Organ Donor

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen
Blood and organ donor here and thought I could do the same over there. Oh well just my organs it is.......................probably to a shark or croc :wideeyed:

Or Bex

I could google it, but I'm feeling lazy today - how do we go about getting on the register in Oz?

I'm all for the opt-out system, most people are not on the register due to pure laziness, despite how many different ways there are to opt in nowadays (boots card, drivers license, text a number to SAVE, the actual register and so on....) which is just heartbreaking - with the rise of car safety as well leading to less traumatic deaths (obviously a good thing) there are less possible organs for donations anyway.

Whilst its horrible having a family member die, organ donation should be up to that person, and if they don't bother to opt out then the family members shouldn't have any say in it - perhaps they should have spoken to the person when they were alive about it more and got the person to opt out themselves. Grief does funny things to people and a lot say no to organ donation as part of the immense anger and pain they are (quite rightly) feeling at someone's death - to condemn someone else to death through that misplaced anger though is horrid imho, and horrid for the living relative as well when they look back later and think they could have saved a life, but were quite obviously and understandably thinking about other things at the time - to have an opt out register would take that awful pressure off the family at this horrid time.

Completely agree with Buddysmum about how many people would refuse if they had felt the benefits of it first hand?

I'm not sure about an opt out system. I think its a great idea in principle, but I think like was said before the time and effort and fuss that may be caused by some families kicking off because their loved one didn't opt out may. I say may out-weigh the benefits. Whereas, when someone has signed up, there is no question as to their consent being given.

The thing with opt in (at least in UK) is that next of kin can still overrule your wishes and refuse organ donation.

Guest AKA63029
The thing with opt in (at least in UK) is that next of kin can still overrule your wishes and refuse organ donation.

Never understood this one Snifter. Just so long as the organ request was done with a sane mindset it should be left well alone IMO.

Archived