Organ Donor

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Just wondered how many people have registered to be an organ donor, if you haven't registered is this because you don't want to or just that you haven't really thought about it?Do you think that rather than having an opt in system that it should be changed so that you are automatically registered as a donor but you can deregister if you wish.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm with you on this, you should have to opt out of being a donor if you don't want to do it not the other way round !:wink:

It just makes more sense as I am sure most of the ones who haven't registered don't object.

Actually as we are all mad cows are we allowed to donate?

Probably not given you can't donate blood in Aus can you? :(

Unless to another Brit perhaps?

Guest Guest31881

The Red Cross run the blood transfusion service and will not allow blood donation from anyone who lived in the UK during the mad cow episode....

The government run the organ donor service and will accept organs from anyone, even us mad cows....

Guest The Pom Queen
The Red Cross run the blood transfusion service and will not allow blood donation from anyone who lived in the UK during the mad cow episode....

The government run the organ donor service and will accept organs from anyone, even us mad cows....

I suppose as long as we have something worth donating :wink:

I signed up to donate my organs a few months back. Figured, if it comes to it I'm not going to need them!

The only thing I said they can't have is my eyes. Don't know why. I just have a thing about eyes. I want to keep them.

They are welcome to the rest!

I'm not sure about an opt out system. I think its a great idea in principle, but I think like was said before the time and effort and fuss that may be caused by some families kicking off because their loved one didn't opt out may. I say may out-weigh the benefits. Whereas, when someone has signed up, there is no question as to their consent being given.

Guest Guest31881

You cannot give blood if you were RESIDENT IN THE UK BETWEEN 1 JANUARY 1980 AND 31 DECEMBER 1996.

Taken from Red Cross blood donation FAQ page. :wink:

Guest Guest31881
Damn!

Don't they clear it after a certain amount of time?

No they are very strict about it, also if you have had a blood transfusion since 1980 in the UK you are not allowed to give blood.

The ban applies to vegetarians as well as meat eaters,

So unless you are under 16yrs old, and never had a blood transfusion, you cannot give blood.

Guest Guest31881
Don't you mean over 16 :P although it's over 17 in england isn't it?

No, you have to have been born after 1996 for the red cross to have your blood. So those who hit 16 this year will be the first generation to be allowed to give blood.

Age limit in QLD is 16 with parental consent

Guest Guest31881
Ah right gotcha, had a blonde moment there!

Damn my parents for feeding me beef burgers when i was younger :P

When the BSE scare was forcing the price of beef down, I lived like a king for a few months eating best quality beef at a very cheap price and it did me no harm.....:goofy::goofy:

Guest AKA63029

I've been on the list forever Kate, though who the hell would want anything of mine is beyond belief after years of 'abuse'.:frown:

But it is a great idea, there's always someone who needs 'something', even if it is for veins and the like, every little bit helps.:yes:

Guest The Pom Queen
When the BSE scare was forcing the price of beef down, I lived like a king for a few months eating best quality beef at a very cheap price and it did me no harm.....:goofy::goofy:

Matter of opinion :tongue: love you really x

They can have anything of mine that's any good once I'm finished with it.

My father had a cornea graft way back in 1930s. My mother died of kidney disease just before kidney transplants were available. So I have always been very pro organ donation.

I have just found out that I have an eye condition which may end up with me needing someone else's corneas. I'm sure most of us would be very pro donation if we or someone we loved needed an organ.

Its a sad fact that the medics have to ask grieving relatives such a difficult question at the worst possible time. Because of that we have discussed it as a family and we are all aware of each others wishes.

Archived