Medical Before Submitting EOI?

lukescotty

Hey guys,

wondering if anyone knows if i can do my medical before I submit my EOI

I'm on borrowed time at the moment, everything is pretty much done in regards to submitting an EOI, just waiting on my Ielt Results (a week tomorrow) (lets hope I pass :S) so i can lodge an EOI

I'm a little bit unsure at the moment, any advice would be much appreciated, just trying to prevent any delays

Cheers Guys

Hi I lodged my visa 189 application on 16th July was advised by my case worker dealing with my visa paperwork not to go head until allocated a case worker for my visa application... Week 7 and still no case worker only valid for a year though so this may be the reason why ? Lodged my EOI on 29th June so I would already only have 10 months left on it .....

Good luck with IELTs I hated doing that...

Edited by Loulou

Yes, you can do your medicals at any time but since they are only valid for 12 months it may mean your Must Enter By date to validate the visa may be fairly soon after the visa is granted. Go through My Health Declarations on the DIBP website and it will generate the HAP ID. When you book the medical check and select the visa you're applying for, it will determine what tests are required.

I did mine first and front loaded everything as i was happy to go as soon as visa came through n wanted it quick...i ended up getting 189 visa granted 4 weeks from lodging application. ..I guess it's for ppl who r maybe already in aus or want visa quickly n are able to leave ASAP. ..not saying that all visas will b*done*that quick if everything front loaded that was just my experience

People have reported having trouble proceeding to lodge the application online if they have done medicals up front. And some have problems matching the two together.

Others downsides include: losing flexibility in validation date, having to retake medicals should processing take longer than expected, wasting money on medicals if there are other issues in the visa application or even if there is a change of mind!

Upsides pretty limited, maybe saving a week or two overall? No big deal.

On doing the medical before or after...it is upto you. There is no rule of thumb. I did mine after the EOI but it would be upto you. This is also the same for the police check. You just have to remember that you only have 12 months to enter the country from your point of getting medical or police check done whichever is up first. Eg. I did medical in Oct 2014, visa Granted Nov 2014. Had to set foot by Oct 2014. Did so in July this year just to get to activated.

Well there must b a need/reason for it or they wouldn't have introduced it..It wasn't around when I first started looking at visas...it suited me to do it this way rather than wait for them to be requested

It was possible to front load medicals in the past, certainly was when I applied in 2009 and it is possible now. But immigration recommend waiting until asked then and they still do now.

But it is a choice of course. If somebody is already in Australia the validation date doesn't matter and if somebody is happy to risk say £1,000 on medicals (for a family of four) that might need to be repeated or might be pointless if there is an issue with the rest of the application, then that is also a personal decision.

Just to clarify my thought a bit....I can understand why people do their medicals around the same time that they submit their applications, what I don't understand is why do a medical before you have even submitted an EOI? You aren't even applying at that point, it could be a few months before you get an invite. Rules could even change meaning you don't get an invite.....

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies! the reason why i want to do it now Nemesis & Bungo is because I'm already in australia and my HVW ends soon I already have a ticket booked home, and i will need to jump on a bridging visa B in order to leave the country and come back and continue the job I'm currently in. So every day counts in my eyes. I'm fed up of incompetent companies such as vetassess who you pay thousands to, delay the process because of stupid things like "we need a hard copy of your first aid certificate" nor do they email me or make a phone call to tell me this. Neither did they tell me when my assessment was, no email no phone call no letters, but they rang me up on the day and asked if i was lost.... (no i'm at work and no, vetassess didn't tell me) why not look ahead... send off for police reports... do the medicals... your only slowing yourself down. imagine waiting for a police report to be sent from the UK, because thats all you need.... I'm sure Royal Mail won't let you down *Cough*

I'm doing everything possible in order for me say "did i do everything I could?' hopefully yes, whether I get the visa in time or not.

Who really wants to go back to England and wait in the freezing cold, miserable country, waiting for a visa to be granted. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't!

Kind Regards

Luke

They are expensive! At £300 a pop I would wait until they are requested, you should be able to get an appointment and results within a couple of weeks but then you have a year to enter Australia, you never know how long it will take to get an invite so I wouldn't worry about medicals yet, rather concentrate on everything else is right for your EOI and visa submission :-)

waiting weeks isn't good enough for me, I have days to spare between deadlines and i'm already in Australia if you'd not previously read my reply

regards

I take your point on being in the country already. But the medical doesn't come into your days to spare, it is perfectly legitimate to do the medical when asked, it doesn't have to be done up front and won't impact your days to spare.

• 2 weeks later...
I did mine first and front loaded everything as i was happy to go as soon as visa came through n wanted it quick...i ended up getting 189 visa granted 4 weeks from lodging application. ..I guess it's for ppl who r maybe already in aus or want visa quickly n are able to leave ASAP. ..not saying that all visas will b*done*that quick if everything front loaded that was just my experience

Hi Lorna,

I was wondering if you could help me! I am getting a bit confused about lodging the 189 visa. We are currently waiting for our EOI to come back but I'd like to organise the health checks asap and also start uploading documents. Where do you process the visa application and start uploading the documents? Is it through SkillSelect or ImmiAccount? We have tight time line so would like to be as organised as I can be! Thanks in advance!

hannah