Do Ozzies really think like this?

thewebweazel

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I'm amazed at those who have never seen these - I saw two on Saturday alone, and I wasn't particularly looking for them

Only been here 3 months and must have seen over a dozen such sentiments on car stickers. They're so frequent it's to the point I'd question the observation of those who haven't seen any

I was involved in a strange conversation between two of my work colleagues in the car on the way to work. One was born and bred country WA bloke, probably a handful of generations in Australia, the other was an aboriginal girl, and I was sat in the back. The bloke was having a rant about all the immigrants coming over and taking jobs, the girl was trying to hint without words that he should shut up, because I was sat in the back. He said, 'oh Lauren, yeah she's pommie, she doesn't count'.

I have found that vast majority of aussies to be totally accepting of english people coming over to work and don't seem to label us with the term 'immigrants'. They don't seem to like Asians and black people. One of our friends was from Bangladesh and he got it really badly at work, people calling him a black b****rd and he just shrugged it off, totally used to it. But the worst example was when a Chinese girl was trying to walk past a group of Aboriginals, they were so aggressive towards her and said the most awful things, coming just short of physically touching her. I didn't know what to do in that kind of situation. Just goes to show that racial tensions still run very strongly here and it's hard not to notice them.

I must say I'm amazed at those who have never seen these - I saw two on Saturday alone, and I wasn't particularly looking for them

Only been here 3 months and must have seen over a dozen such sentiments on car stickers. They're so frequent it's to the point I'd question the observation of those who haven't seen any

Yes, but I live in Tasmania and we're a bit odd.:biggrin:

Maybe if I travel in the more-likely-to-be-redneck areas I might see them.

I live in the Greenest voting booth area in the Greenest voting electorate in Australia...so that may explain their absence around here.

See these stickers, people in Tshirts, etc all the time, its a free country and if they want to think that way they can. I would hate to see a time when people in Australia were frightened to say what they think and be as pc as it is in Europe.

People who do this are a minority of Australian people.

We cannot make people like people or legislate for it.

I have said many time in many posts, who of us has invited a new migrant to their home in the UK or here in Aus, no-one ever answers that one lol.

I have said many time in many posts, who of us has invited a new migrant to their home in the UK or here in Aus, no-one ever answers that one lol.

Must have missed it the first time. I have..................at least 12 takers (families).......................mind you..................they were all Poms, and, being partial to a bit of a whinge myself, I thought it might make for decent conversation :wink::biggrin:

Must have missed it the first time. I have..................at least 12 takers (families).......................mind you..................they were all Poms, and, being partial to a bit of a whinge myself, I thought it might make for decent conversation :wink::biggrin:

Ha ha, so many platitudes, depends which foot the boot is on.

Guest SupportPants
I received a friend request on FB a good while ago from a person that I do not know from Adam, the only reason that I accepted the request was that he is my Namesake (very nearly) and that there are not many of us around (only 2 on FB). Anyway he turns out to be an Australian and I suspect a bit of a Bogan. So I suppose it was not a big shock to me when I saw his Australia Day Status post see below:

RedNeckOZ.jpg

I actually felt a bit upset for a few seconds, and then I wondered if this is the way that Ozzies think, there seems to be quite a few examples on the web of this xenophobic behaviour and I wonder whether Australian's know how much damage is being done to their image by posting / displaying these views? Here are some more:

carstickeroz.jpg

FullOz.jpg

This sort of stuff is pretty common - probably more so the further you are from a city. As to whether the Aussies are just as xenophobic as Brits and are just outspoken I don't know - but I do think it's in your face far more - and stuff that would be considered blatant racism in Britain goes unchallenged here. Brits get less xenophobia than other nationalities but there is some around - my British hairdresser's kids have been told to 'f*ck off home' at their school and my OH has been told by a would be employer, 'I'd rather hire an Aussie but if I can't find one I'll call you'.

Life as an immigrant - it's bound to happen to some extent and it's healthy to see it. I certainly feel for the immigrants back in the UK having experienced prejudice ourselves.

See these stickers, people in Tshirts, etc all the time, its a free country and if they want to think that way they can. I would hate to see a time when people in Australia were frightened to say what they think and be as pc as it is in Europe.

TBH most of the time people complaining about "PC" is a red herring IMO. "PC" is just shorthand for what is generally socially acceptable in any given society. All societies have social mores, that's part of what makes them societies, and there are things you can and can't say in all of them (unless you want to be met with a barrage of abuse)

Genuine "Political Correctness" only really affects those who work in public service, where there *are* lots of silly rules, no shortage of those here in Oz either (It's notable whenever we got to an event run by the NSW Government that the first thing they have to kick off with is a statement of respect for the land, people and elders of the -blah blah, you get the picture). For most of us it doesn't really affect our lives at all, we can get on with doing what we do, believing what we believe and saying what we want (within reason) much as we always did

The inconvenient truth about free speech is that it cuts both ways - you may be free to say what you want, but so are others then entitled to give their response, even if you don't like it. IME most of those who bang on about the perils of PC don't really want free speech at all; what they want is the "freedom" to say what they want, without actually being challenged or judged for it - that's not a desire for free speech, that's just a desire to live in a society that is closer to your values. Well, tough; I'm all for people being able to think that way, and all for them being able to express it too - so long as they are prepared to be called on it by those who disagree, and/or judged by others who might find their views diametrically opposed to their own. Trouble is, the kind of people who usually do think that way generally aren't prepared for this.....

Absolutely, 100%

I certainly would not want to deny anyone there freedom of speech, I just find it sad firstly that they feel that way and secondly that it is acceptable to say it out loud in such a crass way.

TBH most of the time people complaining about "PC" is a red herring IMO. "PC" is just shorthand for what is generally socially acceptable in any given society. All societies have social mores, that's part of what makes them societies, and there are things you can and can't say in all of them (unless you want to be met with a barrage of abuse)

Genuine "Political Correctness" only really affects those who work in public service, where there *are* lots of silly rules, no shortage of those here in Oz either (It's notable whenever we got to an event run by the NSW Government that the first thing they have to kick off with is a statement of respect for the land, people and elders of the -blah blah, you get the picture). For most of us it doesn't really affect our lives at all, we can get on with doing what we do, believing what we believe and saying what we want (within reason) much as we always did

The inconvenient truth about free speech is that it cuts both ways - you may be free to say what you want, but so are others then entitled to give their response, even if you don't like it. IME most of those who bang on about the perils of PC don't really want free speech at all; what they want is the "freedom" to say what they want, without actually being challenged or judged for it - that's not a desire for free speech, that's just a desire to live in a society that is closer to your values. Well, tough; I'm all for people being able to think that way, and all for them being able to express it too - so long as they are prepared to be called on it by those who disagree, and/or judged by others who might find their views diametrically opposed to their own. Trouble is, the kind of people who usually do think that way generally aren't prepared for this.....

Absolutely, 100%

+1......

This sort of stuff is pretty common - probably more so the further you are from a city. As to whether the Aussies are just as xenophobic as Brits and are just outspoken I don't know - but I do think it's in your face far more - and stuff that would be considered blatant racism in Britain goes unchallenged here. Brits get less xenophobia than other nationalities but there is some around - my British hairdresser's kids have been told to 'f*ck off home' at their school and my OH has been told by a would be employer, 'I'd rather hire an Aussie but if I can't find one I'll call you'.

Life as an immigrant - it's bound to happen to some extent and it's healthy to see it. I certainly feel for the immigrants back in the UK having experienced prejudice ourselves.

I have to say this sort of thing has never happened to me in the UK (being an Immigrant here), and as far as I'm concerned should not be tolerated. If this sort of thing happens to my kids on a regular basis I would be giving the principle a "Visit" and for the prospective employer I would have told him not to bother as I prefer not to work for a racist "bastard"....sorry I mean Boss. I just hope that I don't have to eat my own words when I get to OZ:')

So true, but it does hurt a bit when you are on the receiving end. TBH I would rather live in a society where you can express that you views openly then one where you are being censored, even if I will be receive some abuse but there are limits. The question is, how well would a bumper sticker condeming "Ozzie Rednecks" and their views go down?

Guest SupportPants

Absolutely, 100%

Marvellously inciteful post.

Quote (the webweazel):”So true, but it does hurt a bit when you are on the receiving end. TBH I would rather live in a society where you can express that you views openly then one where you are being censored, even if I will be receive some abuse but there are limits. The question is, how well would a bumper sticker condeming "Ozzie Rednecks" and their views go down?”

I agree with the principal, but I think there is a danger that the minority are more likely to suffer any abuse (verbal and physical). It is much easier to say what you like without any regard for the feelings of others when you are part of a large number, and much harder to challenge when you feel isolated.

Any civilised free society needs to set the bar somewhere and one of the positive aspects of a PC society is that every one knows where that bar is, like it or not. I may be wrong, but I think few people on the receiving end of a racist tirade would complain about the aims of political correctness.

Quote (the webweazel):”So true, but it does hurt a bit when you are on the receiving end. TBH I would rather live in a society where you can express that you views openly then one where you are being censored, even if I will be receive some abuse but there are limits. The question is, how well would a bumper sticker condeming "Ozzie Rednecks" and their views go down?”

I agree with the principal, but I think there is a danger that the minority are more likely to suffer any abuse (verbal and physical). It is much easier to say what you like without any regard for the feelings of others when you are part of a large number, and much harder to challenge when you feel isolated.

I totally disagree. Those that feel "isolated" are often so angry that they don't find it hard at all. If they found it hard, you wouldn't have seen the anger and violence directed at the Pm the other day, and to go back even further to another country, you wouldn't have seen the anger and the violence perpetrated in the Uk by "flying pickets".

Minorities often find it easier to "challenge" as they often don't think of consequences when they are blinded by anger and perceived injustice........................plus the fact that the "saner ones" are often fully aware that they can often get representation (for free) from civil rights lawyers and their ilk just waiting to milk the public purse for all that it's worth.

I think a lot of today's problems (racism/bigotry) stem from the fact that the "mainstream" feel isolated. There is always some "do-gooder" freely available to represent some so-called injustice perpetrated on a minority, whereas the average punter, just trying to get on with his/her life, struggling through daily adversity of unemployment etc (Was gonna say "battler" but it may offend some who have expressed disdain for Aussie terminology.........you reading Dom?) seem to be sidelined for the greater "newsworthiness" of the poor downtrodden minorities.

I totally disagree. Those that feel "isolated" are often so angry that they don't find it hard at all. If they found it hard, you wouldn't have seen the anger and violence directed at the Pm the other day, and to go back even further to another country, you wouldn't have seen the anger and the violence perpetrated in the Uk by "flying pickets".

Minorities often find it easier to "challenge" as they often don't think of consequences when they are blinded by anger and perceived injustice........................plus the fact that the "saner ones" are often fully aware that they can often get representation (for free) from civil rights lawyers and their ilk just waiting to milk the public purse for all that it's worth.

I think a lot of today's problems (racism/bigotry) stem from the fact that the "mainstream" feel isolated. There is always some "do-gooder" freely available to represent some so-called injustice

perpetrated on a minority, whereas the average punter, just trying to get on with his/her life, struggling through daily adversity of unemployment etc (Was gonna say "battler" but it may offend some who have expressed disdain for Aussie terminology.........you reading Dom?) seem to be sidelined for the greater "newsworthiness" of the poor downtrodden minorities.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. My post was not actually in response to recent events, it was the more general trail of posts relating to racist comments and kids at school being told to ‘push’ off back to where they came from. However in the wider scheme of things I do think minorities are easy targets for discrimination, and for that reason I would find it difficult to dismiss the values of political correctness out of hand.

Having said that, there will always be individuals that will exploit a situation for their own ends if the opportunity is there. They exist in all parts of society and these people can attach themselves to any cause, blinded by their own agendas. I just think we have to try to see past them to the real people struggling with the consequences of prejudice.

(Edit- sorry, don't mean to sound patronising, just don't know how to phrase it better)

Guest SupportPants

What a lovely attitude. I hope minority groups suffering prejudice and social injustice can become aware that they are 'blinded by anger' and could get a lawyer to milk the tax payer for them if they were 'sane'.

The problem is that we have too many people practising law these days and as most people cannot afford their fees they have to make work for themselves. I remember when I was working reading in the LIV Journal that there were more lawyers being trained in universities in Australia than all those already working in the profession.

You only have to read the papers daily to see the people bringing cases for compensation for this that and the other.

Gravy train. What is the answer who knows but whilst there is a market and the market is increasing and people see a dollar in everything it will continue.

Was gonna say "battler" but it may offend some who have expressed disdain for Aussie terminology.........you reading Dom?

yeah mate, sorry, been busy at work: setting up a crisis line for Aussie battlers disenfranchised by asylum seekers taking over their moral high ground.

I think a lot of today's problems (racism/bigotry) stem from the fact that the "mainstream" feel isolated. There is always some "do-gooder" freely available to represent some so-called injustice perpetrated on a minority, whereas the average punter, just trying to get on with his/her life, struggling through daily adversity of unemployment etc seem to be sidelined for the greater "newsworthiness" of the poor downtrodden minorities.

Seriously though, that is no way to refer to us 'Ambivalents'

Having said that, there will always be individuals that will exploit a situation for their own ends if the opportunity is there. They exist in all parts of society and these people can attach themselves to any cause, blinded by their own agendas. I just think we have to try to see past them to the real people struggling with the consequences of prejudice.

:notworthy:

Guest guest57588
I have to say this sort of thing has never happened to me in the UK (being an Immigrant here), and as far as I'm concerned should not be tolerated. If this sort of thing happens to my kids on a regular basis I would be giving the principle a "Visit" and for the prospective employer I would have told him not to bother as I prefer not to work for a racist "bastard"....sorry I mean Boss. I just hope that I don't have to eat my own words when I get to OZ:')

So true, but it does hurt a bit when you are on the receiving end. TBH I would rather live in a society where you can express that you views openly then one where you are being censored, even if I will be receive some abuse but there are limits. The question is, how well would a bumper sticker condeming "Ozzie Rednecks" and their views go down?

Like an outspoken Lebanese person at a Cronulla Beach BBQ.

Guest AKA63029

Reference the bumper stickers. I had an Israeli (they're alright once you know them,:wink:) friend in Perth at one time, and all I can say is, if he ever saw one we used to duck for cover behind the seats if we drew up behind the offending car at traffic lights.:shocked::biglaugh:

Guest guest57588

Any civilised free society needs to set the bar somewhere and one of the positive aspects of a PC society is that every one knows where that bar is, like it or not. I may be wrong, but I think few people on the receiving end of a racist tirade would complain about the aims of political correctness.

I completely agree. For me political correctness is just another term for good manners, respect and sensitivity. My awareness of the term really came in the 1980's when established casually racist and sexist views started to be discredited for what they were - offensive, divisive and rooted in the past. It meant that society at large (although by no means everyone) reached some kind of consensus as to what was appropriate in terms of the kind of language people were expected to use. Society having those kinds of expectations of it's citizens was never going to stop them holding prejudices, but it did send out a warning that voicing those prejudices wouldn't go unchallenged.

Archived