China Southern

MattD

• 1 month later...

Just did a family trip from Sydney to Guangzhou on China Southern, my parents use it on the Paris to Guangzhou leg and we meet family in the middle. (Incidentally you can now get a 72 hour visitor VISA included for Guangzhou, well worth it to blow your mind and far easier then having to get a proper standard VISA through normal routes).

Modern planes, A380 coming back, pretty much on time.

Guangzhou airport is an awful lot better than it used to be, it used to be a very dreary, lonesome place for stopovers but like the rest of the country they've spent billions on getting it up to scratch and it's excellent.

The only bad thing I'd day is that the economy seats were the most uncomfortable I've sat in since Ryanair, rock hard narrow seats but slightly tipped backwards, not like the bouncy seats you get on Emirates or Singapore. All the pressure goes on your tailbone and after about 5 hours I was numb and stiff, ended up sitting on the blanket with the air pillow stuffed behind me. On the return leg i'd taken a few Nurofen in preparation so it wasn't so bad, but i spent a lot of time walking round.

The Chinese like hard seats and very hard mattresses, so maybe it suits how they're conditioned.

Also, they codeshare with Air France so if you can get them on the European leg then the seats and food are better.

Just did a family trip from Sydney to Guangzhou on China Southern, my parents use it on the Paris to Guangzhou leg and we meet family in the middle. (Incidentally you can now get a 72 hour visitor VISA included for Guangzhou, well worth it to blow your mind and far easier then having to get a proper standard VISA through normal routes).

Just to be clear, the 72 hour visa is a TRANSIT visa and your onward travel must be to a third country...so you couldn't use it for example to do SYD-CAN-SYD with less than 72 hours in CAN.