Shipping plants

sarah2603

Isn't that all for cut flowers and foliage though? Stuff for flower shops and that sort of thing it reads like.

I can't see anything about plants. Or anything from the list AQIS have

'all potted/bare rooted plants, cuttings, roots, bulbs, corms, stems and other viable plant material'

'

is considered a no go for personal import according to the AQIS site.

All I know is that when we looked into it we could have the option to have the roots Chlorinated/Low Radiation

Typically I cannot find the correct page as she has filed it away somewhere - but we are pinning our hopes on that as a possibility.

I will try and dig out the correct info later when she finally gets home - could be that we are barking up the wrong tree.

All I know is that when we looked into it we could have the option to have the roots Chlorinated/Low Radiation

Typically I cannot find the correct page as she has filed it away somewhere - but we are pinning our hopes on that as a possibility.

I will try and dig out the correct info later when she finally gets home - could be that we are barking up the wrong tree.

I wouldn't like to say yes for sure on that. From everything I've read, I'm more inclined to think no :( TBH everything I've ever read on importing plants, bulbs and so on is a no for personal import. Perhaps for one single plant like this if it is allowable to import its worth it, but cost wise reading all their treatment stuff, its an expensive thing for lots.

I know the rose has special meaning, but if you can't bring it, perhaps you could plant it somewhere where it will still be cared for by people you know or something?

You could risk a rose cutting in your luggage and declare it I guess.

The OP was on about large pot plants I think. We too have some great ones but they can't be shipped. Soil is not permitted and anyway they most likely wouldn't survive the journey locked into a container for at least 10 weeks probably longer. Any moisture would evaporate and probably make other goods mouldy too.

Find them good homes or sell them. Then start again.

We have done this twice now - (ping ponging) and contemplating my 10 foot tall and bushy Yucca at the moment which might just go with the house!!

I seriously doubt you can bring in plants even if they survive the journey (at least 6 weeks in a container). You cannot bring an apple into the country! There are restrictions on bringing plants from one part of Australia to another so I think you would be better to give them away or give cuttings to family and friends.

I watched a programme on TV (Nothing to Declare - Australian border control) and in one episode a person was bring in orchids on their flight having purchased them abroad. They weren't instantly disallowed, the officals had to look for them on their computers to see if they were banned, and then inspected the substance the roots were in (some form of gel). They were eventually allowed in, but he only got them a few days later after they'd been fully examined by quarantine.

It may be an old programme and rules have changed, but it implied that live plants which were not considered a threat to Australia (or Australia already had that species within its boundaries) would be allowed in if they were suitably free of any illness or infestation.

Your best bet would be to email AQIS directly (there's a 'contact us' on their website) and provide them with the details of the plants (including full botanical name). If they respond positively then the next question to ask them would be about permits and the procedure for fumigating / packing for shipping.

Hope this helps

P

Hi guys

I've got loads of plants which I'm very reluctant to give up, especially as some of them are really big by now... :(

Does anybody know if it's possible to ship them over?

Thanks,

Sarah

Here is an example of the hoops that plant nurseries have to go through to import roses for commercial purposes - including growing in quarantine for months before and after importation.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?

intNodeId=8669995&intCommodityId=25375&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

There would be similar conditions for all plants imported.

Besides, how would your plants be watered and have access to light while they were being shipped?

(Commercial importers import by air, but that is very expensive).

And, depending on where you are settling, they may not survive anyway because the conditions may be so different.

Archived