Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

3 minutes ago, coladuna said:

Hi Ironchef,

We are moving back to Australia in October 2017 and was wondering whether it would be worth taking my car below?

Thanks

- year of manufacture  2013

- make, model & variant Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  Saloon

- engine size & fuel type  6.2L Petrol

- transmission  Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  Rear wheel drive

- mileage  38,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  19 inch wheels, Harman Kardon sound system

- does it have aircon  Yes

- realistic current UK market value  £27,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  $75,200 - $81,600

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $80,000-$90,000

- which Australian state/city  QLD / Brisbane

It's a no-brainer, bring it over. C63s are very popular here.

2 minutes ago, Iron Chef said:

It's a no-brainer, bring it over. C63s are very popular here.

Thanks Ironchef.

I have requested quote through the Ironlady website.

I wasn't sure whether I would lose too much money when I come to sell it due to it being an import as I know imports usually scare peole in Australia and it being quite an expensive car, whether it would be too difficult to sell.

I'm thinking of impotting my 2012 Lexus GS 450h Fsport. (New model) It's on 160km but fully serviced and warranted by Lexus uk  from new. I'm the first owner.

realistic uk price £10-15k

destination freemantle.   a, b or c .

regards

pete

A couple of years ago I asked whether it would be worth bringing my Jaguar XF over, and was told it would be. I thought I'd share my experience with you, briefly. 

The actual process of importing was quite simple and the physical part was not actually very expensive; the various duties and taxes payable in Australia weren't unexpected but were considerably more than the shipping! The only slight fly in the ointment was that the driver who collected my car and took it to the docks picked up a speeding ticket - I wasn't very impressed by that.

Once here, getting the car taken to a local garage for its blue slip was easy enough. There were no problems getting it approved either; the dual speedometer was good enough and the slightly curved wing mirror wasn't a problem even though I thought it might  be.

Things that weren't so good: I had expected that updating the sat-nav to local maps would be as simple as buying an Australian data upgrade for a couple of hundred dollars but it has turned out that I (apparently) need to replace the entire sat-nav unit, at the cost of a couple of thousand. Needless to say I haven't bothered with doing this. Replacing the speedo card was more cost than I could be bothered to incur too - no doubt a back street garage could have done it cheaper than Jaguar's quote but there's a digital speed readout too and I've been fine with that.

And that's about the only problem really.

Now then: I have just decided to sell the car as a trade-in. Red book indicates that a typical XF of similar type and vintage should be around the $30,000 mark as a trade in. Mercedes Benz offered me $12000 since they were apparently under the impression that a) the car was a year older than it is and b) that the odometer was reading 70,000 miles rather than kilometres. Audi had a good laugh at this and offered $25k which bearing in mind the reasonably high kms, no sat-nav, dual speedo and generally being an import, I was quite happy with. So come July, I'll be driving a local car.

Would I import again? I probably would - the experience was on the whole a positive one, with a few surprises with proposed costs that I declined, and gave me two more years with a great car which would cost me a whole lot more to buy over here.

So thank you for the advice!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Impasse said:

A couple of years ago I asked whether it would be worth bringing my Jaguar XF over, and was told it would be. I thought I'd share my experience with you, briefly. 

The actual process of importing was quite simple and the physical part was not actually very expensive; the various duties and taxes payable in Australia weren't unexpected but were considerably more than the shipping! The only slight fly in the ointment was that the driver who collected my car and took it to the docks picked up a speeding ticket - I wasn't very impressed by that.

Once here, getting the car taken to a local garage for its blue slip was easy enough. There were no problems getting it approved either; the dual speedometer was good enough and the slightly curved wing mirror wasn't a problem even though I thought it might  be.

Things that weren't so good: I had expected that updating the sat-nav to local maps would be as simple as buying an Australian data upgrade for a couple of hundred dollars but it has turned out that I (apparently) need to replace the entire sat-nav unit, at the cost of a couple of thousand. Needless to say I haven't bothered with doing this. Replacing the speedo card was more cost than I could be bothered to incur too - no doubt a back street garage could have done it cheaper than Jaguar's quote but there's a digital speed readout too and I've been fine with that.

And that's about the only problem really.

Now then: I have just decided to sell the car as a trade-in. Red book indicates that a typical XF of similar type and vintage should be around the $30,000 mark as a trade in. Mercedes Benz offered me $12000 since they were apparently under the impression that a) the car was a year older than it is and b) that the odometer was reading 70,000 miles rather than kilometres. Audi had a good laugh at this and offered $25k which bearing in mind the reasonably high kms, no sat-nav, dual speedo and generally being an import, I was quite happy with. So come July, I'll be driving a local car.

Would I import again? I probably would - the experience was on the whole a positive one, with a few surprises with proposed costs that I declined, and gave me two more years with a great car which would cost me a whole lot more to buy over here.

So thank you for the advice!

Thanks for sharing your experience Impasse.

Did you have any problem getting insurance?

A few things that makes me hesitate taking my C63 with me is not knowing how difficult it would be to sell at a reasonable price due to it being a personal import and difficulty of getting insurance, especially due to it being a high performance car.

Your experience with sat nav is a bit off putting as well. Apart from sat nav, did the radio etc all work ok? Not sure if you have DAB, but if so, did this work ok?

Thanks

21 hours ago, coladuna said:

Thanks for sharing your experience Impasse.

Did you have any problem getting insurance?

A few things that makes me hesitate taking my C63 with me is not knowing how difficult it would be to sell at a reasonable price due to it being a personal import and difficulty of getting insurance, especially due to it being a high performance car.

Your experience with sat nav is a bit off putting as well. Apart from sat nav, did the radio etc all work ok? Not sure if you have DAB, but if so, did this work ok?

Thanks

Yeah, the DAB and ordinary radios and everything else works perfectly. Insurance has not been a problem; I think I only found one of the main insurers who wouldn't touch an import and premiums have been roughly what I'd pay in the UK I think.

I would definitely check with Mercedes Benz about the sat-nav before going; Jag here got in touch with the UK to get the scores on the doors so you can cut out the middleman, perhaps. Frankly even for my car I'm still not convinced that it *isnt* just a case of changing the data but I've given up arguing. All Jaguar would say is that the specification of Australian cars is different to their U.K. Cars which did surprise me, I admit. Perhaps Mercedes will be a bit more global in spec and there's no harm asking.

As for value, I would expect to pay less for an import myself (unless it was something highly exotic) but I would still expect your car to be worth it; Mercedes Benz is very popular over here.

2 hours ago, Impasse said:

Yeah, the DAB and ordinary radios and everything else works perfectly. Insurance has not been a problem; I think I only found one of the main insurers who wouldn't touch an import and premiums have been roughly what I'd pay in the UK I think.

I would definitely check with Mercedes Benz about the sat-nav before going; Jag here got in touch with the UK to get the scores on the doors so you can cut out the middleman, perhaps. Frankly even for my car I'm still not convinced that it *isnt* just a case of changing the data but I've given up arguing. All Jaguar would say is that the specification of Australian cars is different to their U.K. Cars which did surprise me, I admit. Perhaps Mercedes will be a bit more global in spec and there's no harm asking.

As for value, I would expect to pay less for an import myself (unless it was something highly exotic) but I would still expect your car to be worth it; Mercedes Benz is very popular over here.

Thanks.

I've done some man-maths and I just can't see how I would benefit from taking it with me.

I could sell it here and get about £27-29k for it which equates to A$46-49k. Taking it with me and getting it on the road will cost roughly £10k or A$17k. That means the car has cost me in the region of $63k-66k. In Australia, similar cars cost around $80-85k.
Assuming I get 20% less than market value due to it being an import, that means I will only break even as I can only get $64-68k for it.

Both insurance and rego seems more costly in Australia too. I pay around £370 a year for insurance in the UK but I tried getting a quote from Allianz (tried few others but they won't even give a quote online due to the high performance nature of the car) and they quoted me $1400.

It just seems like a lot of effort for not much gain. I'm also located in Aberdeen so it will probably cost me more to get the transported over to the nearest port.

Iron chief

I'm thinking of impotting my 2012 Lexus GS 450h Fsport. (New model) It's on 160km but fully serviced and warranted by Lexus uk  from new. I'm the first owner.

regards

pete

Hello Iron Chef,

Advice please for bringing the following vehicle

- year of manufacture  2014

- make, model & variant  Hyundai i30 Hatchback 2014  1.6 CRDi Blue drive Active 5d

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  hatch

- engine size & fuel type  1.6l diesel

- transmission  manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  FWD

- mileage  30,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  

- does it have aircon  Yes

- realistic current UK market value  £8,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  $14,000 - $15,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $17,000

- which Australian state/city  SA

On 4/30/2017 at 9:09 AM, Thomapg said:

Iron chief

regards

pete

Wow you've certainly been using it! The combo of high mileage and hybrid may scare off potential buyers here, but I can understand if you want to bring it, given you know it has been well looked after.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:16 PM, MAMIL said:

Hello Iron Chef,

Advice please for bringing the following vehicle

- year of manufacture  2014

- make, model & variant  Hyundai i30 Hatchback 2014  1.6 CRDi Blue drive Active 5d

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  hatch

- engine size & fuel type  1.6l diesel

- transmission  manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  FWD

- mileage  30,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  

- realistic current UK market value  £8,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  $14,000 - $15,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $17,000

- which Australian state/city  SA

Sell it in the UK if you can get GBP8,000 for it. You have chosen the best state to move to, but it can be expensive bringing cars to SA.

4 hours ago, ruflix said:

Apologies for cross-posting, see below, I was advised to post here ... 

I wondered if you had any advice @Iron Chef?

*patiently joins the back of the queue ?*

Welcome :) if your employer will pay for the shipping, then sure give it some thought. If you have to pay for the shipping yourselves, I'd advise selling it in the UK.

• Like 1

Hi Iron Chef - hope the deadly man flu is abating:

Advice please for bringing the following Porsche Boxster in great condition:

- year of manufacture  2006

- make, model & variant  Porsche Boxster S

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  convertible

- engine size & fuel type   Petrol 2687cc

- transmission  auto (tiptronic)

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  RWD

- mileage  17,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  detachable hard top

- realistic current UK market value  £8,500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  $26,700 - $30,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $39,500

- which Australian state/city  Gold Coast

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, Iron Chef said:

Welcome :) if your employer will pay for the shipping, then sure give it some thought. If you have to pay for the shipping yourselves, I'd advise selling it in the UK.

Thanks that's kind of how I feel about it. I am still waiting to hear. I'm half feeling that I'd be happy for them to say no, it makes it any easy decision and there's all the paperwork hassle but then we could do with a few thousand more dollars towards a house as we settle into Victoria. Anyone know how long it takes for the import licence to come through? I signed up just in case. We're off in just over 2 months...

4 hours ago, DeCarnys said:

Hi Iron Chef - hope the deadly man flu is abating:

Advice please for bringing the following Porsche Boxster in great condition:

- year of manufacture  2006

- make, model & variant  Porsche Boxster S

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  convertible

- engine size & fuel type   Petrol 2687cc

- transmission  auto (tiptronic)

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  RWD

- mileage  17,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  detachable hard top

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  $26,700 - $30,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $39,500

- which Australian state/city  Gold Coast

I'm presuming it would be a second generation model, correct? (working from memory here). It looks like a pretty safe category A based on those numbers. It'll fit in perfectly on the Gold Coast ;)

4 hours ago, ruflix said:

Thanks that's kind of how I feel about it. I am still waiting to hear. I'm half feeling that I'd be happy for them to say no, it makes it any easy decision and there's all the paperwork hassle but then we could do with a few thousand more dollars towards a house as we settle into Victoria. Anyone know how long it takes for the import licence to come through? I signed up just in case. We're off in just over 2 months...

Allow 4 weeks for the import approval to arrive.

Hi Iron Chef, 

My wife, 2 kids and I are moving from the UK to Australia in early 2018 and I we are trying to weigh up whether its worth taking our beloved camper van, the details of which are as follows. The question, is whether it's worth it?

- year of manufacture  2003

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Movano Camper Self Conversion

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  Van

- engine size & fuel type  2.2 Diesel

- transmission  Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  Front

- mileage  112,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  Fully kitted self converted camper

- does it have aircon  No. Could cost £1.7k to fit apparently.

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  Not sure because it's difficult to value

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $30,000 (assuming air con is fitted)

Any advice you might have would be much appreciated! :-) 

Thanks,

Ricky G

7 hours ago, Ricky G said:

Hi Iron Chef, 

My wife, 2 kids and I are moving from the UK to Australia in early 2018 and I we are trying to weigh up whether its worth taking our beloved camper van, the details of which are as follows. The question, is whether it's worth it?

- year of manufacture  2003

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Movano Camper Self Conversion

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)  Van

- engine size & fuel type  2.2 Diesel

- transmission  Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)  Front

- mileage  112,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification  Fully kitted self converted camper

- does it have aircon  No. Could cost £1.7k to fit apparently.

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)  Not sure because it's difficult to value

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)  $30,000 (assuming air con is fitted)

Any advice you might have would be much appreciated! :-) 

Thanks,

Ricky G

Ok it makes sense to bring it over, as the prices of an equivalent here would be much higher. From memory, the Movano is a rebadged Renault, is it not? In which case parts won't be a problem here. A couple of caveats - 1) the cost of shipping will rely heavily on whether or not you can get it into a container, 2) no aircon could be problematic in Qld - it may be cheaper to fit aircon to the back section than to fit to the factory air-con (obviously bearing in mind you wouldn't be able to use it while you were driving if you took that option, but it's something to consider).