Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Great combo, I would bring it over, for sure. Yes, this is for personal import scheme :)

Here goes. Hope I get this right.

2012 (MY13)

Audi A5 Coupe (19" RS Wheels)

S-line (Black Edition)

2.0TD

6 Spd Manual

2WD

24000 miles / 38600 KM

Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth, Bang & Olufsen speakers, HDD Sat Nav, Black embossed S Line Leather seats, iPod/iPhone dock, Active Distance Cruise Control, Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Assist, Aircon Climate Control, F&R visual parking sensors (no camera), hydraulic handbrake.

U.K. Market Val £26,000

Red book (can't find)

Aus mkt val around $60,000

QLD

This is for personal import scheme right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Lady

Here goes

2007 BMW X5 (e70 Model)

3.0 Diesel se

6 Speed Automatic

Permanent 4wd

125000 miles

Uk market value £12-£14k

Aus. Market value $25 - $29k

Panoramic roof, sports suspension, 20" wheel package, pro sat nav, Bluetooth prep. side steps, napa leather, wood trims

Shipping via container

Thanks in advance

Worth considering because of the options you've put on it, in my opinion - fits category B.

Hi Iron Lady

Here goes

2007 BMW X5 (e70 Model)

3.0 Diesel se

6 Speed Automatic

Permanent 4wd

125000 miles

Uk market value £12-£14k

Aus. Market value $25 - $29k

Panoramic roof, sports suspension, 20" wheel package, pro sat nav, Bluetooth prep. side steps, napa leather, wood trims

Shipping via container

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iron Lady,

You've fed back previously however would really appreciate an up to date opinion on importing my audi to Australia;

Audi A6 Avant S-Line 2L Diesel 7 Speed Auto

Daytona Grey

30K Miles (by the time we leave)

Heated Seats, Air Con, BOSE Upgrade, Full MMI Navigation Bluetooth, Lighting Pack

Realistic UK £20000

Aussie Private Price valuation from redbook : 56000

Sydney, NSW

• 2 weeks later...

My car details below....thanks!

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Audi A4, FSI S Line

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

Avant / estate / wagon

- engine size & fuel type

2.0l petrol

- transmission

Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

Front wheel

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

- realistic current UK market value

£3950

- Australian RedBook value

$9,800 - $12,000

- Australian market value

$13,000

- which Australian state/city

Sydney

My apologies for the slow replies, it has been a hectic few weeks!

Hi Iron Lady,

You've fed back previously however would really appreciate an up to date opinion on importing my audi to Australia;

Audi A6 Avant S-Line 2L Diesel 7 Speed Auto

Daytona Grey

30K Miles (by the time we leave)

Heated Seats, Air Con, BOSE Upgrade, Full MMI Navigation Bluetooth, Lighting Pack

Realistic UK £20000

Aussie Private Price valuation from redbook : 56000

Sydney, NSW

Definitely category A at those numbers. Lots of great options on it too! I'd happily drive it myself!

Hi, we have a Ford Galaxy 2007 air con, panoramic roof, 140k miles, diesel 2.0 tdci. leather seats.

£6,000 uk can't find any in Aus to compare prices

Ok theoretically you could get most of the mechanical parts here through your local Ford dealer, but aside from that it would be an orphan and not of much interest to Ford lovers here. I recommend selling it over there.

My car details below....thanks!

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Audi A4, FSI S Line

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

Avant / estate / wagon

- engine size & fuel type

2.0l petrol

- transmission

Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

Front wheel

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

None

- does it have aircon

Yes

- realistic current UK market value

£3950

- Australian RedBook value

$9,800 - $12,000

- Australian market value

$13,000

- which Australian state/city

Sydney

It's pretty borderline, from a financial perspective. One of those "bring it if you love it" scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, not sure if you are still doing this, or whether you can help us, as we are thinking about taking our car from Australia to the UK, not the other way round.

Its a 2010 Toyotal Corolla Ascent, manual, air conditioned, electric windows, 90,000 kms, Brand new worth $20,000, resell value $9,300-10,500.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, similar to the poster above I would love your opinion. We have a Hyundai i30, 1.6 manual, 50,000km. New it is $20k, rough value now, $9,500 to $11,000. we too are moving from Aus to the UK.

Also, read a bit about the tests that have to be done when the car gets to the uk and know that at a minimum we will need a rear fog light installed. Wonder if you could shed any more light on these test and any other modifications the car may need?

Thank you,

We took our Ford Taurus to the UK in 2006 and did everything ourselves an absolute nightmare

we got the speedo and had that put in ,fog light was put on the bumper but when we took it to the test centre he did not like where it was and we had to take it and get it cut into the bumper !

Then he said the windows were too dark they were no different form anyone else's but with a winge he eventually passed it

2013 when we took our Captiva back we let someone else do the work ie the speedo as it had fog lights

I think there are two tests an Iva or an SVA depending on if the car is of a type that is type cast in the EUn

Edited by Patphillips47

HI, not sure if you are still doing this, or whether you can help us, as we are thinking about taking our car from Australia to the UK, not the other way round.

Its a 2010 Toyotal Corolla Ascent, manual, air conditioned, electric windows, 90,000 kms, Brand new worth $20,000, resell value $9,300-10,500.

As a general rule, it's not advised to take a car back, from a financial perspective. If you love the car, then sure, it can be done. If it's rare or collectible, then definitely worth considering. In the case of a Toyota Corolla, best to sell it in Australia before you go :)

Hi, similar to the poster above I would love your opinion. We have a Hyundai i30, 1.6 manual, 50,000km. New it is $20k, rough value now, $9,500 to $11,000. we too are moving from Aus to the UK.

Also, read a bit about the tests that have to be done when the car gets to the uk and know that at a minimum we will need a rear fog light installed. Wonder if you could shed any more light on these test and any other modifications the car may need?

Thank you,

See above. Not advisable in your case. The two main mods are fitting a fog light (in the i30 they actually have the facility to fit them into the existing tail lights, it's just a matter of fitting a switch) and changing the speedometer to mph.

We took our Ford Taurus to the UK in 2006 and did everything ourselves an absolute nightmare

we got the speedo and had that put in ,fog light was put on the bumper but when we took it to the test centre he did not like where it was and we had to take it and get it cut into the bumper !

Then he said the windows were too dark they were no different form anyone else's but with a winge he eventually passed it

2013 when we took our Captiva back we let someone else do the work ie the speedo as it had fog lights

I think there are two tests an Iva or an SVA depending on if the car is of a type that is type cast in the EUn

^^spot on. Cars that are EU certified are far easier to test in the UK, although any Australian-delivered car has most of the EU markings these days anyway as we're moving towards harmonisation with EU regulations.

Hi there Iron Chef,

We weren't planning on taking or car, but I found this thread, and seems it might be worthwhile to take from the UK to Australia.

We have a 2010 Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 Diesel. Seems that the second hand price here will be about AUD $10k to sell, but would cost about AUD $30-40k to replace like for like.

Does it make sense to ship this?

Many thanks

Ferrets

Hi there Iron Chef,

We weren't planning on taking or car, but I found this thread, and seems it might be worthwhile to take from the UK to Australia.

We have a 2010 Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 Diesel. Seems that the second hand price here will be about AUD $10k to sell, but would cost about AUD $30-40k to replace like for like.

Does it make sense to ship this?

Many thanks

Ferrets

It does make sense, but maybe not for the reason you may think! We never got the Accord estate here, so when the time comes to sell, you can bet a Honda buff will snap it up fairly quickly, I would have thought.

Hi,

looking for your heal ironlady, I have a 64 plate bmw 330d, m sport, touring.

is it worht me taking it to oz?

Thanks

Paul

I would think so, yes. You'd take a walloping on depreciation selling it in the UK at this stage. Good combo, it would be a rare (and desirable) combo here.

I would think so, yes. You'd take a walloping on depreciation selling it in the UK at this stage. Good combo, it would be a rare (and desirable) combo here.

cool, it's also an xdrive.

is there anyway of finding out what the car is worth, i may not emigrate until 2018, so it would be 4 years old but i presume it should still have good value in it? also i heard of some changes happening in 2018 regarding importing, would this affect the residual re sell value?

any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Most utes are worth bringing as they cost a bundle over here!

How is that the case? It seems to me that it's worth £16k in the UK ($32k)...import costs will far exceed $4k plus you're left with a less valuable, harder to insure, harder to sell, personal import in Oz. Therefore, purchase in Oz at $36,800 seems the better choice. Am I missing something?

Edited by Wirephobia

Ugh this is what happens when I write fast answers late at night.

To answer the first part, I should have tagged on the end of it that it depends on how long the car will be owned for in Australia once it arrives, as cars (and utes in particular) tend to depreciate at a much slower rate here. I do factor that in when working out whether it's worth it or not. Obviously the longer it's owned, the better the option to bring it over becomes.

What I missed in my haste was that tabitha10's car is a 2.5 litre turbodiesel rather than a 3.0 litre which is standard in Australia for the current model, so it may be a deal breaker for a potential buyer when the time comes. In other words, probably only worth bringing if you love it.

Ugh this is what happens when I write fast answers late at night.

To answer the first part, I should have tagged on the end of it that it depends on how long the car will be owned for in Australia once it arrives, as cars (and utes in particular) tend to depreciate at a much slower rate here. I do factor that in when working out whether it's worth it or not. Obviously the longer it's owned, the better the option to bring it over becomes.

What I missed in my haste was that tabitha10's car is a 2.5 litre turbodiesel rather than a 3.0 litre which is standard in Australia for the current model, so it may be a deal breaker for a potential buyer when the time comes. In other words, probably only worth bringing if you love it.

I love it.......so gonna keep it.