What salary do you need to live in Brisbane?

mollyandhendrix

Hi, I know this is a bit of a big question but we were wondering how much you need to earn to have a reasonably quality of life in Brisbane? (I know it's probably a difficult question to ask!!).

We have 3 children (2,4 and 5 years) and we would probably want to live in a nice area and have a comfortable standard of living, run two cars and be able to afford a few luxuries. We keep hearing lots about how the lost of living is a lot more over there so we're just a bit worried that if we moved over there we'd be worse off financially. My husband would be the only one working. I know it's very tricky to say but does anyone have any ideas how much he would need to be earning in Aus dollars? Many thanks for your help in advance.:biggrin:

Guest JemGerrard

That depends on how much capital you are arriving with etc etc

I thionk the best thing to do is look at where you are now, locally compared to the average wage, and then see what the average wage is in Brisbane, to see what kind of figure you should be looking at.

For instance at the moment mortgage payments in teh UK are really cheap, theres so many variables it would be hard to say.

For one person working - you really reckon a household income of 70k would suffice, 3 kids 2 cars. No chance in my book.

That would be like existing here on around 30k for a family of 5 with 2 cars, no chance. surely.

I am fascintaed by those in the knows answer on this too.

Hi, thanks forthose replies. We have an income of about £52k at the moment in UK and are looking for a similar lifestyle. If my husband was to earn about 100,000 aus dollars would this be enough? The last thing we want to do is go out there and not be able to afford to get by. We would probably have a bit of savings to take with us but would not want to spend them all incase we come back in a couple of years. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Guest Toomers
Hi, thanks forthose replies. We have an income of about £52k at the moment in UK and are looking for a similar lifestyle. If my husband was to earn about 100,000 aus dollars would this be enough? The last thing we want to do is go out there and not be able to afford to get by. We would probably have a bit of savings to take with us but would not want to spend them all incase we come back in a couple of years. Thanks for your advice in advance.

I have been advised many times on here to multiple by 2.2 so £52k is $114k ...

Brisbane is expensive - at least I think so. What does your husband do for a living? When I arrived in Brisbane it took me ages to find work - they're not ask quick as in the UK, very laid back and take their time employing people. In addition, I had to half my salary here. I was told that as I didn't have an Australian work history I would have to consider changing my expectations. I've been working for 4 and 1/2 years now and am still slightly under what I was earning in the UK doing similar work. Within the next 12-18 months I should be just over what I was earning in the UK (comparable).

You need to note that it depends on the industry however I thought I would walk into a job paying $80,000 minimum (30,000 pounds in 2007) but I had to accept $40,000 to start with.

Going back to cotst in Brisbane, it is expensive when you compare to the UK but you can live OK here providing you don't over-spend. We do a lot of our own entertaining - going to parklands, picinics, public swimming pools, and there are loads of playgrounds for the kids (many of which are free). Several months ago there was an article in the Australian press whcih confirmed that Brisbane was more expensive to live in than London, New York and other cities. For what you would like I would recommend no less than $100,000 - $120,000.

You'll find things pretty 'tight' living on 70k. I would say 100k minimum for the type of lifestyle you are describing.

I've lived in Melbourne before and find Brisbane not as bad in regards to cost of living. I do find Australia expensive in general though.

4 of us live on 92k without mortgage and our kids have been schooled privately. We live fairly comfortably but I wouldn't say that we are "flushed".

We pay $400 extra into superann each week which is about the equivalent of what we receieved in Family tax benefit and carer's allowance...........still making the payments although benfits have halved since kids got older

Depending on your circumstance..............number of kids, salary, if you are on PR you could pocket anywhere up to $500 fortnightly in rental allowance and FTB, if you're on a 457 you can forget it. If on a 457, you can also expect more expenditure via health cover education etc.

Good Luck

That depends on how much capital you are arriving with etc etc

I thionk the best thing to do is look at where you are now, locally compared to the average wage, and then see what the average wage is in Brisbane, to see what kind of figure you should be looking at.

For instance at the moment mortgage payments in teh UK are really cheap, theres so many variables it would be hard to say.

For one person working - you really reckon a household income of 70k would suffice, 3 kids 2 cars. No chance in my book.

That would be like existing here on around 30k for a family of 5 with 2 cars, no chance. surely.

I am fascintaed by those in the knows answer on this too.

Yep, 70k wouldn't cut it with most but I know one PIO member who is managing on that without "struggling". They are on PR, renting, 2 kids, and receive around $500 fortnighly in benefits which makes the difference between a struggle and looking to the future with a smile on their faces.

You'll need as much as your other half can earn. Seriously.... $100K a yr after tax is not much after paying a morg and all the bills with 3 kids. I was earning 75K a yr with 3 kids 15 yrs ago.

3 kids and no second income 2 cars, nice house with pool $125K min before tax a yr in Brisbane.

In the order of $120k would be fine.

Before you start spending all your money, it's also worth deciding how often you want to fly back to the UK to visit relatives, and make sure you build that into your budget. It's all to easy to forget about this, and once you've already bought the cars and picked a slightly bigger house, it's hard to go back and find that spare cash since it's already tied up.

Alot depends on your immigration status. If you come here with PR then you can claim certain benefits for families which will help the family budget if you earn less than approx $150k per annum. If you are on a Visa 457 you may not qualify. Also, if you intend to buy a house here and you are not from the SE of the UK then you may be in for a shock on house prices and mortgage interest rates! We came from Worcestershire and had to double our mortgage to get an equivalent house and because of the high interest rates pay about 2.5 x the mortgage that we paid in the UK. We are living 20km out of Brisbane too so not in the most expensive area! Most everyday items here are more expensive than the UK (eg clothes, cars, electrical goods and food). After 3 years I am still not on the equivalent to my UK salary (using a 2.2/1 ratio which is more realistic). You will also have to factor in more expensive medical costs. There is no set prescription fee or free prescriptions for kids, only a $32 cap per prescription item. Unless you can find a bulk billing doctor you are also usually up for about $30 for a GP appointment. Free dentistry for children is hard to come by. Oh, and there is no 15 hours free childcare for children when they turn 3. You have to pay for any nursery care yourself but you may get some rebates (again probably depends on visa type).

Personally, I would suggest that your husband looks for a salary well above $100k and also tries to get the relocation expenses (if he can get an employer before moving).

Sorry to sound a bit pessimistic but it's better to know the truth about the real costs of living in Brisbane. Having said all this, the day to day quality of life is good here, public transport runs on time and people are generally alot more optimistic about life.

Hope this helps.

If you are coming on a 457 visa, you may read a lot about the tax advantages of the Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA).

This will certainly improve your take-home pay but be warned, it is being abolished for the majority of temporary residents next year so do not base your decision to emigrate on it.

Your main expense is going to be rent, so it all depends what type of house you want, how many bedrooms, where it is and whether you want a pool.

We moved here in February and live in a 4 bed in The Gap with a pool, rent is $900 a week. We run one car. I earn a good bit more than 100k and after 6 months my wife has had to go back to work. My wages were enough to get by one, but nowhere near enough to afford a couple of holidays a year and going out a few times a month.

In my opinion you could probably get by on 100k with 3 kids and 2 cars, but that's all it would be. I teckon you could forget holidays and going out.

Just for a comparison my main outgoings are

3910 - Rent

1200 - Shopping

60 - Phone/broadband

120 - mobiles

225 - electricity/Gas

1000 - Car lease/fuel/maintenance

150 - Go card

You then have gym membership, swimming/tennis/dancing lessons for kids, lunches etc etc.

Quite easily you're up to 7k a month, with the only real way to save being the rent. But we decided if we were going to move 10,000 miles we were not going to put up with a dump with no pool or air conditioning. The rental market is a nightmare.

That's a huge rent. Comes from living closer in I suppose. A 4 bed in my suburb with pool would be 450 to 550.

try searching realestate.com.au for a 4 bed with pool in The Gap/Ashgrove/Bardon/Paddington and you'll see how much it costs. It's way over the budget I had, but one sure way to end up wanting to go back home is to lmove 10,000 miles and live in a dump.

Hi

I earn 200k and with 2300 rent, car, bills, loads of tax, I am left with about 4k a month spare. So, pickup, 9k, bills and left with 4, dont have any kids, missus and three cats. Live in a nice place, dont spend lots on going out, but even with a minimal existance, to live in a nice place in brisbane, you will have to account for at least 6-7k living expenses a month like one of the previous posters mentioned.

To earn that without much change you will need to have a salary of about 120k, but Brisbane is expensive, I live on the gold coast and commute each day so rent is cheaper but it depends on where you want to live. Ignore the 2.2 factoring as they do not take into account a multitude of factors (your expected lifestyle, rental/property prices, car prices, utiilities etc). Work out your take home pay and break it down into your bills and what you would like left over.

So many people emmigrate and dont take the cost of things into account, yes, I love australia, but I have to earn a decent amount to have a good lifestyle and I am by no means rolling in it but families live on a lot less. I think the average australian wage is about 55k and there are people who live on less, but if it were me I would say aim for 140k to give you a 7.5ish k take home.

Sean

try searching realestate.com.au for a 4 bed with pool in The Gap/Ashgrove/Bardon/Paddington and you'll see how much it costs. It's way over the budget I had, but one sure way to end up wanting to go back home is to lmove 10,000 miles and live in a dump.

No dumps where I am mate, and only 15 minutes further out from you.

.... Several months ago there was an article in the Australian press whcih confirmed that Brisbane was more expensive to live in than London, New York and other cities. For what you would like I would recommend no less than $100,000 - $120,000.

Just as a FYI the research was misquoted in that article. The research was not comparing cost of living using local wages in each country... rather it compared how much something would cost an American earning US dollars after converting their money to AUD or GBP. It is a survey produced for American business people. The changes in the exchange rates massively bumped all Australian cities up the rankings without the cost of living needing to change at all.

The rankings did not take wages into account at all so were almost useless for comparing cost of living for people earning local wages in the UK and Australia.

No dumps where I am mate, and only 15 minutes further out from you.

Well where is it then? The whole of Brisbane is a mish mash of stunning newly renovated Queenslanders in amongst ones not touched for 20 years with plastic slats for windows.

As I said, Ashgrove/paddington/Bardon/The Gap will cost somewhere near 900 a week for a nice 4 bed with a pool, to that you could add countless others like Bulimba, Wilston, Ascot etc etc.

Well where is it then? The whole of Brisbane is a mish mash of stunning newly renovated Queenslanders in amongst ones not touched for 20 years with plastic slats for windows.

As I said, Ashgrove/paddington/Bardon/The Gap will cost somewhere near 900 a week for a nice 4 bed with a pool, to that you could add countless others like Bulimba, Wilston, Ascot etc etc.

As an aside, once you leave the inner suburbs and the houses turn to wood and tile they are not called queenslanders any more. They are the plainer post-war wooden houses built for returning soldiers. These houses are cheaper (on average) because they don't have the queenslander pre-war character features.

Apologies if you know all this already but thought I would mention it as some don't read/get told this distinction.

Archived