Thinking about going home.

ghost

I am smiling to myself whilst reading these posts. I can relate ++++!

My partner and I have just returned from Oz after spending a year there, with the intention of staying. We had good lives over here in the UK, but Australia was an opportunity to do something different and experience new things etc. We made friends over there but as soon as we said we had decided to come home - god it was like opening up the flood gates for a tidal wave of negativity about the UK. I don't think I have ever come across such an opinionated group of people! It was like some of them took it as a personal insult that we didn't 'LOVE IT'??? Very weird. I do think there are a number of people who will 'play the game' for whatever reason, even if they are unhappy with their new life. We liked Australia very much, and had indeed done research, visited many times etc, but we simply missed our life in the UK more. Yes, it has it's problems (where doesn't - so does Oz), but It seems to have more 'omph' and depth than Oz. I didn't notice this when I went for my working holiday a few years earlier. Maybe because I am older now???? And for the record for all those who thought we were mad coming back - we both have found v good jobs too upon our return. Bonus. Yes, it's a bit disruptive, having to buy another house etc, but I know it will all come together in time. Life is what you make it, and when you have good friends etc to laugh with, and support you, encourage and admire what you have done - well thats what I call 'quality of life'. You cannot bottle it, but if you could - I am sure it would be very popular indeed....

had exactly the same response from some. including "you must be mad" & always a story of someone, who knew someone, who had done the same but they came back (to Oz)...

Having returned last August, I realise all that worry & stress of how bad the country was & could a move back work? completely blown out of proportion!

Yes it has been challenging for us because we have been away 10 yrs & have x2 little un's in tow & family at least an hour away - our choice! (my family is split but the kind of family that can call on each other if times are tough. e.g. had one time in oz, where could have done with that! with new baby,toddler, hubby away & me really ill & a limited support base to call upon without feeling I was putting on them, as most were in the same boat with young kids/babies)

the return has started to come together & there is a real sense of peace to be able to feel you can commit somewhere long term, especially for the kids. My eldest has slotted in so well over here, like he's been here all his life. (today dropped him off to school & he was greeted by x2 of his chums & they all gave each other hugs when they saw each other!)

Was easy to move him from Perth but couldnt dream of moving him now, would be far harder!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I feel a bit more content now, and it's nothing in particular it's more that 'enigma' type thing. It's funny actually as my partner and I are also taking better career paths with more opportunities. I reckon when you do something as big as moving to another country (and I can only imagine how challenging this is with children), it makes you a much stronger person that does not fear change, but embraces it. We are not afraid to try new things now, and feel the world is our oyster. If I had a pound for everyone who said 'I would have loved to have done that', then I would be very rich. I would reply - well the only one that's stopping you is you!!! Arghhh!!! Also, re the negative comments when you tell people you are heading back, god they simply can't wait to tell you how bonkers you must be, your not gonna find a job, the weather, bla bla. I said to someone once, 'well it's my life, i'll do what the b****y hell I want with it, and I didn't go round telling al the other poms they must stay. It used to make me laugh how much energy would be put into this by others??? Very funny. I am laughing to myself just thinking about it. It shows a very interesting side to people sometimes. One woman told me (who I met at a party and had never met before), that why would I want to return to a country on the verge of civil war??? I had to walk away as I couldn't hide my laugh. Madness or what:eek:.

Wife goes back in April with my eldest daughter , I go back in may with my younger two, we've staggered it based around the eldest's work requirements and the youngests education requirements.

Plus means the mrs gets to sort that end before we get back, and I can sort out here, so everyone's gets it easier either end, if that makes sense.

Yes, makes total sense ~ I wish you & your Family all the very best & I will look forward to reading your updates in April/May+ :yes:

I thought the things in the uk that I took for granted were just things I could do without, but i realise just how that friday nite at the local chatting with uncles and friends from 8pm til around 1130pm was so important, a meet chat drink etc, I thought i could give that 3hr nite out an easy miss, but it was an important part of life, couldnt understand how some said how much they hated the uk and it was a sh*tole without ever living anywhere else. others there were very content with there lives in the uk.

I understand the excitement of peeps coming to Aus and giving it a go but they really will not understand the feelings and appreciate how good the uk was to them til they get here, after all, most have quals earned in the uk to get here. I watch uktv and cringe at some of the locations in uk, other times I love the areas being shown.

So very true ~ Funny how I now miss things I previously moaned about! :embarrassed:

I have to admit I have been thinking about leaving OZ in the last few weeks as well. My partner and I arrived in June 2011 on a temporary business long stay visa. Our situation is that I still have not found a job (apart from a couple of casual jobs which will at least pay our "holiday trip"/home visit), and my partner works in academia (has been doing this before coming to Australia too).

We have not seen anything in Australia yet let alone visited Melbourne properly where we live because my partner is working like a machine while I am sitting at home being bored, without proper friends (I mean I "know" people but wouldn't call them friends), constantly applying for jobs without getting any responses, not allowing myself to do something relaxing because I feel I have to look for jobs 24/7 - especially when my partner is working 24/7. I don't know if you get the picture.......but if you have been unemployed you might understand that being unemployed definitely is not a holiday at all. My partner's current position is not very well paid so we need some money too.

He basically works day and night, sleeps 3 to 4 hours EVERY DAY, looks like a zombie, and the job is not rewarding at all. This is partly due to the fact that he has the biggest workload ever in his department (for whatever reason, which also led the lady to leave the department who got the same job before him as she mentally and physically could not deal with the stress any longer as we found out from someone else).

He also cannot easily come to grips with the Australian "casualness" (which sometimes comes out as rudeness) of the students at his university. And we are both stunned to see how different the mentalities inside the academic world can be because we have never experienced anything similar im Europe where we have both worked some time in academia. Also, we are having a problem with the fact that foreigners (and I know of some other cases) seem to work more and harder (and not only in academia) - please don't be offended! - than some Australians because they are used to being pressured and to producing outstanding work whereas in Australia there isn't such a big divide between poor and rich, for example, and there is no such need to be successful to survive.

I know this might sound very rude and I apologise - but how shall we feel about it? We came here with open minds and spirits, gave up everything in a short time and now this. I am very sad and am not sure what the future will bring.

I have to admit I have been thinking about leaving OZ in the last few weeks as well. My partner and I arrived in June 2011 on a temporary business long stay visa. Our situation is that I still have not found a job (apart from a couple of casual jobs which will at least pay our "holiday trip"/home visit), and my partner works in academia (has been doing this before coming to Australia too).

We have not seen anything in Australia yet let alone visited Melbourne properly where we live because my partner is working like a machine while I am sitting at home being bored, without proper friends (I mean I "know" people but wouldn't call them friends), constantly applying for jobs without getting any responses, not allowing myself to to something relaxing because I feel I have to look for jobs 24/7 - especially when my partner is working 24/7. I don't know if you get the picture.......but if you have been unemployed you might understand that being unemployed definitely is not a holiday at all. My partner's current position is not very well paid so we need some money.

He basically works day and night, sleeps 3 to 4 hours EVERY DAY, looks like a zombie, and the job is not rewarding at all. This is partly due to the fact that he has the biggest workload ever in his department (for whatever reason, which also led the lady who got the job before him could not deal with the stress any longer as we found out from someone).

He cannot easily come to grips with the Australian "casualness" (which sometimes comes out as rudeness) of the students at his university. And we are both stunned to see how different the mentalities inside the academic world can be because we have neve experienced anything similar im Europe. Also, we are having a problem with the fact that foreigners (and I know of some other cases) seem to work more and harder - please don't be offended - than Australians because they are used to being pressured and to producing outstanding work.

I know this might sound very rude and I apologise - but how shall we feel about it? We came here with open minds and spirits, gave up everything in a short time and now this. I am very sad.

Gee that sounds pretty miserable marta. If I was you I'd be thinking of throwing in the towel too. What are the prospects jobwise if you go home, and where is home? I know from speaking to people through work that being a university lecturer (in this case, at Deakin Uni) is not a very secure existence: most lecturers appear to be employed on a casual basis. What is the difference in mentality that you've experienced?

I've been here over 4 years and you can't give up at the first hurdle- it takes a good few years to establish a new life- for adults as well as children. Sometimes you will be homesick, sometimes you will regret it, other times you will be glad to be here. Australia isn't some magic answer to life's big questions- it's just a place to live- we all go to work, raise families and deal with expensive living, but it holds amazing opportunities for youth. Your kids could actually go to university here for a start. There's high employment. We are close to other amazing places of interest that UK children could only dream of; Asia, NZ, many many tropical islands etc etc. Don't give up yet. Good Luck.

I've been here over 4 years and you can't give up at the first hurdle- it takes a good few years to establish a new life- for adults as well as children. Sometimes you will be homesick, sometimes you will regret it, other times you will be glad to be here. Australia isn't some magic answer to life's big questions- it's just a place to live- we all go to work, raise families and deal with expensive living, but it holds amazing opportunities for youth. Your kids could actually go to university here for a start. There's high employment. We are close to other amazing places of interest that UK children could only dream of; Asia, NZ, many many tropical islands etc etc. Don't give up yet. Good Luck.

to be fair, being unemployed and bored for 9 months is quite a 'first hurdle'. Also it sounds like marta's OH is being given a rough time being over worked and over stressed. What's the bloody point of moving to Australia for all that grief?

I suppose it comes down to what prospects are looking like elsewhere (ie home, wherever that is). If they're dire then it may be worth knuckling down.

We have not seen anything in Australia yet let alone visited Melbourne properly where we live because my partner is working like a machine while I am sitting at home being bored, without proper friends (I mean I "know" people but wouldn't call them friends), constantly applying for jobs without getting any responses, not allowing myself to to something relaxing because I feel I have to look for jobs 24/7 - especially when my partner is working 24/7. I don't know if you get the picture.......but if you have been unemployed you might understand that being unemployed definitely is not a holiday at all. My partner's current position is not very well paid so we need some money.

He basically works day and night, sleeps 3 to 4 hours EVERY DAY, looks like a zombie, and the job is not rewarding at all. This is partly due to the fact that he has the biggest workload ever in his department (for whatever reason, which also led the lady who got the job before him could not deal with the stress any longer as we found out from someone).

He cannot easily come to grips with the Australian "casualness" (which sometimes comes out as rudeness) of the students at his university. And we are both stunned to see how different the mentalities inside the academic world can be because we have neve experienced anything similar im Europe. Also, we are having a problem with the fact that foreigners (and I know of some other cases) seem to work more and harder - please don't be offended - than Australians because they are used to being pressured and to producing outstanding work.

I know this might sound very rude and I apologise - but how shall we feel about it? We came here with open minds and spirits, gave up everything in a short time and now this. I am very sad.

Cara Marta, I have been following you since we both came to Oz at similar times and have had similar experiences. I just wanted to offer you a hug and whatever you decide to do, I just hope you will put it all down to experience. I haven't found a job yet either, it is so much harder than in Europe when you have an unusual work experience. I hope it works out for you soon, even if it means returning to Europe xxx

Thanks all for your kind replies! That's much appreciated.:yes:

@harpodom:

Well, exactly, that's the point, it's very hard indeed to find a job in academia - anywhere in the world! Obviously it's not the kind of work which makes the world go round.........especially in humanities. I left the world of academia in 2007 in Germany because I could not stand it any longer. The exploitation and the insecurities. I started working in London in a crap job but I did something at all and took it from there and started from the bare basics because I did not have much work experience then.

Why are we here? My partner took the job at uni because we were desparate! It's as easy as that. His job in Italy in academia was not going to be renewed and it sounded like a great opportunity, to be honest, to come and live in Australia (which it certainly is, I mean, to work as a lecturer and this in Australia! sounds like a dream job to us) - even though I would not have a job (again).

You asked where home is. Well, that's a very good question. I don't know actually. I mean, I don't mind living anywhere. I don't have a problem with distances only a fear of flying but that aside I am not homesick or something like that just a bit lonely. My partner and I are used to globetrotting (living and working in different countries not making holiday in different countries), so that's not a hurdle.

But the job situation in Europe is very bad right now. No, no, we will not easily find a job somewhere in Europe right now, that's my feeling.

Well, the difference in mentality at the university here is that the students show no respect for the professor or teacher. They assume they don't need to do anything themselves, everything will be readymade and precooked for them so they don't even need to talk let alone turn up to the lectures and tutorials. They assume they can treat you like you belong to them for free. But when it comes to exams they think they will get the highest grades even though they have not done anything and then they start complaining when they don't get first grades... I don't get it. Nobody in the UK or in Germany or even in Italy would act like this.

@3FatCats:

Grazie molto. Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me. I know you are in a similar situation. And doesn't it suck if you excuse my French to sit at home all day doing nothing worthwhile but at the same time not being able to enjoy yourself?! It's really not ideal. It's a shame you are in Sydney otherwise we could have complained all day long together sitting in a cafe and have some RELAXING moments.....

@meme78:

Hm, I didn't expect to be Australia to be the big answer to the magic questions, in fact we came here because of the job my partner was offered. As to the big questions, well, guess what, this is actually what the job my partner is doing is all about, namely good ol' philosophy.

But this aside, we are not homesick in any way, god forbid, we have lived in Germany, England, Italy, France before so that is not an issue at all.

We don't have kids (for whatever reasons) and I can only travel and enjoy Asia and New Zealand (which are certainly beautiful places!) as long as we have money and time (at least my partner needs to take time off, I have all the time in the world).

It's true we need to adjust and that there will be hurdles, that's for sure, but can you imagine that we are just sometimes very frustrated? I know you didn't want to sound provocative and I appreciate your input and honesty but right now I don't feel I know what to do next.

@all:

Thanks guys, I like being here. On the forum I mean. :-)

I think when people know your on a business visa they sometimes are reluctant to hire you , as they know you are only looking on a temporary basis. Not only that, they think you may leave, start up a competitive business , and steal their customers, and or staff.

We have not seen anything in Australia yet let alone visited Melbourne properly where we live because my partner is working like a machine while I am sitting at home being bored, without proper friends (I mean I "know" people but wouldn't call them friends), constantly applying for jobs without getting any responses, not allowing myself to do something relaxing because I feel I have to look for jobs 24/7 - especially when my partner is working 24/7. I don't know if you get the picture.......but if you have been unemployed you might understand that being unemployed definitely is not a holiday at all. My partner's current position is not very well paid so we need some money too.

He basically works day and night, sleeps 3 to 4 hours EVERY DAY, looks like a zombie, and the job is not rewarding at all. This is partly due to the fact that he has the biggest workload ever in his department (for whatever reason, which also led the lady to leave the department who got the same job before him as she mentally and physically could not deal with the stress any longer as we found out from someone else).

He also cannot easily come to grips with the Australian "casualness" (which sometimes comes out as rudeness) of the students at his university. And we are both stunned to see how different the mentalities inside the academic world can be because we have never experienced anything similar im Europe where we have both worked some time in academia. Also, we are having a problem with the fact that foreigners (and I know of some other cases) seem to work more and harder (and not only in academia) - please don't be offended! - than some Australians because they are used to being pressured and to producing outstanding work whereas in Australia there isn't such a big divide between poor and rich, for example, and there is no such need to be successful to survive.

I know this might sound very rude and I apologise - but how shall we feel about it? We came here with open minds and spirits, gave up everything in a short time and now this. I am very sad and am not sure what the future will bring.

Didn't your husband get the long holidays that go with working in academia? I have a few friends that are teachers and lecturers and they work hard, fair enough, but they also get the advantage of long holidays and all seem to make the most of it.

Didn't your husband get the long holidays that go with working in academia? I have a few friends that are teachers and lecturers and they work hard, fair enough, but they also get the advantage of long holidays and all seem to make the most of it.

sorry but couldn't help laughing at that. Semester breaks are when lecturers actually get a chance to do their work - research - without being interrupted by pesky students. Teaching is in general a minor part of their workload. Lecturers get the same amount of holiday as any other job. 20 days a year.

sorry but couldn't help laughing at that. Semester breaks are when lecturers actually get a chance to do their work - research - without being interrupted by pesky students. Teaching is in general a minor part of their workload. Lecturers get the same amount of holiday as any other job. 20 days a year.

The ones I know must be a strange breed then. I guess you pick your career like anybody else.

@Paul1Perth: Haha that would be very nice indeed but unfortunately that is not how it works in certain areas - at least not on our planet (Melbournia).

The first weeks of the so called holidays are for marking 100 exam papers, each paper 20 pages of written text (no multiple choice questions).

In addition, a lecturer not only has to write his and her lectures (24 each semester), but also has to prepare tutorials, seminars, colloquias, has supervision hours, office hours, administrative responsibilities. The "holidays" are also essential to do some research, publish papers and books, and presents papers at other universities.

One thing i forgot to mention is that while we were around the Rockingham area we didn't see hardly any children, teenagers "playing out" or in the park area's unless they were young enough to be with their parents, I know the heat might be a factor - does this mean they are all inside?

When the fremantle doctor came in the kids should be out! shouldn't they?

Kids are something of a rarity these days and one can only guess they are inside playing computer games and the like. Far too much wrapping the kids up in cotton wool here for my liking. Even know a couple living in the outer suburbs from Denmark, who consider it very strange that it has been commented on that they allow their twelve and thirteen year old daughters to walk to school.

It was different the few years when I was a kid here used to ride my bike to school, as did many others and play outside.

Whether it is a good place to raise kids I'll leave for other to comment as it is not of interest to me, but the facts perhaps speak for themselves.

Perhaps - but if I had to err on one side or the other I would go with having pride in your country and the accomplishments of your fellow countrymen and women. Build things, and people, up rather than tear them down.

Think I would find it a bit depressing otherwise but I do understand why people who are not used to it might find it odd.

I've seen this so called pride things grow rapidly over the years to something a lot of folk barely understand.Look at Australia Day and the Bogan elements out in force. How much some of those folk know much at all about Australia would be debatable.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in stuff that's good, and building things up if they are worthy. I personally baulk at pride in stuff or building stuff up just by virtue of the fact that it's strayan. Credit where credit's due and all vat

Very true. The moron elements do Australia no service. Nor those abroad that try to push Australia down people's throats with actually rather limited knowledge on the subject. Australia is at the end of the day just another country with the good and bad. A bit of maturity on the matter could be a good place to start for those who over do the whole Aussie thing......

I recall your post prior to leaving UK. My other half is German but been here over ten years but it been a tough ride. We have travelled all over Australia and it is less than fifty fifty if we will remain here. It is a hard one as we are debt free live in the inner city, but Perth though, still it is improving over time.

Jobs are hard to find in so many areas. WA is the so called boom state but all I can notice in eleven years is prices passing Europe's, and this city becoming a rip off..As an example the house we purchased has increased 300%..insane.......but so has everything else apart from my salary. And to think how relaxed Australia was back in 96....

I used to work sixteen hours for about five years, some off that on call, but still tough. Much more relaxed now. Pondering our next move. Have thought about Germany as have a place there..... return to England....retire early in South east Asia or Malta? Not quite at that stage yet......but looking at options.

What/where would you go?

@flag of convenience: Haha thanks for recalling my post prior to leaving UK......but I wasn't registered yet when I left the UK which was in 2009.......for Italy! Actually we moved from Italy down here.

Well, I would only advise you to move to Germany when you are in a "secure" profession such as engineering or finance, to be honest, should you be looking for work there. The job situation in Germany hasn't improved that much yet but of course, as your wife/husband (?) is German, you would have the advantage of a lot of social security up there. Also, Germany has a couple of nice areas, that's for sure. It would also be an advantage if you could speak and understand German. I know, most of the people will understand English but alas when you work someplace you need the local language. It's hard sometimes but can be rewarding too in the long-term. Good luck to you both!

@Paul1Perth: Haha that would be very nice indeed but unfortunately that is not how it works in certain areas - at least not on our planet (Melbournia).

The first weeks of the so called holidays are for marking 100 exam papers, each paper 20 pages of written text (no multiple choice questions).

In addition, a lecturer not only has to write his and her lectures (24 each semester), but also has to prepare tutorials, seminars, colloquias, has supervision hours, office hours, administrative responsibilities. The "holidays" are also essential to do some research, publish papers and books, and presents papers at other universities.

But isn't the presentation of papers, publishing, research and the like out of choice? You don't have to do it? You could just as easily have gone off on a couple of weeks holiday.

Kids are something of a rarity these days and one can only guess they are inside playing computer games and the like. Far too much wrapping the kids up in cotton wool here for my liking. Even know a couple living in the outer suburbs from Denmark, who consider it very strange that it has been commented on that they allow their twelve and thirteen year old daughters to walk to school.

It was different the few years when I was a kid here used to ride my bike to school, as did many others and play outside.

Whether it is a good place to raise kids I'll leave for other to comment as it is not of interest to me, but the facts perhaps speak for themselves.

I wouldn't have though inner City Perth would be a lot different from where we live, we are only 30Km or so from you but seems like a different world. My Son cycles to and from school every day, as do most of his mates. The ones that live close enough walk. I don't know anyone who would regard that as being "strange". The secondary school he's in is about 5Km away, so a bike is fine. We have a primary school across the road from where we live and see really young kids walking or biking, without their parents every day.

My eldest has finished school now but he either rode or walked to school when he was there. On the odd occasion we go to take our youngest there are always kids around walking to and from school. Might be a few suburbs where it's dodgy but I wouldn't have thought inner City Perth to be one of them.

Archived