Is it me or is Australian bacon weird?

Guest lol1984

Guest lol1984

The bacon I've tried from the supermarket is unlike anything I saw in the UK. The bacon appears to be cooked (not just cured or smoked like UK bacon), and it comes in horrible vacuum packs that as well as bacon also seem to contain some kind of gelatinous goo! Can anyone recommend a brand that is a bit more akin to what pommy bacon is like?

Before you say it, no I haven't been to the butcher yet. That's on my to-do list this weekend. Or at least it was until I volunteered to work this saturday....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to Coles in the chiller and get the English style bacon!

LOL, shows how we are different as i thought that was one of the poorer tasting ones we have tried. I have just come to the conclusion im not going to find a perfect replacement,, a bit like with the sausages,lol

Cal x

Guest juliemtaylor

Cal, that is advice from a friend.. To be honest I have no problem with any of the bacon here, especially when done on the barbie!

Julie x

The bacon is cured differently here, hence the "cooked" look.

In my experience the stuff from the supermarkets is awful, even from the deli counters, pumped full of water and just doesn't brown properly.

I've started to get mine from a butchers at the central markets, and have since stopped feeling slightly disappointed and homesick every time I cook bacon. The stuff from the butchers still has the "cooked" look when it's raw, but once cooked you can't really tell the difference between it and thick sliced UK bacon.

Buy from a deli or butchers and it's much better, packet stuff isn't as bad here as in the UK, so not sure where you've bought yours, ours has all been brilliant. And so long as you don't buy 'BBQ sausages' they're good - especially from decent butchers.

And I'm trying very hard to avoid responding to the stupid comment about Canada - Norwegian folklore is rising again I think (or maybe I'm just being intolerant today...)

Bacon and Sausages why do we eat them when we know they are bad for us. I am different I like the sausages here and don't like the UK ones. Sausages have to have certain amounts of ingredients in them here. I also do not like the white stuff in the bacon. Water. That said I picked up some bacon in the supermarket yesterday and its said "no imported ingredients" and its awful, too much fat for me. So freezer and rubbish bin and back to middle cut.

Bacon and Sausages why do we eat them when we know they are bad for us. I am different I like the sausages here and don't like the UK ones. Sausages have to have certain amounts of ingredients in them here. I also do not like the white stuff in the bacon. Water. That said I picked up some bacon in the supermarket yesterday and its said "no imported ingredients" and its awful, too much fat for me. So freezer and rubbish bin and back to middle cut.

You like the snags in Oz :eek:

The bacon I've tried from the supermarket is unlike anything I saw in the UK. The bacon appears to be cooked (not just cured or smoked like UK bacon), and it comes in horrible vacuum packs that as well as bacon also seem to contain some kind of gelatinous goo! Can anyone recommend a brand that is a bit more akin to what pommy bacon is like?

Before you say it, no I haven't been to the butcher yet. That's on my to-do list this weekend. Or at least it was until I volunteered to work this saturday....

absolutely agree, it's all hard and precooked. Have not been able to find decent 'proper' bacon anywhere. Same goes for sausages which are all like hard frankfurters, despite some looking exactly like 'proper' sausages, they aren't!

I work for an independant butcher,the sausage he makes are spot on but he does make them gluton free,so no added rusk etc.

Agree about the bacon,apparently if its not cooked (smoked) its called pickled. His words just today... "In the 26 years I have been butchering I have never heard of ham that is not smoked,it isnt ham until its smoked,its pickled pork".

So,ham is not ham unless smoked. It is pickled pork.

Therefore (although I have not cooked one yet) if you get a joint of pickled leg of pork and boil it or roast it you should have boiled/roast ham. NOT RUDDY SMOKED!! :err:

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pomgoddress

I came across some uncured bacon at a farmers market the other day. It was not cheap and I don't eat bacon any more but it is the first time I have seen it in Australia ever.

• 1 month later...