Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Chef

Please provide your opinion on shipping my car:

Year of manufacture = 2015

Make and model = JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED MJET II 200 4WD 2184cc

Body type = SUV

engine size and fuel = 2.2l Diesel

Transmission = Auto

Drive type = 4WD

Mileage = 14,600 miles

features = automatic liftgate, satnav, keyless entry, auto stop/start, front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone aircon, leather upholstery

Aircon = yes

realistic UK market value = £17,500

Australian red book value = $33,100 - 36,200

Australian market value = $36,990

Australian city = Brisbane

Many Thanks!

Alex

On 7/30/2017 at 18:35, Alexdtaylor1975 said:

Hi Iron Chef

Year of manufacture = 2015

Make and model = JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED MJET II 200 4WD 2184cc

Body type = SUV

engine size and fuel = 2.2l Diesel

Transmission = Auto

Drive type = 4WD

Mileage = 14,600 miles

features = automatic liftgate, satnav, keyless entry, auto stop/start, front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone aircon, leather upholstery

Aircon = yes

realistic UK market value = £17,500

Australian red book value = $33,100 - 36,200

Australian market value = $36,990

Australian city = Brisbane

Many Thanks!

Alex

The calculator thinks it's about break even, but I would suggest only bringing it if you really love it and want to keep it for a while. Low mileage helps, but Jeeps tend to depreciate relatively quickly here.

• 2 weeks later...

It's alright saying to yourself I'm gonna get x amount for my car when I bring it to OZ but a couple of things to remember base the price on what a dealership will buy it for because if it's worth a few quid people want used car dealership security.

Even with remaining warrenty on a one year old Toyota FJ cruiser motor (bought in OZ) I couldn't sell it in the open market the only people ringing me was car dealers and they dont pay well.

Also if it's a classic your importing there's a good market or was in the boom times. If it's a just a standard motor why would anyone buy it there's  a risk parts may need to be imported.. 

I'd take a standard car to OZ if I planned to run it as long as I could and didn't want to buy a car in OZ. 

Plus if your taking anything like a luxury car BMW they can hit you with a luxury car tax. They base it on what the car originally cost not what it's worth in the UK today or what you paid for it in the UK I. E second hand price.. 

On 8/12/2017 at 19:29, VXRHSV said:

Plus if your taking anything like a luxury car BMW they can hit you with a luxury car tax. They base it on what the car originally cost not what it's worth in the UK today or what you paid for it in the UK I. E second hand price.. 

Just to clarify your last point, customs value is determined by a valuation, and usually works out about 40% or so below market value (this is only for working out your taxes on arrival).

On 02/08/2017 at 00:58, Iron Chef said:

The calculator thinks it's about break even, but I would suggest only bringing it if you really love it and want to keep it for a while. Low mileage helps, but Jeeps tend to depreciate relatively quickly here.

Many thanks for your feedback - sorry for the delay but have been on holiday :)

Hi Iron Chef, tried contacting you on your website but not sure it got through! I have a 100 visa and am moving to the Gold Coast next summer. I have a mk5 golf r32 with 60k miles that is a great car, the normal full version service history, air con etc. The car is a 2006. The same old question but is it worth exporting with me, I have had the car three years. Thanks pal, Andrew.

sorry should have said approx. £8k over here approx. 20000 dollars in aus. Manual. 

Edited by kellief

Hi Iron Chef

Hope you can help us decide ;)

We have 3 cars.

The 1st car is a 2009 modified Fiat ABARTH which is more a track car but is completely road worthy.  I'm not going to put all the spec down, since I don't think this will make much difference.  It's more worth it because of the work done rather than the spec of the car.

The 2nd is another Fiat Abarth 595.  It's a 2014 reg with good spec as its newer.  It has around 20,000 miles with no modifications.

The 3rd is a Citroen DS3, 2014 with hi spec like leather seats and parking sensors etc.  It also has around 25,000 miles.  It has been lowered and the colour has been changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

8 hours ago, kellief said:

Hi Iron Chef, tried contacting you on your website but not sure it got through! I have a 100 visa and am moving to the Gold Coast next summer. I have a mk5 golf r32 with 60k miles that is a great car, the normal full version service history, air con etc. The car is a 2006. The same old question but is it worth exporting with me, I have had the car three years. Thanks pal, Andrew.

sorry should have said approx. £8k over here approx. 20000 dollars in aus. Manual. 

Hi Andrew, sorry I have been flat out in the last couple of weeks with our federal government announcing changes to the import regulations (nothing that affects personal import regulations, I should add). 

It's break even, but might be worth bringing if you're happy with it, mainly because manual R32s are pretty hard to find over here. Great car, as you say, and the last of the V6 bangers before VW went soft and turned them into an AWD GTi.  

5 hours ago, sarah harmer said:

Hi Iron Chef

Hope you can help us decide ;)

We have 3 cars.

The 1st car is a 2009 modified Fiat ABARTH which is more a track car but is completely road worthy.  I'm not going to put all the spec down, since I don't think this will make much difference.  It's more worth it because of the work done rather than the spec of the car.

The 2nd is another Fiat Abarth 595.  It's a 2014 reg with good spec as its newer.  It has around 20,000 miles with no modifications.

The 3rd is a Citroen DS3, 2014 with hi spec like leather seats and parking sensors etc.  It also has around 25,000 miles.  It has been lowered and the colour has been changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Bear in mind you can only bring one car per driver, so unless you have a child that is of driving age and has a licence and is moving here with you, your only other option to bring all three would be to bring the first Abarth over as a track car. If you've thrown a lot of money at the track car, it's worth bringing over only to avoid taking a walloping on what you've spent. If you have to choose, flip a coin for the other two, as they're both roughly the same age and kms. 

19 hours ago, Iron Chef said:

Hi Sarah,

Bear in mind you can only bring one car per driver, so unless you have a child that is of driving age and has a licence and is moving here with you, your only other option to bring all three would be to bring the first Abarth over as a track car. If you've thrown a lot of money at the track car, it's worth bringing over only to avoid taking a walloping on what you've spent. If you have to choose, flip a coin for the other two, as they're both roughly the same age and kms. 

Hi Iron Chef, I dropped you an email last week, not sure if you received it. It was about my SEAT Mii. Would you kindly be willing to provide me with a door-to-door cost please?

Thanks,

DN

Hi Iron Chef

Year of manufacture = 2009

Make and model = Land Rover Range Rover Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8

Body type = SUV

engine size and fuel = 3.6l Diesel V*

Transmission = Auto

Drive type = 4WD

Mileage = 70,000 miles

features =  satnav, front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone aircon, leather upholstery, Rear TV/DVD, Heated rear seats, Heated and cooled front seats, Reversing camera

Aircon = yes

realistic UK market value = £17,000

Australian red book value = $45,000 - $50,000 (although this is an estimate as I cannot find a Vogue SE in Redbook)

Australian market value = $40,000

Australian city = Adelaide

Many Thanks!

Paul

3 hours ago, Smudger88 said:

Hi Iron Chef

Year of manufacture = 2009

Make and model = Land Rover Range Rover Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8

Body type = SUV

engine size and fuel = 3.6l Diesel V*

Transmission = Auto

Drive type = 4WD

Mileage = 70,000 miles

features =  satnav, front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone aircon, leather upholstery, Rear TV/DVD, Heated rear seats, Heated and cooled front seats, Reversing camera

Aircon = yes

realistic UK market value = £17,000

Australian red book value = $45,000 - $50,000 (although this is an estimate as I cannot find a Vogue SE in Redbook)

Australian market value = $40,000

Australian city = Adelaide

Many Thanks!

Paul

Good choice of city, Paul! That makes sense at that money, especially if you plan to keep driving it for a while when you get here.

Dear Iron Chef

Please can you give us your advice on the following car:

Make and model - Fiat Abarth 595 competizone, Hatchback, manual

Year - 2014

Engine - Petrol 1.4

Mileage - 30,000 miles

Features - front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone air-con, leather upholstery, Heated and cooled front seats, blue ime

Air conditioning - yes

UK market value - £8,000

Australian red book value when NEW $38,500

Australian market value - retail $22,000-$24,600

Shipping from - UK

Australian city - Adelaide

Thank you so much

Sarah

14 hours ago, sarah harmer said:

Dear Iron Chef

Make and model - Fiat Abarth 595 competizone, Hatchback, manual

Year - 2014

Engine - Petrol 1.4

Mileage - 30,000 miles

Features - front/rear park assist, cruise control, dual zone air-con, leather upholstery, Heated and cooled front seats, blue ime

Air conditioning - yes

UK market value - £8,000

Australian red book value when NEW $38,500

Australian market value - retail $22,000-$24,600

Shipping from - UK

Australian city - Adelaide

Thank you so much

Sarah

Another Adelaide person! Yay!

Worth bringing over based on those numbers. 

Thank you Iron Chef.

In regards to the other Abarth, and the one car each policy, would we be able to strip the car down into pieces and ship the shell and the rest as bits?  Or is there a way to ship the 2nd car by paying a larger fee of some kind?

Thanks for being there to answer what you have answered time and time again :)

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef - I've an interesting dilemma and would welcome your advice. It looks like the Merc W204 estate was never available in Aus and I have an employer who has offered to import a car. I've got a 2011 W204 350CDI estate with all extras including a panoramic roof. Or: I've got a 1997 S1 Lotus Elise and I can't believe those red book prices are correct for it. The red book price of private trade min $34,400 looks worth shipping the Merc but if we're keeping it in Darwin I could suffer the heat in the 'lise

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef

- year of manufacture: 2011

- make, model & variant: Audi - Q5 S LINE TDI QUATTRO

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc): SUV

- engine size & fuel type: 2.0/Diesel

- transmission: Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc): 4WD

- mileage: 18,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification: Bang and Olufsen, Tinted Windows, Cruise Control, Rear park assist (not video), leather upholstery.

- does it have aircon: Yes

- realistic current UK market value: £15,000

- Australian RedBook value [USED]: AUS$23,000 - $25,800

- Australian market value: AUS$26,888

- which Australian state/city: WA/Perth

Many thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 08:11, DrDougster said:

Hi Iron Chef - I've an interesting dilemma and would welcome your advice. It looks like the Merc W204 estate was never available in Aus and I have an employer who has offered to import a car. I've got a 2011 W204 350CDI estate with all extras including a panoramic roof. Or: I've got a 1997 S1 Lotus Elise and I can't believe those red book prices are correct for it. The red book price of private trade min $34,400 looks worth shipping the Merc but if we're keeping it in Darwin I could suffer the heat in the 'lise

Why not have it both ways! Bring the Merc as your personal import and bring the Elise as a RAWS complied SEVS car. Its more expensive to have the Elise complied as a SEVS (by several thousand dollars) compared to having it complied as a personal import but this way you can bring both cars if you wanted.

I'm a Lotus person but I'd have the comfort of the Merc over the Elise in Darwins heat if you decide to only bring one.

• Like 1

^^^ thanks for jumping in Blake, as you already know I seem to be making trips to Canberra every week at the moment to lobby our federal politicians to open up our importing regulations. So my apologies for not replying sooner, everyone!

On 9/7/2017 at 07:41, DrDougster said:

Especially given your employer's offer, I would bring over the estate. Funnily enough, I have a good friend living in the UK, and this was the exact car he just purchased himself to bring back to Oz later on. As mentioned, the Elise can be complied under SEVS, but compliance is quite expensive ($7-8K last I checked) and the tropical heat of Darwin would mean there are very few days you'd want to be driving around without aircon. So the Elise can be imported, sure, but be aware of the pros and cons before you commit to it.

On 9/27/2017 at 01:43, chrisp909 said:

Hi Iron Chef

- year of manufacture: 2011

- make, model & variant: Audi - Q5 S LINE TDI QUATTRO

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc): SUV

- engine size & fuel type: 2.0/Diesel

- transmission: Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc): 4WD

- mileage: 18,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification: Bang and Olufsen, Tinted Windows, Cruise Control, Rear park assist (not video), leather upholstery.

- does it have aircon: Yes

- realistic current UK market value: £15,000

- Australian RedBook value [USED]: AUS$23,000 - $25,800

- Australian market value: AUS$26,888

- which Australian state/city: WA/Perth

Many thanks

Chris

Based on the numbers you've posted, it's line ball, but given the low mileage, factory options and the fact that the manual was never sold in Australia, I would definitely give it some thought if you like that particular combo.