Is the IELTS test really as hard as it seems?

Dan Jade

Hello, My partner has his IELTs test booked for the 6th Dec, being a Tradesman he isn't very confident with his reading/ writing.....& we have been doing ALOT of example tests etc to try and ease him into the test process......But he is now panicking about the IELTS & that he is going to fail....

We need him to score 8's in each section of the tests, being an Englishman, he should be ok with speaking and listening he is just worried about the reading/ writing.

Has anyone recently completed the IELT's and can give me an honest answer on how it really is?

Cheers in advance guys :)

I needed all 8's for my points and went into it without any prior knowledge of format, questions... well without any knowledge of IELTS. Needless to say, it never went as planned. It wasn't hard, I was just foolish and should have done some preparation. I basically just threw away the £140 fee. I then went and did several practice tests so I knew what to expect and I was fine and got the results I needed.

The listening part was what got me. They only play it once and if you lose your place, it is tricky to try and catch up. That is where I bombed out.

Reading is fairly straight forward but to get high marks you need to get nearly everything correct. the different between a 9 and a 6 is about 10 marks out of 40 I think.

Writing is again quite easy. You have a basic essay which requires you to write about a topic they give you and then a longer letter.

The speaking was the easiest for me. It is just a conversation about various arbitrary points. I can literally talk the hind leg off a donkey so it was a breeze.

I failed (to get all 8's) because I am English and just assumed I could walk in and be OK. If your partner has prepared, he should be fine. The hardest part was section 3 of listening.

That sounds like us, my oh is dreading it and I'm panicking that he's not going to get the 8's. He's a painter and decorator. He won't let me book the test yet and it's frustrating me. The worst bit is its out of my control if it was me doing it I'd be practising and getting on with it :\

I strongly suggest you revise, do practise tests and purely learn to write in the way THEY want you to right. You can be an English Literature god and still balls it up purely because it's not how they want you to write, for example using "the" in the correct place etc etc!

I was a little naive when I took my first exam and assumed as a Brit I'd fly through - boy was I wrong!! Concentrate and listen, don't panic though! You should nail the speaking if you've lived here your entire life! 9/9 is what most people get!

P.S. If you want IELTS learning material - Youtube is great, and there are plenty of reading papers/writing questions if you do a quick google. Best of luck!

Edited by Jack91

This is an automated email.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Call for submissions

Timing for the introduction of English language standards for RMAs

Dear agent,

Registered Migration Agents interpret complex legislation, prepare detailed submissions on behalf of their clients and represent them in a wide variety of situations. High level English language skills are a necessary pre-requisite for this.

Initial applicants for registration have been required to have a minimum level of English for some years. However, while the level required is higher now than in the past, it still does not involve everyone having to meet a formally recognised minimum standard. This has led to criticism of the profession at times and few Registered Migration Agents are able to point to having passed a formal English test.

Overseas moves to introduce formal standards in Canada (IELTS 7.0) and New Zealand (introducing a similar requirement) have focused attention on the Australian registration system, which has long been a world leader. The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act could soon lead to automatic recognition of Australian registered agents by New Zealand authorities and it is important to ensure that the reputation of the Australian migration profession is not diminished in any comparison.

It has therefore been decided to formalise the English standard placed on Australia's Registered Migration Agents as soon as is practicable. A minimum standard that is equivalent to a minimum overall IELTS Academic band score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 6.5 in each module - reading, listening, speaking and writing) is to be adopted. This is consistent with the standard set in many other professions in Australia and with that being set in the migration advice profession overseas.

The start date for this requirement needs to be set. Initial thoughts are to ensure that new entrants to the profession meet this standard from mid 2009 by being required to sit an IELTS test (or a benchmarked MARA approved equivalent) as part of their initial registration. Similarly, existing Registered Migration Agents would be required to do this as a "one-off" part of their re-registration. This might be from 2010 although there should be a good opportunity given to any existing agents who did not meet the standard to remain registered for a period while they lift the standard of their English to the required level.

If the experience in other professions that have gone this route is any guide, few professional people should have difficulty in demonstrating that they meet the standard although some may feel the "one off" need to sit a test inconvenient or consider it pointless because they "obviously have high level English skills". The lasting benefits in relation to standing, for the profession as a whole and its individual members should outweigh any inconvenience or cost involved.

The views of the migration advice profession and other stakeholders are sought on the timing for the introduction of the new requirement. Please send your views to submissions@mara.com.au by 28 September 2008.

Regards

Bernie Waters

Chief Executive Officer

re the above. I started to correct it and gave up.

Call for submissions

Timing for the introduction of English language standards for RMAs

Dear agent,

Registered Migration Agents interpret complex legislation, prepare detailed submissions on behalf of their clients and represent them in a wide variety of situations. High level High-level English language skills are a necessary* pre-requisite prerequisite for this.

For some years Initial initial applicants for registration have been required to have a minimum level of English for some years. However (Is this necessary?), while the level required is higher now than in the past, it still does not involve everyone having to meet a formally recognised minimum standard. This has led to criticism of the profession at times and few Registered Migration Agents are able to point to having passed a formal English test.

Overseas moves to introduce formal standards in Canada (IELTS 7.0) and New Zealand (introducing a similar requirement) have focused attention on the Australian registration system, which has long been a world leader. The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act could soon lead to automatic recognition of Australian registered agents by New Zealand authorities and it is important to ensure that the reputation of the Australian migration profession is not diminished in any comparison.

It has therefore been decided to formalise the English standard placed on Australia's Registered Migration Agents as soon as is** practicable ***. A minimum standard that is equivalent to a minimum overall IELTS Academic band score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 6.5 in each module - reading, listening, speaking and writing) is to be adopted. This is consistent with the standard set in many other professions in Australia and with that being set in the migration advice profession overseas.

The start date for this requirement needs to be set. Initial thoughts are to ensure that new entrants to the profession meet this standard from mid 2009 mid-2009 by being required to sit an IELTS test (or a benchmarked MARA-approved equivalent) as part of their initial registration. Similarly, (delete) existing Registered Migration Agents would be required to do this as a "one-off" (once) as part of their re-registration. This might be from 2010 although there should be a good opportunity given to any existing agents who did (tense) not meet the standard to remain registered for a period while they lift the standard of their English to the required level. (or lower it)

If the experience in other professions that have gone this route (delete)is any guide, few professional people should have difficulty in (delete)demonstrating that they meet the standard although some may feel the "one off" (delete) need to sit a test inconvenient or consider it pointless because they "obviously have high level English skills". The lasting benefits in relation to standing, for the profession as a whole and its individual members should outweigh any inconvenience or cost involved.

The views of the migration advice profession and other stakeholders are sought on the timing for the introduction of the new requirement. Please send your views to submissions@mara.com.au by 28 September 2008.

Regards

Bernie Waters

Chief Executive Officer

*Prerequisites are always necessary

As usual you are going to do whatever you are going to do and attempts to justify your actions are a waste of words. You might have written:

[h=2]From mid-2009 applicants for initial MARA registration must have an IELTS band score of at least 7 with a minimum grade of at least 6.5 in each sub-test, or an equivalent grade in an alternative MARA-approved test. From a date to be decided registered migration agents must satisfy this requirement as a condition of their next re-registration.[/h][h=2]There will be an opportunity for agents to remain registered while they improve their English.[/h][h=2]Submissions about a date for the introduction of testing for registered migration agents are invited.[/h]or similar, with perhaps a mention of how current the IELTS certificate will have to be.

By the way:

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

[h=3]Westly Russell[/h]

[h=1][/h][h=1][/h][h=1][/h][h=1][/h][h=1][/h][h=1]Packer scores in test of English[/h]Elisabeth Wynhausen | August 23, 2008

EVERY time computer engineer Faisal Shaikh failed his English test -- as he did four times -- James Packer was a little richer.

Mr Packer is the non-executive chairman of a company that profits each time someone sits the sole English language proficiency test for visa applicants accepted by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

The International English Language Testing System is the most widely used English language proficiency test in the world. But migration agents say Immigration guidelines mean most people fail it at least once, forcing them to sit for it again, for another $280.

"The problem is that you generally have to get a score of at least six out of nine in each of four bands -- reading, writing, speaking and listening," said migration agent Mark Glazbrook.

While universities permit test candidates to average out their results, as long as they reach a minimum score of six, the department refuses to allow visa applicants do so. "This is nice for IELTS as it means that more people are required to re-sit the test," Mr Glazbrook said.

More than 100,000 visa applicants a year sit for the IELTS test, he said. Reportedly worth $250million a year globally, the test is owned by IELTS Australia, the British Council and Cambridge University. IELTS Australia is owned by IDP Education, a company jointly owned by 38 Australian universities and Seek, the online employment outfit in which Mr Packer has an interest.

IELTS did not set a pass or fail mark, a spokesman said. "Each organisation using the IELTS test sets the level to meet their individual requirements."

Alex Barthel, director of the academic language and learning unit at the University of Technology Sydney, said: "The IELTS test gives a fairly accurate measurement at a particular point in time ... and , as far as I know, does this relatively more accurately and consistently than other major language tests which rely more on multiple choice answers."

That was not the experience of Mohammed Qasam, 30, who did a degree in banking and finance in Jordan, his homeland, using English-language text books. A masters student in accounting at UTS, Mr Qasam lectures in the subject at the Macquarie Institute.

But when he sat the IELTS test, his scores in reading and writing fluctuated each time he did it. "There's not enough time to read," he said in fluent English.

Sydney migration agent Jonathan Granger agreed that the test was proving difficult. "Ninety per cent of all the clients I've lodged a visa application for haven't got the required score -- and this includes postgraduates," he said.

My husband is a painter/decorator too and is doing his ielts this Saturday. He has been practising but it's mainly the reading/listening he has practised, the writing is hard to know as it's hard to know how they expect things to be written. It's his first attempt and like you, needs 8's if possible, so I will let you know how he gets on when we get his results.

Good luck, I think my oh will find the writing the hardest as he writes in capitals and doesn't use a lot of grammar :( x

Hi, like the others have said, he needs to practice as much as he possibly can. I had to get 8's but in the Academic Test. After 4 attempts I finally passed! and thats after studying 3 years at Uni for my degree. The speaking he shouldnt have a problem with, very relaxed informal chat, the listening is straight fwd as long as hes listening carefully, the reading in the ACADEMIC was horrid, and the writing if hes not brilliant at would benefit him to do some practice papers. Good luck with it

... being a Tradesman he isn't very confident with his reading/ writing...We need him to score 8's in each section of the tests,

Which trade demands all 8's?

Anyway, as most people have pointed out, you don't just get waived through because you're English. You still have to demonstrate competency. Many people flounder simply because they've gotten out of the habit of doing tests. Sitting down for 3 hours and concentrating is a new experience.

I strongly suggest you revise, do practise tests and purely learn to write in the way THEY want you to right. You can be an English Literature god and still balls it up purely because it's not how they want you to write, for example using "the" in the correct place etc etc!

I was a little naive when I took my first exam and assumed as a Brit I'd fly through - boy was I wrong!! Concentrate and listen, don't panic though! You should nail the speaking if you've lived here your entire life! 9/9 is what most people get!

P.S. If you want IELTS learning material - Youtube is great, and there are plenty of reading papers/writing questions if you do a quick google. Best of luck!

Luckily I never had to take IELTS - it looks very tricky - But the advice here seems spot on - forget any natural instincts and play the game, obey the rules and do as you're told. Practice, practice,practice... and look at YouTube Sounds silly, years ago I took a UK civil service graduate entry program with tests in English, maths and IT - I consider myself a pretty proficient user of English, and whizzed through the paper, concentrating on the maths and IT which were loads trickier - did really well in maths and IT and failed English! Lesson I learned was not to assume natural capability would tide me over.....

It is lucky this wasn't about when we applied as my hubby would have stood little chance of passing.

Writing is hard for him, spelling more so,,, however this hasn't affected his skills or his ability to be a blooming good tradesman in this country and to top it off he even teaches to Aussie tradesmen to bring them up to spec in the trade ,,lol..

To me IELTS is just a money maker.

Cal x

The IELTS exam is not a walk in the park. No native English speaker should assume it's a given.

My advice is to do the practice tests on the IELTS wesbite, this really prepares you for what to expect.

Hello, My partner has his IELTs test booked for the 6th Dec, being a Tradesman he isn't very confident with his reading/ writing.....& we have been doing ALOT of example tests etc to try and ease him into the test process......But he is now panicking about the IELTS & that he is going to fail....

We need him to score 8's in each section of the tests, being an Englishman, he should be ok with speaking and listening he is just worried about the reading/ writing.

Has anyone recently completed the IELT's and can give me an honest answer on how it really is?

Cheers in advance guys :)

I did my IELTS test last month and got 8.5 overall...I practised a fair amount so I knew what the format would be like and what to expect etc. The biggest tip I would give (particularly for the writing section) is use a pencil - that way you can rub out any mistakes, for some reason I used a pen so had to cross things out but still managed to get an 8 in writing so try and relax about it!!!! I genuinely think they just want to make sure you can write a structured paragraph - it doesn't need big fancy words, it just needs to be clear and have direction!! Keep practicing, use a pencil and try not to worry to much!!!!

Good luck!!!

I genuinely think they just want to make sure you can write a structured paragraph - it doesn't need big fancy words, it just needs to be clear and have direction!!

Absolutely, but this can be a major issue for some people. Most of what they write in everyday life consists of "SMS-speak". They might have dismissed previous attempts to improve their grammar as unnecessary. Then the IELTS test looms large, and rather than seeing it as an opportunity to demonstrate their competency, they get a bit intimidated. Imagine how it must be for non-native English speakers. Although the IELTS test is pricey, at least it's run quite professionally and it's the same standard across the globe.

I went and saw an IELTS tutor you can find them on tutor hunt website, He used to be an IELTS marker and he gave me some great advice on what they look for with the writing such as don't repeat a word in a sentence etc, and how to do scimming and scanning in the reading part to find the answers you are looking for. I have a GCSE B grade and even though I felt confident if I hadn't have seen the tutor I don't think I would have got the scores I did. I got W8 L8 S8 R7. There are different formats for the reading part which they change so this is the most difficult to practice for as you don't know which one you will get. Luckily I only needed 7's for our application. But would definitely recommend seeing a tutor for the tips they can give you, as you can do as much practice as you want but if your doing it wrong, or there is an easier way to help you then they can tell you.

good luck

Callie x

I got listening 8 reading 7 writing 6.5 and speaking 9. I am a native from the UK. I did have some one to one tuition and recommend doing this for tips they give. I am going to practice and keep practicing - test is January 10th. I also recommend the IELTS website and ensure you start to time yourself.

I done the academic. .. got 9.0, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0

Done a few practice tests in the week before... I needed 8 ' s and was glad I got them.

Writing is definitely the hardest but preparation is needed just to know the format.

My wife is a non native so needed to prove functional english... 2 hours practice and she got 5.5's across the board so it shouldn't be too difficult to get 7 ' s for a native.