pc and just found out about form 80 so sent that off too. We thought it was time to just sit and wait and concentrate on selling the house. Our meds don't expire til end of Jan 2010 (even though we sent them off in Dec 08). We put our house on the market last Thursday and had a viewing on Sat. He is now coming back with his wife for a second viewing tomorrow. So should we wait or for 175 or change to 176 i just don't know. My hubby is a mechanic and i've just checked and he is on the Queensland list. Would they tell us where we had to live in Queensland or could we choose this ourselves? Is there much more paperwork involved? So confused now

Hi Kelly

You could leave a subclass 175 application running in the background and apply for a subclass 475 visa as well. The latter would be granted quickly if you have State Sponsorship rather than Family Sponsorship.

However the sc 475 visa is provisional for 3 years. The deal is that you have to live and work in aSpecified Regional area of the State (ie outside of the postcodes controlled by Brisbane City Council and Gold Coast City Council between them) for 2 years out of the 3 years and work in one of the "regional" areas for 1 year out of the 3 years.

Obviously if the visa is nearly a year old by the time you move to Oz then the timing would be quite tight. That said, there is a saving provision whereby you can get an extra 12 months in which to meet the qualifying conditions:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

The information about the sc 475 visa is here:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

You would get the visitor level of Medicare automatically because you are British:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

The DIAC application fee for an sc 475 application is $2,105. It is not possible to do a free switch in the way that is possible between the subclass 175 and 176 because the subclass 475 visa is in a different Class. The first two are both in Class VE but the 475 is in Class VF. So there would be no way round the additional payment of another $2,105.

Your profile says that Hubby is a Roofer. Is that the occupation you have nominated for your sc 175 visa?

I think any sane agent will advise you as follows:

1. Forget about the idea of going to QLD on an sc 475 visa.

2. Switch to an sc 176 visa instead, sponsored by a different State. The following States are offering sc 176 sponsorship for Roof Slaters & Tilers:

• South Australia

• Victoria

• Australian Capital Territory

• West Australia

Out of these States, the ACT charge $275 for the application. None of the others apart from NSW charge for State Sponsorship applications (not yet, anyway.) More importantly, SA have announced that they will be publishing a new sc 176 List at 5pm Adelaide time on Tuesday 31st March and they have stated that some occupations on the current List will be removed from it. They say they will honour the existing List for all occupations where the application was with SA prior to 5pm on the 31st. So if you are going to apply to SA then you really MUST get your skates on because they might very well take Roofer off their 176 List next week, I suspect.

As yet WA have not said what their own plans are in the light of the new CSL. They had a State Migration pow-wow about it on the morning of Friday 20th March. Somebody working in the State Sponsorship section said she knew that the Group 4 skilled trades were on the Agenda for the meeting but since the meeting had not taken place by the time she mentioned this, obviously she had no idea what decisions would be made. There has been no post-meeting feedback from WA as yet.

VIC seem to have their own Lists under constant review and as far as I can see they are in general chaos and turmoil. There are allegations of a major Immigration fraud in Melbourne, allegedly involving Students who were studying for Group 4 occupations at the many colleges in Melbourne. Because of the alleged scam VIC have said that they will not consider applications for Group 4 occupations until the outcome of the DIAC fraud investigation is known. Which could take many months. I imagine that what VIC mean is that they will not consider Group 4 applications from people who have trained for them in Oz but I am not sure. Common sense is that offshore applicants who were trained offshore plainly aren't involved in the alleged scam. However all Australian Government departments parrot, "Our Policy is strictly non-discriminatory." VIC might have taken the view that discriminating against everyone with a Group 4 occupation is less discriminatory than discriminating against some of them only - VIC's logic is so strange that I would not put this past them. However you would have to phone them to find out what the score actually is (or your agent would have to.)

I've not heard of the ACT saying anything at all lately so I do not know what view they are going to take in the light of the new CSL.

The link to all of the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

If you feel able to pick one or more of the four on offer, the State's own website is the place to begin your research.

If it were me the choice would be WA or SA and I would probably make applications to both of those but not to the ACT or VIC. However the next person will undoubtedly say that s/he can't bear the thought of WA or SA but would be willing to compromise by applying to VIC and/or the ACT instead. It is such a personal decision that there is no right or wrong with it and I would not try to influence you between any of the 4. VIC and the ACT are both closer to QLD than the remaining two options.

I think what everyone has to grasp though is that the Minister has altered the whole philosophy of migration to Oz. A year ago the official Policy was "roll up and move to wherever you please." Minister Evans has turned that on to its head. His message is, "If you want a visa for Australia soon then the choiice is between the States which actually want your occupation, as shown on the various State Lists. If none of those destinations would suit you then you will not get a visa for Oz any time soon. Your choice."

By putting Roofer onto its 475 List QLD are saying that there are already more than enough Roofers in the immediate vicinity of Brisbane & Gold Coast Cities. They need Roofers further afield in the Regional parts of the State and they can insist on this via the 475 visa.

So Australia has changed its whole attitude to how migrants disperse once they reach Australia. The Minister is passionate about this idea because he targets it even more narrowly by putting employer-sponsorship at the top of his own list of Favourite Visas. As far as he is concerned a visa that sends a migrant to the very spot where he is needed (ie wherever his Aussie employer wants him to go) and which ensures that he will actually do the job he is skilled at once he arrives in Oz, and will ensure that he has a permanent job waiting for him in Oz before he even gets there is the perfect way to run Australia's migration program.

It is ONLY my hunch but for what it is worth, I am expecting to see Minister Evans become really strict about letting people pick & choose for themselves because that is not doing anything like as much as it should be doing towards solving Australia's localised skill shortage problems in some areas whilst protecting the jobs of the Aussies already doing these jobs in other areas. I think his logic is absolutely right. The $64,000 questions are:

• How much tweaking can he do? and

• How fast could he do it?

Because of this I agree with Sebbers, Kangaroo.Bruce and various others. If you have a PR visa for Oz then you are in your own decision-making loop about when to move to Oz and where to. If you do not have a visa and can't get one quickly because your occupation has been removed from all the State Lists then you do not have any choices at all except to sit, wait and hope for the eventual best.

What are your reasons for wanting QLD, Kelly? Do you have close family there?

Best wishes

Gill

Thankyou Gill, a very informative post & one which has given me much food for thought.

Yes, we have put down on our 175 visa that the skill is roof slating & tiling.

We do not have family or friends in Queensland, however after over a year of research, this is the state for us & I am so very reluctant to change that. I am worried that changing states, would leave us feeling unsettled & like we are not 'meant to be'...Add to that this is the biggest move of our lives, it could have the potential to make us unhappy.

I have tried to call my agent today, but she is not in the office until tommorow :arghh: I am seriously considering the 475 visa route, accepted that it will cost us extra money.

I realise that applications to Australia are sometimes very stressfull for people, but we came in just as pathways were being changed & NVQ's were no longer acceptable, we waited & waited for the 'new MAP'....Which was put back & put back, eventually suspended indefinately..... So my husband did his AQFIII...& finally we got to submitting our visa, then boom....Another huge set back. :sad:

Thanking you again for your advice, help & support

Kelly :0)

Well, we applied for the family sponsored 176 in March '08 & still have not heard anything yet. I do not want to get into the hassles of state sponsorship since I don't to be tied down to working with 1 state & probably give up better opportunities that may come across in the 2yrs.

Overall, I think it's good in a way that the current priority processing would take some time, since the job market, as I have heard from my brother in NSW, is not that great at the moment. My only worry is that the future legislation changes may boot our application out of the queue.

Although having said that, doesn't mean that we aren't anxious to start our new life down under. We are itching to go, & we know that someday we would end up in OZ one way or the other. Things work out when they have to, any amount of worrying would not change that at all....it's however "easier said than done". So good luck to everyone who is ready to take up this tremendously brave challenge of migrating.

Well we wre sticking to 175 but i'm now not sure. We have worked so hard doing this without an agent, we frontloaded meds and pc and just found out about form 80 so sent that off too. We thought it was time to just sit and wait and concentrate on selling the house. Our meds don't expire til end of Jan 2010 (even though we sent them off in Dec 08). We put our house on the market last Thursday and had a viewing on Sat. He is now coming back with his wife for a second viewing tomorrow. So should we wait or for 175 or change to 176 i just don't know. My hubby is a mechanic and i've just checked and he is on the Queensland list. Would they tell us where we had to live in Queensland or could we choose this ourselves? Is there much more paperwork involved? So confused now

I was like this at first....was sticking to 175, then wanted to change to 176, but we arent on list....:arghh:

If you look at the Queensland, work, live, play website, you will find lots of info about the sponsered visas

Good luck for a house sale

Guest Petra & Dave

We are sticking with our 175 MODL as Im not on the QLD state sponsored list and we dont wish to go to WA or SA as we had already decided that they were not the place for us and iIhave friends in the Brisbane area also we have to very good secureish jobs here in the UK and no job when we get out there so we are sitting back and waiting to see what happens and when or if the visa is granted do a reci trip to validate and see about a job and decide from there

Dave

Hi guys

Thanks for the help

Hi We applied in August (2008).

It seems like every1 is changing over to the 176 they are saying it will probebly take around 3+ months for them to be processed, if they are going to start looking at the 175 in july (in 4 month) is it realy worth changing over and spending the extra money.

like I said there are no jobs there anyway so whats the rush

Hi We applied in August (2008).

It seems like every1 is changing over to the 176 they are saying it will probebly take around 3+ months for them to be processed, if they are going to start looking at the 175 in july (in 4 month) is it realy worth changing over and spending the extra money.

like I said there are no jobs there anyway so whats the rush

In my opion it is worth changing to 176 & why state there are no jobs there as there clearly are if your skill is the one wanted I have had 3 job offers so jobs are there to be had.

Guest JK2510

We are sticking with the 175 route. It gives us more time to sort stuff out, like trying to sell a house in a non exsistant housing market. Visa lodged 03/03/09

In my opion it is worth changing to 176 & why state there are no jobs there as there clearly are if your skill is the one wanted I have had 3 job offers so jobs are there to be had.

You may well be right that its worth changing to a 176, however we cant....So we are just hoping that on a 175 we wont be kept waiting for too long..... :unsure:

Archived