Medicare - whats covered??

emfitz

Hi all,

I would be greatful for some personal opinions on Medicare. The whole thing confuses me. Whats covered and is it just the same as having Health Insurance?

I've been in Oz almost 15 months now, alomost 10months on 457 visa. We got Health Insurance with BUPA for the visa and have been paying about $170/mth for the basic since then.

However I had some medical bills come up and pretty pricey too but they wont even let me claim until I can prove they weren't pre-existing because a it was within the first year of policy.

Then another day i ended up in A&E and the bill was completely covered with the reciprocal health agreement. delighted I was!!!

Really I'm wondering is there any difference if I cancel health Ins and sign up for medicare???! Other than saving my $170/mth.

Any info appreciated :biggrin:

Turns out We Irish dont get it.. Thanks for your help!

My very vague understanding is there's a different reciprocal health agreement for Ireland to the one for the UK, so it kind of depends on where you're from. May be worth researching further before ditching the health insurance :-)

Irish passport on a 457 you are only entitled to necessaries hospital eg, pregnancy, Heart attack etc. All visits to doctor you have to pay yourself. You can't register for medicare until you apply for PR but once you have made an application you can register.

Thanks Shelly,

Just the answer I needed...

Such a pian because I've been to quite a few docs/physios of late and they look at me as if not having medicare is a sin...

I got landed with a $700 bill last yr and health ins wont cover cos I cant prove it wasnt pre existing!!!

Guest haunted1234

not sure if Ireland is different....we are on 457 visa and have medicare (reciprocal cover) it covers my Pernicious Anaemia (existing condition) need vitamin B12 Jabs every 3 months.....pay up front get 65 % back.....we're currently paying £458 a month on Medibank for top 85....think id be better off just saving that every month!

You can use your passport to get a Visitor medicare card - this will allow you to get free GP visits at Bulk Billing doctors (at least it did me) and will also get you emergency necessary treatment in hospitals. Without the Medicare card you'll have more difficulty getting treatment without paying.

But not if you are Irish (which the OP is)..

"As a resident of the Republic of Ireland ......

You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card."

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

But not if you are Irish (which the OP is)..

"As a resident of the Republic of Ireland ......

You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card."

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Fair enough - I thought the OP had said he/she was given reciprocal care. But since my post is wrong I will delete it.

Hi guys slightly different question but still on the same subject.

Just been to the docs and I need an operation. Getting out to Oz end of April so can't get it done on NHS. Have had a private quote of £3700 about $5500. Now I am getting medicare through the company I'm working for but as previously started, this is going to be a pre existing condition.

Is it worth getting it done here before I go? Not sure if I can just pay for an op in Oz or how much it will cost me?

Cheers for any advice,

Shinner

Just to clear something up, seems there's confusion. Medicare is Australia's Government run health care system, like the NHS, which the majority of Australia have access to and pay for by being taxed in their earnings. They don't have pre-existing condition rules in place. However, Private Health companies DO have pre-existing condition rules in place, some are Medibank, HBF, Bupa, etc.

Maybe it's the names Medicare and Medibank causing confusion.

Hi guys slightly different question but still on the same subject.

Just been to the docs and I need an operation. Getting out to Oz end of April so can't get it done on NHS. Have had a private quote of £3700 about $5500. Now I am getting medicare through the company I'm working for but as previously started, this is going to be a pre existing condition.

Is it worth getting it done here before I go? Not sure if I can just pay for an op in Oz or how much it will cost me?

Cheers for any advice,

Shinner

Get it done in the UK if you can. Like you said once in Aus your insurer will class it as pre existing and you will only be covered by Medicare if it's basically an emergency, other than that you will go on an elective surgery waiting list which could be as long as a piece of string

Hi Shelly

do you know on a UK passport what kind of reciprocal Medicare you'd be entitled to on a 475 temp skilled sponsored visa (not the 457 ....confusion). We've got 3 wee ones under school age, and may have to try for 475 , but apprehensive with the wee ones

Thanks

From DIAC's webssite.

Generally, temporary visa holders do not have access to Medicare. Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa holders from countries with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement will have restricted access to Medicare. People without access to Medicare are responsible for all health costs incurred in Australia. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you arrange suitable private health insurance. You may be able to lodge your application for private health insurance before you arrive in Australia. However, you should also be aware that health funds impose a waiting period before a contributor is eligible for some health fund benefits and pre–existing health conditions may not be covered.

From Medicare's website.

Reciprocal health care agreements cover treatment that is medically necessary. Medically necessary treatment means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home.

As a resident of one of the UK you are entitled to the following for any ill-health or injury requiring treatment while in Australia:

• free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient in a public hospital
  • subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
  • Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital medical treatment provided by doctors through private surgeries and community health centres.

[h=2]Enrolling in Medicare[/h]If you will be receiving treatment you can enrol at Medicare offices throughout Australia. If you receive treatment before you enrol, Medicare benefits will be back paid for eligible visitors.

To enrol in Medicare you will need:

• your passport with a valid visa
  • to provide, in some cases, identification showing you are enrolled in your country’s national health scheme.

If your application to enrol in Medicare is approved, you will receive an Australian reciprocal health care card in the mail.

[h=2]Treatment outside a hospital[/h]You can receive medical treatment through private doctors’ surgeries and community health centres. Doctors at these practices charge for their services in one of the following ways:

[h=3]The doctor bills Medicare directly[/h]You will be asked to show your reciprocal health care card and sign a completed Medicare bulk bill form after seeing the doctor. You will not need to pay anything and will not need to make a claim from Medicare. Please note that not all Australian doctors in private practice bulk bill.

[h=3]The doctor gives you a bill[/h]Doctors who do not bulk bill will require you to pay the amount at the time of consultation. In this case you can pay the full bill on the spot or lodge the unpaid bill with Medicare.

To pay the full bill on the spot you can:

• claim back your benefit in person at a Medicare office
  • send a completed Medicare claim form, the original doctor’s bill and your receipt for the full amount of the bill to Medicare (GPO Box 9822 in your capital city). Medicare will post a cheque to your last registered address made payable to you to cover Medicare’s portion of the bill
  • have your claim processed electronically from your doctor’s practice and have your benefit paid directly into your bank or credit union account by electronic funds transfer, where available.

To lodge your unpaid bill you need to:

• take the unpaid bill together with a completed claim form to a Medicare office, or send it to Medicare by mail to the address shown below. Medicare will send a cheque to your address made payable to the doctor.
  • you will be required to take the cheque to your doctor and pay the difference between the Medicare benefit and the total fee charged by the doctor.

[h=3]Hospital treatment[/h]If you are treated as a public patient in a public hospital for medically necessary treatment, the treatment is free. Simply show your passport or reciprocal health care card to staff when you arrive at the hospital.

If you elect to be treated as a private patient in a public hospital or as a private patient in a private hospital for medically necessary treatment, you will be charged for both medical treatment and accommodation. These fees cannot be claimed from Medicare.

[h=2]Medical services not covered by Medicare[/h]Medicare will not cover:

• medicines not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
  • dental work and allied health services
  • treatment arranged before your visit to Australia
  • accommodation and medical treatment in a private hospital
  • accommodation and medical treatment as a private patient in a public hospital.

Ancillary services not covered

Medicare does not cover such things as:

• private patient hospital costs (for example, theatre fees or accommodation)
  • dental examinations and treatment (except specified items introduced for allied health services as part of the Chronic Disease Management (CDM) program
  • ambulance services
  • home nursing
  • physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, eye therapy, chiropractic services, podiatry or psychology (except specified items introduced for allied health services as part of the Chronic Disease Management (CDM) program
  • acupuncture (unless part of a doctor's consultation)
  • glasses and contact lenses
  • hearing aids and other appliances
  • the cost of prostheses
  • medical costs for which someone else is responsible (for example a compensation insurer, an employer, a government or government authority)
  • medical services which are not clinically necessary
  • surgery solely for cosmetic reasons
  • examinations for life insurance, superannuation or membership of a friendly society
  • eye therapy

You can arrange private health insurance to cover many of these services.

[h=2]For more information[/h][h=3]Contact details[/h]Phone: 132 011

Thanks Tisme, thought you were clearing things up for me till I had a look at the medical forms my doc has to fill in and they are all for medibank.

Think I will wait till I get out there. The worst that can happen is I pay for it out there.

Cheers for the advice,

Shinner

Archived