Help planning suprise trip to the UK

Freckleface

Hi

I want to arrange a surprise trip to the UK next year for my OH (Brit who has been in Aust since he was a child). We both love the beach, scuba diving and outdoor activities (4WDing in the Outback etc) and normally spend our holidays either in ASIA, in far north QLD, on tropical islands or in the middle of nowhere with the dingos.

I thought it would be nice to do something different in 2012 and am sure my OH would enjoy visiting the area his family came from (see his old house and school etc) but I’m not really sure what to do apart from that.

Neither of us is interested in the Royal Family or other typical London tourist attractions but we would be interested in experiencing some of the history the UK has to offer outside London especially if that involved beautiful villages that retain their ‘old world’ charm, ancient churches, castles and stately homes. We would also enjoy some of the walks etc the UK is famous for but I am completely open to suggestions. Neither of us is very interested in Europe so we would be looking at things to do and see in England, Ireland and Scotland.

Almost forgot – my OH is an avid Manchester United fan so we couldn’t visit without seeing them play at least once.

I’ve done some research on the Internet but would be far more interested in recommendations from locals (those still in the UK) and ex-locals (those now in Aust).

Anyway hope you can help with some suggestions. Thanks :notworthy:

Guest brummie39

Sounds like fun..

For old world charm, we love Stratford upon Avon .. Shakespeer country.. It's pretty, lovely old buildings, loads of walking to do..

Just a thought anyway.. May not be your cup of tea, but we find it a beautiful part of England.

Guest Gothic Rose

When you say you like Historical things how about some Ancient History such as Avebury Stone Circle & Salsbury Plain, Stone Henge, Cheddar Gorge etc pretty unique. There are Amazing Castles & Architecture throughout the UK so when you decide if you'll be North, South, East or West. Then you'll be able to visit the best ones in the area you choose.

The mountains of North Wales are lovely!

Plus the Olympics will be on in London next year too!! Not sure whether you would want to avoid it or be a spectator???

You can get tours around the grounds of manchester United too

Think we will avoid the Olympics but a tour of Manchester United grounds is a great idea. That would never have occurred to me and he would LOVE it. :notworthy:

London hotels may be more expensive than usual due to Olympics. If you are keen on Man Utd, you could base yourself nearby and tour around. Chester and York are within driving distance and have plenty medieval charm and history (Roman and Viking even). The Lake and Peak Districts are stunning. North Wales will not disappoint, check out Conwy Castle for example (there are others). Honestly, you could spend three months touring and not see it all.... As Rose said, the SW has some of the most spectacular sights, whilst Cornwall and Devon are also superb. Scotland is a whole chapter on its own... You could plan a round the country road trip and stop off to see a limited number of places. I would get a map and start plotting distances etc to see hoe far you can get in your allotted time and take it from there. Oh, and don't forget a day out in Liverpool.... The city has a lot of history, free museums, great pubs, you may be surprised! Can't be persuaded to do an Anfield tour?....

London hotels may be more expensive than usual due to Olympics. If you are keen on Man Utd, you could base yourself nearby and tour around. Chester and York are within driving distance and have plenty medieval charm and history (Roman and Viking even). The Lake and Peak Districts are stunning. North Wales will not disappoint, check out Conwy Castle for example (there are others). Honestly, you could spend three months touring and not see it all.... As Rose said, the SW has some of the most spectacular sights, whilst Cornwall and Devon are also superb. Scotland is a whole chapter on its own... You could plan a round the country road trip and stop off to see a limited number of places. I would get a map and start plotting distances etc to see hoe far you can get in your allotted time and take it from there. Oh, and don't forget a day out in Liverpool.... The city has a lot of history, free museums, great pubs, you may be surprised! Can't be persuaded to do an Anfield tour?....

Naomi - Anfield tour - really? :eek: Wash your mouth out with soap for even thinking it! I would end up divorced (or worse). Sorry but the only thing worse would be a City of Manchester Stadium tour :biglaugh:

If you end up in Manchester, Yorkshire is close by and lovely, as is the peak district. North

Yorkshire moors, west yorkshire (ilkley and otley) are beautiful. If you're in the uk in summer there are lots of adreneline activities you can do, paragliding, sky diving, land rover driving etc.

Also as another person has said, Wiltshire and Somerset are beautiful, with stone henge etc, you also. Can visit Glastonbury tor (& Glastonbury itself), cheddar and the cheddar gorge, very beautiful, nice campsites there, caves and lots of history, and cheese!

Also trains cable good, although they get slated all the time, if you know when you are going to be travelling you can get really good deals, you can book train tickets up to three months in advance on websites like http://www.thetrainline.com and you can chose to pick the tickets up at the station using your debit card, so no need to worry about postage.

Have a wonderfull trip! X

Archived