medicals & pregnancy

Guest mastermind

Guest mastermind

Hi,

We have been requested to undergo medicals by our CO. Since my wife is pregnant with our first born she would like to know whether she can undergo the medicals? Is there a risk involved with the scans they take? What's the best approach?

Thanks,

I am pretty sure that they would need her to have an x-ray. If she is over 12 weeks, they may consider doing it, I think, but whether or not you are willing to take the risk is another matter. The other (maybe better) option is to delay doing the medicals until after baby is born.

Best thing to do might be to phone the clinic where the medicals are done and see what they advise.

Congratulations! Hardest but most rewarding thing you will ever do!

There are rinks involved with having chest xrays while pregnant, considering it is not nessassery for medical treatment. But it also depends on if you are willing to have the chest xray knowing there are risks, and if the person at medical centre is willing to do a chest xray on someone who is pregnant.

CO will wait for medicals to be completed after the baby is born, and you will be able to add your baby to the existing visa application. If you go ahead with the medicals, and your visa is granted, and your baby is not born in Australia - you will need a different visa for the baby CHild 101.http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/child/101/#c

As PP said you should wait until the baby is born. The baby can be simply added to your visa application and also needs a medical so can have his or hers at the same time as you do. You just need to let your CO know what you're doing and they should be able to advise you on the next steps you take.

If I remember correctly you have to send in a change of circumstances form once the baby is born.

We learnt the hard way and are currently forking out another £1500 for a child visa for our second child :mad: because he was born after our visas were granted.

As part of the medicals you have to have a chest xray. If you tell them your wife is pregnant, they will use a shield for protection, but they are pretty clear that it is at your own risk and your wife would have to sign a disclaimer on the medical form that she understands the risks and has elected to have the xray and understand that DIAC would be prepared to wait until after the baby is born and doesn't hold them responsible.

So you can do it, but they are perfectly happy for you to delay medicals until after the birth, so I would do that if I was you. Also as someone else has said, if the visa was then granted prior to the baby's birth, you would need another visa for the baby. If you wait and the baby is born while your application is still in progress, you just inform DIAC of the birth and the baby gets added to your original visa.

Guest nikkidel

I was pregnant when we were asked to have our medicals done. We informed the CO who said they'd put our case on hold until after the baby was born. The doctor we went to said they don't x-ray pregnant women so we'd have to wait.

We had our medicals done when our newborn was 3 weeks old, and it worked out fine as she had to have a medical too.

It's annoying having to wait, but in the grand scheme of things a few more months didn't really make that much difference.