What's wrong with a whinge

beach pig

What I mean is if you try and have a discussion about current affairs in the world with Aussies you get that glance like a rabbit stuck in car headlights.one recent example was the Oscar pistorious case no one at work new what was going on .why are they so insular,it's like some time warp .i'm alright jack I have the beach the fishing ,the surfing .what next .no one ever complains be it the duopoly of Coles and woolies or just everyday affairs .it reminds me of that time machine film where everyone was under a spell of when to eat and sleep.i mean the news channels are tilting on brain washing material.and do not tell me to FI Or FO that statements boring like here. Can you not take criticism tongue in cheek like I do when I get told how crap the uk is.i agree some parts of the uk are shite just like oz.if more of you got out and had a whinge things might change for the better.

I know what you're saying. People just don't worry or care about stuff that does not affect them. They'd rather talk about footy than the Ukrainian crisis.

What's wrong with that. The Ukranian crisis is terrible but I don't want to discuss it with anyone. I also don't give a stuff about Oscar Pistorious and whether he is guilty or not guilty. Do people stand around in the pub in the UK with their mates and discuss these things. I very much doubt it.

Probably not but its a ice breaker to make new friends.no wonder people on here are always looking for meet ups to speak to someone on the same wave length.look its already hard enough having a deep northern accent and trying to explain yourself twice.so after 7yrs I have come too the conclusion we don't fit in so we will eff off.

Probably not but its a ice breaker to make new friends.no wonder people on here are always looking for meet ups to speak to someone on the same wave length.look its already hard enough having a deep northern accent and trying to explain yourself twice.so after 7yrs I have come too the conclusion we don't fit in so we will eff off.

No need to piss off mate, I think it depends a lot on where you live, it's like me in the UK, I don't hav many mates, and depends on who I speak to I can sometimes have boring days, or days where I can't get my work done because of all the chit chat. I love a good whinging Pom really.

What's wrong with that. The Ukranian crisis is terrible but I don't want to discuss it with anyone. I also don't give a stuff about Oscar Pistorious and whether he is guilty or not guilty. Do people stand around in the pub in the UK with their mates and discuss these things. I very much doubt it.

Depends there are places I used to frequent in London where things mentioned above are indeed discussed. More so over in the continent. Rarely in Australia.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just different outlook I guess. I know when I was with friends in a quiet pub in England I would debate such things. When I'm in Australia I talk about local stuff.

Edited by jasepom

Guest Guest40285

See ya then

I think Aussies discuss ordinary stuff with people they are not friends with and save the serious stuff for people they know really well. Not a bad idea actually. Who wants to start arguing the toss with someone who is unfamiliar. Forums are for that :wink:

I have to agree with this. I would rather worry about home-grown problems, such as homelessness etc.,, than what's happening over in the Ukraine and whether or not someone's had a meltdown and killed someone. Not sure what people in pubs discuss as I don't go to them, but I do know that I don't spend my time talking about these things. Would much rather focus on things that perhaps I can help change, or help people out in some way.

I suppose I could offer some Ukrainians a place to stay........

I'm surprised it's taken you so long to come to that conclusion! However, don't assume all Australians are the same as the ones where you live (where do you live BTW?). I've lived in, or spent a fair bit of time in, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide and I've been able to have civilised conversations with Aussies in all those cities.

I'm surprised it's taken you so long to come to that conclusion! However, don't assume all Australians are the same as the ones where you live (where do you live BTW?). I've lived in, or spent a fair bit of time in, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide and I've been able to have civilised conversations with Aussies in all those cities.

Yep I worked at a University and they were very intelligent people working with me. They used to talk about all sorts of things but could get serious if you wanted a proper discussion.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just different outlook I guess. I know when I was with friends in a quiet pub in England I would debate such things. When I'm in Australia I talk about local stuff.
Are you serious!!! Am glad I never went on a nightout with you then - what fun that would be!

Guest Guest66881

World issues are important facts, that play on our day to day lives in so many ways.

Because people don't talk about them doesn't mean they don't care or are bothered does it, your opening comments and the Ffing off line reminded me of the bloke in the pub trying to gatecrash the group and everyone just carries on drinking and talking over him:laugh:

I know what you're saying. People just don't worry or care about stuff that does not affect them. They'd rather talk about footy than the Ukrainian crisis.

And why not? I've said to the missus about the Oscar Pistorious case that why does the whole world need to know or care about it? They've turned it into a TV event all because he's famous and she was good looking. No wonder Beach Pig got a few blank looks when he tried to discuss it, probably no one else gave a stuff.

That's all the media, especially womens magazines seem to care about now, gossip, who's shagging who, who's put weight on, who's lost weight. That's not current affairs, it's gossip.

I've found my aussie mates to be interested in a lot of things but I'm a bit older than beach pig I think, so my friends would be 40+. My 24 year old says I'm getting old when I have the news on and at 24 I would have been the same. Couldn't have cared less about what was happening in the rest of the World. Maybe beach pig hangs around with younger guys, could be an age thing rather than an Aussie thing.

There's been plenty of interest in the missing plane and if you're really stuck take an interest in AFL.:cool:

You're spot on. They would maybe be sat round talking about the EPL, who's going to win it, David Moye's getting sacked, the weather, game of darts anyone. Doubt if Oscar Pistorious would have come up.