Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

forget exchange rate fluctuations.

as I've said in numerous previous posts, Australia is not a place which provides value for money in terms of many (ie not all, some are cheaper) goods and services.

Skani's point about bananas and 'biosecurity' highlights beautifully how Australia regards itself as a 'special case', ie doesn't adhere to normal supply and demand patterns. For biosecurity read protectionism

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this true? We were told that the cost of bananas was because of importation costs. Other fruit and veg is happily imported...

Yes, it is true. Not all fruit and veg are happily imported. Each case has to be approved on its merits - it depends on the diseases specific to that product - whether they are already in Australia, how damaging they could be - and also where the product comes from. Oranges from one part of the world which is disease free might be imported, but not from another part of the world which has certain orange diseases.

Skani's point about bananas and 'biosecurity' highlights beautifully how Australia regards itself as a 'special case', ie doesn't adhere to normal supply and demand patterns. For biosecurity read protectionism

If you were a banana grower and all your assets were in your banana plantation and your family for generations had worked that plantation (as many of them have) you would be grateful for the protection of not having your entire livelihood destroyed by an imported disease.

And there are other advantages of strict biosecurity in export income. For example, some countries will accept certain fruit from Tasmania - but not other states - because it is free from certain diseases which exist on mainland Australia.

Some questions that impact on how much you will need are: Where do you want to live, what visa are you coming on, and do you have any school-age kids?

Hi,

I'll be looking for work in Sydney so will need to live in or close to there, up as far as Central Coast if necessary but I don't like the sound of that commute. My wife is Australian so I will be doing a marital visa (or whatever it's called, although I already had this visa about 10 years ago with her but then moved away from Oz to NZ and now Ireland (I'm Irish)).

Our son is 7 years old but will be 8 by the time we get there.

We will be shipping a load of furniture, possibley a car, but will have no money for a deposit on a house so will be renting for a while and hopefully house prices will drop significantly by then.

If we both get the work we want then we should have a fairly healthy joint income, but living on the Central Coast would severly dent my wife's income potential (she's an EA/PA) and in my work (media/tv) is quite specific and there is not a huge supply so it may take me a bit of time to get on my feet...

And I may be gettng off topic so feel free to point me towards a more appropriate thread to spill my guts on ;-)

Cheers.

Is this true? We were told that the cost of bananas was because of importation costs. Other fruit and veg is happily imported...

Someone was telling you porkies...bananas are not imported and prices skyrocketed because the majority of the crop was destroyed....and btw around 97% of fresh fruit and veg sold in supermarkets is grown in Australia.

Whether the banana imports are restricted due to protectionism is currently under debate. Some argue the criteria are so strict to make the hurdles too high to jump, others argue the high level is necessary. From my reading I lean towards it crossing the line into protectionism but I'm no expert though I guess none of us are.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

You should come back to the uk where everything is really cheap, wages are really high, jobs are a plenty, wage rises are massive, petrols really cheap, food prices have actually gone down, beers really really cheap and really really tasty and ........... Well you get my drift.

Seriously though, it's getting tough in both countries and it's impossible to assess fully just how things are, I think there's little difference in overall costs that's what we worked out when we were in Australia.

Guest anitaw

Exactly... I am increasingly feeling negative feelings about this forum. IT IS NOT OUR COUNTRY...( U.K.) The majority of you have not met( or thought of) the Aboriginies. I have, they are amazing insightful people. This is THEIR land and it has been stolen. You are coming as guests so you must be respectful and grateful. Look into The Dreamtime, research their culture. Aboriginies did not invade the UK. Before you all post negative comments please, please dig into the history of the country you want to call home.

Guest guest59177
99c a kg now and guess what...my kids have gone off them....:swoon:

Banana and strawberry shake should be a winner. Of course you wouldn't tell them there's more bananas and less strawberries :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Exactly... I am increasingly feeling negative feelings about this forum. IT IS NOT OUR COUNTRY...( U.K.) The majority of you have not met( or thought of) the Aboriginies. I have, they are amazing insightful people. This is THEIR land and it has been stolen. You are coming as guests so you must be respectful and grateful. Look into The Dreamtime, research their culture. Aboriginies did not invade the UK. Before you all post negative comments please, please dig into the history of the country you want to call home.

Sorry but I don't understand this post, it's not the aboriginals that are ripping off consumers!!

I understand your thoughts on how we took over their land and I use to agree with you 101% until I went to the local camp and saw how they had destroyed one of the most beautiful places in the area. Anyway I must not take the thread off topic as its not about the aboriginal people, sorry all.

Guest guest17301
Banana and strawberry shake should be a winner. Of course you wouldn't tell them there's more bananas and less strawberries :wink:

Banana muffins are basically all I bake...freezer is now full of overipe bananas though....

Guest guest59177
Banana muffins are basically all I bake...freezer is now full of overipe bananas though....

The milkshake won't need any baking... just put in the blender along with milk, if they are sweet enough you won't need to add sugar even, and just press the button. Tada!!!! Oh don't forget the strawberries!!!! Best way of dealing with bananas. And if you can wait till I get the visa, I can come over for the milkshake too :biggrin:

Imports of bananas are banned in order to keep the Australian banana industry viable, disease is used as an excuse imo.

So all that effort and expense by Aqis at Australia's international airports to screen all passengers luggage and destroy food being brought in said luggage is to keep Oz's food industry viable? :eek: I don't think so.

If you were familiar with the havoc caused by biosecurity accidents in this country over the last 150 years you would understand why they are so careful about bringing in anything which might impact the agricultural industry.