Partner Visa - Citizenship papers necessary ?

yakkay

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please advise.....I am putting together the paperwork for my 309/100 visa application and would like to find out if we need to provide my partner's (she's the australian one !! ) citizenship papers ? I know we will need her birth certificate and australiain passport, but am unsure if we must also prove her citizenship.....

any ideas ? Thanks.

Doesn't the birth certificate and passport do that anyway.

Do Aussies born and bred have such things, as a Brit I only have my passport and birth certificate to prove my citizenship as it was automatic by birth. Different if you have had to apply for it though.

yes, I see your point, but her birth cert is actually british as she was born here and then her parents emmigrated when she was 2 - she has her citizenship on the botttom of her mum's papers.

maybe I'm thinking too hard about all this - paperwork is doing my nut in !!

Just send in a certified copy of what you have, if they need more, they'll ask for it. I'm the aussie one in our relationship, and gave them our Marriage cert, my passport & birth cert. I only sent our application off this morning, so now have to wait and see what happens :) glad its done now though, I can sit back and hopefully relax now!

We thought the same that the Passport would be enough but our CO requested my hubbies Citizenship certificate, which we sent.

Dont know if they were a jobs worth or of its a case of if you have one you must send it and they knew he had been issued one recent to the application!

We thought the same that the Passport would be enough but our CO requested my hubbies Citizenship certificate, which we sent.

Dont know if they were a jobs worth or of its a case of if you have one you must send it and they knew he had been issued one recent to the application!

Thanks for that - think I'll make sure I pop that in anyway now then, rather than leave them anything to chase me up for needing later.

Guest Chantel

Hello, :cute:

Glad to see a thread that relates to my situation as well.

I would send all 3 as it will save time if they do want to see it all.

I am the Australian in my marriage, how's everyone finding the process? we are just starting ours. Has anyone considered going with their spouse on a visitor visa first to check things out and then applying for them to stay if they like it? Just an idea, not sure if it's the best way though yet, still in thinking mode!

All the best everyone!

Chantel

Guest GeorgeD
Has anyone considered going with their spouse on a visitor visa first to check things out and then applying for them to stay if they like it? Just an idea, not sure if it's the best way though yet, still in thinking mode!

Some people do it that way. the drawback is that the application fee is more expensive and the processing time is almost double. This means that whilst you are together in Australia sooner, your non-AUS partner can't work for almost a year and is left sitting in the house while you are out to work bored out their skulls! Applying offshore is cheaper and quicker. If the AUS partner needs to return to Australia for a particular reason then the non-AUS partner can go visit on a tourist visa, but needs to leave the country for the visa to be granted.

Unless there is an urgent need for both of you to be in Australia in the next 4-5 months (or leave the UK in the same time period), most people tend to go down the offshore route rather than onshore.

Guest Chantel
Some people do it that way. the drawback is that the application fee is more expensive and the processing time is almost double. This means that whilst you are together in Australia sooner, your non-AUS partner can't work for almost a year and is left sitting in the house while you are out to work bored out their skulls! Applying offshore is cheaper and quicker. If the AUS partner needs to return to Australia for a particular reason then the non-AUS partner can go visit on a tourist visa, but needs to leave the country for the visa to be granted.

Unless there is an urgent need for both of you to be in Australia in the next 4-5 months (or leave the UK in the same time period), most people tend to go down the offshore route rather than onshore.

Hello,

thank you. You just confirmed my concerns. :cute: I think we will do it offshore. Are you Australian or the partner of an Australian? How's the process been for you? Any confusing bits?

Guest GeorgeD

I'm British and my wife is an Australian PR (not AUS citizen - but will be in a few weeks!) I don't think confusing is the word...laborious possibly, but read the Partner Migration Booklet 1 over and over again and it will all become clear! If you are married, have no medical issues and no major police record then it is straightforward but a little time consuming. There are lots of people ont his forum who have been on exactly the same road as you, so there are plenty to give advice and help.

Guest Chantel
I'm British and my wife is an Australian PR (not AUS citizen - but will be in a few weeks!) I don't think confusing is the word...laborious possibly, but read the Partner Migration Booklet 1 over and over again and it will all become clear! If you are married, have no medical issues and no major police record then it is straightforward but a little time consuming. There are lots of people ont his forum who have been on exactly the same road as you, so there are plenty to give advice and help.

Excellent! :cute: how long has it taken you? are you in Oz now?

Guest GeorgeD

It took a couple of months to prepare the application (getting other people to write statutory declarations was the worst bit! They need to be witnessed and getting friends to go to a solicitor in the UK was painful!) Processing time was 4 months...exactly the published timescale at the time. I believe the current processing time is 4-5 months, but Australia House in London can confirm this. Believe this tiemscale...you won't be "lucky"

yes, I've been in Australia since around October 2010. It seemed so stressful at teh time, but looking back on it, it really wasn't all that difficult.

Guest Chantel
It took a couple of months to prepare the application (getting other people to write statutory declarations was the worst bit! They need to be witnessed and getting friends to go to a solicitor in the UK was painful!) Processing time was 4 months...exactly the published timescale at the time. I believe the current processing time is 4-5 months, but Australia House in London can confirm this. Believe this tiemscale...you won't be "lucky"

yes, I've been in Australia since around October 2010. It seemed so stressful at teh time, but looking back on it, it really wasn't all that difficult.

:yes:Glad it has all worked out for you and you are now able to continue with the rest of your lives. The statutory declarations bit is the bit that has also confused me the most...do our friends and families have to write statements about our relationship like we have to, or is it just a centence they have to write nd does the whole thing have to be done in front of a solicitor? do our personal statements have to be done in front of a solicitor? and did you include wedding photos and that sort of thing?

Many, many thanks

Chantel

Guest Chantel

Sorry, just to add, how many friends or family or both need to do this? I have read over the booklet, just a little confused! Thank you :)

Hi Chantel - I know just how you are feeling....for me too !! one question leads to another, then I think of another.....and then usually another just as I am trying to go to sleep !!

Its great to get advice on here though isn't it ?? I think its definitely two statements at least, but I've read people putting more than that in and I am unsure as well.

Hopefully someone will let us know.

Also, would statements from aussies have anymore 'weight' than ones from uk friends ?

:yes:Glad it has all worked out for you and you are now able to continue with the rest of your lives. The statutory declarations bit is the bit that has also confused me the most...do our friends and families have to write statements about our relationship like we have to, or is it just a centence they have to write nd does the whole thing have to be done in front of a solicitor? do our personal statements have to be done in front of a solicitor? and did you include wedding photos and that sort of thing?

Many, many thanks

Chantel

The statutory declaration is done on an official form (form 888 see link attached http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf). It has specific questions that need to be answered so that should provide all the guidance. Note that only Australian citizens can provide an official stat dec. If you are struggling to find 2 Aussie citizens to do this or if you want a little extra to support your application you can also get non Aussie friends/family to write a letter. My fiance's (British) mum wrote a letter saying how long we'd been together and how we got along, that we were looking forward to a new life in Australia etc. Also included a letter from one of our English friends. These letters were in addition to the stat decs done by my parents (as I'm the Aussie).

The personal statements you two write do not need to be witnessed by a solicitor. We typed ours up and signed them, that was it. Did roughly a page each.

Guest Chantel
Hi Chantel - I know just how you are feeling....for me too !! one question leads to another, then I think of another.....and then usually another just as I am trying to go to sleep !!

Its great to get advice on here though isn't it ?? I think its definitely two statements at least, but I've read people putting more than that in and I am unsure as well.

Hopefully someone will let us know.

Also, would statements from aussies have anymore 'weight' than ones from uk friends ?

I have just read 'backtoadelaide's response which is really very helpful. My problem is, my father is Australian and my mother is English, I was born in Oz, but my mother lives here and I never met my dad, I have aquantences in Australia from my last visit, but that was back in 1998 so, although they would probably do the declarations, they haven't yet met my husband or been to our wedding or anything like that. Let me know how you get on and maybe we can help each other. Are you the Aussie in your relationship?

Guest Chantel
The statutory declaration is done on an official form (form 888 see link attached http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf). It has specific questions that need to be answered so that should provide all the guidance. Note that only Australian citizens can provide an official stat dec. If you are struggling to find 2 Aussie citizens to do this or if you want a little extra to support your application you can also get non Aussie friends/family to write a letter. My fiance's (British) mum wrote a letter saying how long we'd been together and how we got along, that we were looking forward to a new life in Australia etc. Also included a letter from one of our English friends. These letters were in addition to the stat decs done by my parents (as I'm the Aussie).

The personal statements you two write do not need to be witnessed by a solicitor. We typed ours up and signed them, that was it. Did roughly a page each.

Adelaide, You are a super star!!! :D thank you for that. Did your mother-in-law to be have to have her letter certified by a solicitor as well?

You do not have to get statements from non-Australians witnessed by a solicitor. I'm not sure that they have to be witnessed at all but I got mine countersigned by teachers, nurses, civil servants, etc. I submitted five personal statements but I think two would be enough provided they were sufficient to indicate a genuine relationship.

Guest Chantel
You do not have to get statements from non-Australians witnessed by a solicitor. I'm not sure that they have to be witnessed at all but I got mine countersigned by teachers, nurses, civil servants, etc. I submitted five personal statements but I think two would be enough provided they were sufficient to indicate a genuine relationship.

Hello, thank you for that! :cute: this whole part of the process is confusing! I really appreciate the clarity. Are you in Australia now?

Hello, thank you for that! :cute: this whole part of the process is confusing! I really appreciate the clarity. Are you in Australia now?
Yes - I came on a fiance visa and am now serving out my two years as a temporary spouse before I get my permanent spouse visa. The process is annoying and time consuming but it isn't that difficult and is not intended to trip you up. If you're in a genuine relationship you will be OK (unless you are a really naughty person or have terrible health problems) and if the CO needs more information or different information, he or she will ask.

Adelaide, You are a super star!!! :D thank you for that. Did your mother-in-law to be have to have her letter certified by a solicitor as well?

As it states on the information page (first page) of form 888 "in accordance with policy, they should be witnessed or certified according to the legal practices of the relevant country. Failing that, they should be witnessed by a person whose occupation or qualification is comparable to those listed above. This person should sign, date and specify their occupation at the bottom of the statement."

My MIL got hers witnessed by the manager of a real estate branch who had professional qualifications.

Guest Chantel
As it states on the information page (first page) of form 888 "in accordance with policy, they should be witnessed or certified according to the legal practices of the relevant country. Failing that, they should be witnessed by a person whose occupation or qualification is comparable to those listed above. This person should sign, date and specify their occupation at the bottom of the statement."

My MIL got hers witnessed by the manager of a real estate branch who had professional qualifications.

Hi, yeah, I realised after I asked about that that you had very kindly attached the link for the form, which I then read and saw about the witnessing. Thankfully, my MIL is a legal secretary and so we know some good solicitors who are at hand to do all of the witnessing etc... I am very grateful for the help, It would have been sad to draw the process out or be refused based on misunderstanding what we are required to provide. Thank you. :cute:

Archived