Do Ozzies really think like this?

thewebweazel

I received a friend request on FB a good while ago from a person that I do not know from Adam, the only reason that I accepted the request was that he is my Namesake (very nearly) and that there are not many of us around (only 2 on FB). Anyway he turns out to be an Australian and I suspect a bit of a Bogan. So I suppose it was not a big shock to me when I saw his Australia Day Status post see below:

RedNeckOZ.jpg

I actually felt a bit upset for a few seconds, and then I wondered if this is the way that Ozzies think, there seems to be quite a few examples on the web of this xenophobic behaviour and I wonder whether Australian's know how much damage is being done to their image by posting / displaying these views? Here are some more:

carstickeroz.jpg

FullOz.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest57588
I received a friend request on FB a good while ago from a person that I do not know from Adam, the only reason that I accepted the request was that he is my Namesake (very nearly) and that there are not many of us around (only 2 on FB). Anyway he turns out to be an Australian and I suspect a bit of a Bogan. So I suppose it was not a big shock to me when I saw his Australia Day Status post see below:

RedNeckOZ.jpg

I actually felt a bit upset for a few seconds, and then I wondered if this is the way that Ozzies think, there seems to be quite a few examples on the web of this xenophobic behaviour and I wonder whether Australian's know how much damage is being done to their image by posting / displaying these views? Here are some more:

carstickeroz.jpg

FullOz.jpg

Nice of them to add the words 'thank you' at the end of the erm, 'message!' Takes some of the sting out of it!

What's with all the acronyms anyway?. Waaay too complicated. Proper Aussies just shoot you the finger and have done with it!

Lets face it. You are going to get this kind of situation anywhere in the world. I'm sure skilled migrants coming from abroad to the UK have faced similar animosity. Its not just an 'Australian' thing!

David

True but I haven't seen any cars with Bumper stickers like this driving around the UK! Maybe it's just because Ozzies are more outspoken, which in my mind is a good thing. Its still unpleasant though!

True but I haven't seen any cars with Bumper stickers like this driving around the UK! Maybe it's just because Ozzies are more outspoken, which in my mind is a good thing. Its still unpleasant though!

Well I'm a Civil Engineer and have worked on large scale construction projects where you do get a lot of foreign workers, mainly polish and now a lot of Indian and I remember going into the canteen and there were posters up on the walls saying "British Jobs for British workers". I can imagine a few of the polish and indians would have felt it was directed at them. Their situation is no different from ours though.. Just going to another country to try make a better life for their family and self's.

But true, as far as stickers on cars go. I have yet to see that in the UK. Not that I condone vandalism but they are going about things the right way if they want a sharp key scraped along the side of their cars :))

David

I wonder if they feel the same way about the taxes we pay ........................ because they sure are tasty .......... :dull: I have never come across this sort of thing before and hope it is not stereotypical .............. I doubt it really .............. there will always be a minority of people who have grudges against migrants ............ fortunately I am not one of them ................ I see it that as long as they are not scrounging and are paying their way then great .............. live and let live ..................... and all live peacefully together, I am not religious but I think God created the World to be shared ................... and shared it should be ............ rant over ............

Blimey if you had a car sticker like one of these in the UK you'd be arrested and had up for racism!!!!!!!

Spot on ................ not just racism but using foul language, I just wonder what sort of idiots feel it amusing to post such stuff, just hope I don´t meet any of them when I move to OZ or they might find they will be eating their words :wink:

As an Australian immigrant currently living (and working and paying tax) in the UK I have lost count of the amount of times I've heard the line "The *insert nationality here* are coming in and taking our jobs". I've on many occasions had to listen to rants about how taxi drivers nowadays can't speak English or such like, a woman even whispered in my ear once that she was very upset that her daughter was dating, quote: "A black". I think people forget that I too am an immigrant, perhaps because of my skin colour and first language (?). All I am saying is that (unfortunately) racism is everywhere, not just in Australia. True, car bumper stickers don't promote a good picture of the country but please don't think that ALL Australian's are like-minded in that way or that just because a vocal minority have publicised their opinions on the internet that you will come across such views every day in the street.

Guest sh7t man no way

not all aussies think like that--but there are a few who do--a couple of hundred years ago the abboriginals had similar signs in there caves about europeans-they where ignored--same advice in 2012 is the best way forward i feel:daydreaming:

not all aussies think like that--but there are a few who do--a couple of hundred years ago the abboriginals had similar signs in there caves about europeans-they where ignored--same advice in 2012 is the best way forward i feel:daydreaming:

My thoughts more or less, if we let them know we are annoyed / upset they will do it all the more, it is a bit like bullies..... just ignore them .............. eventually they will get the message that no one give´s a rat´s ass about their silly comments, if they see that they are goading us they will do it even more ............. I know it isn´t nice, but just leave them to it, it takes a certain small minded person to behave in such an uncultivated and ignorant manner, and we on PIO are neither uncultivated or ignorant ........

Guest sh7t man no way
My thoughts more or less, if we let them know we are annoyed / upset they will do it all the more, it is a bit like bullies..... just ignore them .............. eventually they will get the message that no one give´s a rat´s ass about their silly comments, if they see that they are goading us they will do it even more ............. I know it isn´t nice, but just leave them to it, it takes a certain small minded person to behave in such an uncultivated and ignorant manner, and we on PIO are neither uncultivated or ignorant ........

most aussie ive met have been salt of the earth type love shoe--they mostly speak as the find--if your not use to this attitude it can be slightly intimidating--but with me im preety full on,and most of the time intimidate them--which can lead to some real fun time when grog is involved

most aussie ive met have been salt of the earth type love shoe--they mostly speak as the find--if your not use to this attitude it can be slightly intimidating--but with me im preety full on,and most of the time intimidate them--which can lead to some real fun time when grog is involved

I think this hits the nail on the head. Australians tend to be far more direct than us (mostly) quietly reserved British! It doesn't necessarily mean they're in the wrong but they can sometimes seem a little egocentric as a nation.... but then that is their right I suppose. Don't get me wrong I am very aware of being a guest in this country and do not wish to offend anyone but this thread seems to relate quite well with another running at this moment!

I should be OK then :wink:

I think this hits the nail on the head. Australians tend to be far more direct than us (mostly) quietly reserved British! It doesn't necessarily mean they're in the wrong but they can sometimes seem a little egocentric as a nation.... but then that is their right I suppose. Don't get me wrong I am very aware of being a guest in this country and do not wish to offend anyone but this thread seems to relate quite well with another running at this moment!

I find it totally depends on the demographic and the person. Many Australians will tend to avoid creating a scene and will tell you they like something but then never go back. Others will be blunt. Same goes for the British. Some reserved and many others absolutely direct.

I don't get why Aussies would get annoyed at Brits and others migrating to Australia, when really they've only been there a couple hundred years, so surely if anyone should be annoyed it's the Aborigines?

I remember when I was travelling in Oz how patriotic they are about their country and how they go on about how great it is all the time, which isn't a bad thing of course, but I did laugh when watching a DVD and selecting the language I had to select 'Australian' as there was no 'English'. Found that a bit much really lol

I don't get why Aussies would get annoyed at Brits and others migrating to Australia, when really they've only been there a couple hundred years, so surely if anyone should be annoyed it's the Aborigines?

I remember when I was travelling in Oz how patriotic they are about their country and how they go on about how great it is all the time, which isn't a bad thing of course, but I did laugh when watching a DVD and selecting the language I had to select 'Australian' as there was no 'English'. Found that a bit much really lol

You probably have no idea how often we hear this line. It in itself is quite rude and patronising....you're not as bad as the FI or FO brigade though ;)

Not trying to be patronising at all. What's the answer though? Likewise, I don't get why Brits get so annoyed at people coming to this country to work and live. History is all about immigration. That's what makes our country the way it is. It's not their fault our government can't manage money properly. What have the Romans ever done for us...etc.