How do you get accurate quotes?

ozindublin

Hi guys,

I've started to ask for quotes, have decided which furniture to take, but have no idea how many boxes will be packed. I'm sure I won't know until all boxes are packed! so how do you get accurate quotes? is the minimum 20ft? can you use less and pay less?

I've decided just to take our dining table & chairs, matching side table & tv cabinet. TV's... then the rest will be boxes of personal effects. I'm being quoted for 20ft container... I reckon most of our clothing will fit into our suitcases too!

Is it possible to get the boxes, pack, then get quotes finalised?

Just wondering!!!

thanks.

Its best to get them out, they will look at what you want to take and then they'll tell you how many boxes it is - its helpful if you can move things together that are going (for eg, we are only taking a few of the books we have, so have moved all the books we want to take to one shelf of our bookcases, then when the chaps came round I pointed to the bookshelf and said 'we are only taking that one shelf' and they said that was 2 book boxes worth. Ditto with kitchen stuff, clothing and so on.

If you pack it yourself it won't be covered by the insurance, if you take theirs out, if you go with third party insurance then any breakables (eg china/glass/etc) won't be covered - and from my quotes we didn't get any reduction in quote for them not packing for us anyway.

With that amount of stuff, you would only be looking for a partial container. It takes longer (about 4-5 weeks) to get there but it's allot cheaper than a full container. I don't know what it costs from Ireland but it's costing me £889 for a partial container. You pay for cubic feet and we are getting 146 cubic feet, which is taking 2 flat screen tellys, 2 double beds, a wardrobe, dresser and 2 bed side lockers, about 6 boxes of ornaments, 2 boxes of books, cd's and dvd's, 2 guitars, 1 amp, 4 suitcases, a box of kitchen stuff, a hoover and 2 sets of golf clubs and a bike.

There is also an AQIS charge for inspecting your stuff when you get there. this can cost $200-300.

Yep, they'll need to pack it for you for insurance reasons. Best way is to get them to come around and quote. If you end up with a full container (which isn't that difficult if you're taking a full house) then it doesn't usually matter if there's a few extra boxes, cos it's all included in the price! (just watch out for the fine print!

When you're comparing quotes, make sure you're comparing the same inventory as well - and make sure they give you details so you can compare their estimations for boxes etc. Because they do vary quite a lot in my experience.

:)

If you pack it yourself it won't be covered by the insurance, if you take theirs out, if you go with third party insurance then any breakables (eg china/glass/etc) won't be covered - and from my quotes we didn't get any reduction in quote for them not packing for us anyway.

i do find this not correct....as this could be referred to the office of fair trading as anti competitive, and thus against the law. ( your local office of fair trading would be very interested in such practices) Please make sure when speaking to shippers ask them to explain this, and to follow it up in writing why they are saying this......... i have shipped a few containers in my time, and have used various maritime insurers and brokers independant. i do recall some previous thread saying thay you will be laible for salvage if the boat goes down......this again is not correct, and it's part of the insurance you can get independant for recovery and salvage in such an event of the boat ummm sinkiing

Most insurances decline to insure boxes against damage if you've self-packed them. They also tend to attract more quarantine attention. I believe there may be insurance companies that will cover you for self-packed boxes - the ones I found only covered these boxes for total loss, NOT for damage.

The additional money you pay for insurance (in my experience) is usually more than the cost of paying for packing. (Plus remember that if they pack, they also provide the boxes which saves you money too!)

Hi there....

Have you tried careline for a quote? we are taking some of our furniture, leaving a lot behind tho as it's a perfect excuse for an oz shopping trip :-)) we are taking consule table, sideboard, tv unit, flat screen (for playroom), bed and matress had just bought them but bed is slatted so headboard going to be the bigest part, bookcase, kids bike, loads of boxes but not sure how many as the guy estimated and if he got it wrong they pay the extra. We are either going to need just less than a half.

I said to him should we box stuff and he brought us some but he said better for them to box breakables etc...for insurance purposes...i just thought us boxing toys etc...would save time but he said thats what they get paid for :-))

Hope this helps

With that amount of stuff, you would only be looking for a partial container. It takes longer (about 4-5 weeks) to get there but it's allot cheaper than a full container. I don't know what it costs from Ireland but it's costing me £889 for a partial container. You pay for cubic feet and we are getting 146 cubic feet, which is taking 2 flat screen tellys, 2 double beds, a wardrobe, dresser and 2 bed side lockers, about 6 boxes of ornaments, 2 boxes of books, cd's and dvd's, 2 guitars, 1 amp, 4 suitcases, a box of kitchen stuff, a hoover and 2 sets of golf clubs and a bike.

There is also an AQIS charge for inspecting your stuff when you get there. this can cost $200-300.[/quote

Hi mrs b...

Did u remember to hoover ur hoover and clean filters etc...guy that gave us quote scared me about hoover :-(( gonna take dyson as the filters etc are easy cleaned but i'm leaving my baggy hoover as it would be a nightmare cleaning.

Xxxx

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move com and please allow me to clarify a couple of points.

Please be assured Insurers will insure all the goods packed into the shipment, be they professionally packed by the removal company or self-packed the the owner. The only difference in coverage is that those goods which are self packed will be subject to the Owner Packed Clause which reads as follows and you find this this clause is standard in most polices for international removals :-

Excluding breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing of owner packed effects, including trunks suitcases and the like. Excluding claims for missing items unless an itemised list is provided to Insurers prior to the commencemnt of the transit.

Obviously, Insurers are charging a premium based on the professionalsim of the remover and their ability to carefully pack the goods to a satisfactory standard, hence the reason they apply this clause for owner packed goods.

There is also an AQIS charge for inspecting your stuff when you get there. this can cost $200-300.[/quote

Hi mrs b...

Did u remember to hoover ur hoover and clean filters etc...guy that gave us quote scared me about hoover :-(( gonna take dyson as the filters etc are easy cleaned but i'm leaving my baggy hoover as it would be a nightmare cleaning.

Xxxx

Ours is just a lift off box at the front which is washable, as are the filters. I'm only taking it cos it doesn't need any replacement bits and hoovers are really expensive over there:smile: xx

There is also an AQIS charge for inspecting your stuff when you get there. this can cost $200-300.

The Aquis charge does not cover any Gamma treatment if they decide your items are not clean !

We had to pay an extra $250 for disposal of some pine cones that we did not pack !

Or they incinerate them for $150.

We payed the $150 and told them to incinerate the Pine Cones or they would not release our container at all.

Then we found out that they incinerated two brand new sealed in there factory vacum packs

Duvets & Covers ! and sheets :mad:

so be carefull what you or your shipping company pack. !

i dont know if this has already been said or not but i requested a few quotes for an approximate size crate. the idea of this was just to get an idea of the price as we dont actually have a crate yet , or a visa, or my ahpra registration, anyway they got back to me with quotes which werent to bad HOWEVER.. since then i have had atleast 2 more reduced price quotes from each shipper trying to get my buisness. give this a go if you have a few weeks to spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wonder Biddy. Who are you using to ship? We have a similar amount of stuff but have been given a really huge quote... Thanks

Archived