Reccie in Feb/Mar > General Stuff & SAT NAV??

Danny&Em

Hello All.

I`m piecing together my reccie for Feb (29th) - Mar (14th) 2012

1st week in Qld - Sunshine Coast

2nd week in Perth - coast N or S ?? .... flights all booked (Emirates @ £2450 for all inc internal - not sure if that good, but hunted for a while... 2 adults 1 nipper)

So.,., any ideas are always welcome,

How have folks go on in their trips.

• Activating Visas?
  • Car Hire?
  • Rentals?
  • And how did you get around - Ive seen this - (inc free shipping) - sat nav for sale or do i buy in a big supermarket?
  • Open Bank Account
  • Transferring Spending Money
  • Medicare (or later)
  • Other Stuff ?????:goofy:

Just trying to take the hassle out of the trip and be as pro-active as poss... (11 month old Callum will need attention no doubt.)

:hug: Cheers all :hug:

Hi

We found it easier to open a bank account prior to coming, its a much simpler process and you can transfer money over ready. When you get here go into a branch to activate your account.

You can normally save a few dollars by hiring a car from a company located just outisde the airport. They collect you, take you to their depot or leave the car in the airport car park for you. Most companys also have sat navs for hire. They are ok but you cant beat an up to date Map book.

You need an adress here for Medicare so i wouldnt bother with that until you have moved here and got a rental.

Hope this helps and lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Cheers.

ok.,., prob wrog place to post but,, banks... any favourable? esp for new migrants? do any hold any incentives?

good info about the car hire.,., dont supoosed you can name any of these can you.,., as for the sat nav.,., i`m prob being a tight a$$ not stumping up the £45 for a new sat nav.... just seemed a too good a deal and wasnt sure if i was just buying a license or software etc?

Medicare will wait.,., if thats the case... THANKS!!

Try No birds in perth for car rental ,They also do sat nav for about $5 per day. Oh NAB dont Have Everyday Charges Go To Their Website Open The account Before You Go, Pick Up Cards In Branch Saves Having Cash In Your Pocket ,Hope this Helps

I think the real name for the "nobirds" company is Bayswater car hire. They seem to have pretty good rates. Sometime you can get deals with the airline you are travelling with on Avis or Hertz. Make enquiries before you come.

If you are travelling a lot and driving in the Cities I would definitely get a sat nav. It's up to you whether you buy one or just rent off the hire company when you get here.

I've travelled quite a bit with work to different cities and have found having a sat nav around Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne to be indispensable. You can find your way round with a map book for sure but being able to type in an address or suburb you want to get to and then just relax and follow the route is totally different. Much safer too and you can take in a bit more of the sites.

I know Perth pretty well but I have a sat nav built into my car and I've used that a couple of times when I've taken my sons somewhere unfamiliar.

Archived