So...Who shipped very little?

cartertucker

So, its off to the local designer outlet to stock up on m&s undies for me, and plenty of stuff for my daughter and hubbie!

Bought new bedding, but just to throw a spanner in the works, apparently the duvets in australia are not the same size as the uk ones. Thats on a different thread!

Ordered some new sandals the other day, goodness, Its gonna be me filling the container with clothes soon!

Donna x

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep I would recommend sevenseas as well- we are shipping 2 mountain bikes and a large flat screen, a pc and other bits- so 3 large bike/telly boxes and 2 tea chests all for £320. Apart from that we are taking 4 large suitcases between us- Im taking my marks dressing gown lol its going to be vacuum packed just like almost all our other clothes/bedding etc.

Good luck everyone x

Glad it's not just me then! I actually comtemplated going to the airport in it!! hehehe along with 3 hats that won't fit it either :biglaugh: d'ya think they'll let me on the plane??!!

yes ladies,

had a quick look at underwear, best get ourselves to la senza!!

I decent bra looks to be around $50...approx £32 yikes! that's not including the pants to match :-(

Thanks for doing the research....Just what I need to see :wink:

But I would probably spend about £25 on a bra anyway, so not a HUGE difference, but I suppose if you have the time, you may as well get a few new ones before you go :yes::wink:

God my heads going to explode!!!:swoon:

Mine too!!! :wacko::goofy:

Dont catch many men worrying about these things I bet!

My OH was the same! I did suggest that I let him know the flight number,time and date and I would meet him at the airport!

It is funny, they are just a different breed. I have been ordering santa presents, writing my christmas cards, buying some birthday cards for my january birthdays today. feel like I am on over drive! Just keep thinking of more jobs to organise!

My husband on the other hand, it relaxing watching tv!!

ok, sorry to go slightly off thread BUT.. pixie just mentioned vacuum packing. Can I just ask is that how everyone gets best use of filling their suitcases?? I never found the vacuum pack thing to be that good when i last tried it ( although granted it was a while ago and may be better now) so i've rolled all my clothes as i heard this was a good method and i seem to of got lots in my suitcase this time!!

Sad question i know but trying to maximise as much space as possible!!

Guest Pixie10

Yeah Stacey its quite big- it does give you the measurements on the website somewhere but to put it in perspective we can fit the PC, 2 17inch monitors and key board etc all bubble wrapped and still have space to fit more in like books or something.

Becki we have had a dry run (ha and you think you are sad lol!) and we fitted masses more clothes in with the large vac pac bags- for us its a no brainer-all towels/bedding etc are reduced down to a few inches- more room for shoes lol!

It is funny, they are just a different breed. I have been ordering santa presents, writing my christmas cards, buying some birthday cards for my january birthdays today. feel like I am on over drive! Just keep thinking of more jobs to organise!

SNAP!!! my xmas heads on overdrive thinking what can i take with me in the suitcases lol! M&S deliver to oz so gonna buy myself a new one:biggrin: My hubby is also sat in fornt of the tv playing the dreaded Call of duty game that come out today, so i wont see him till were ready to fly!:wacko:

Guest Pixie10

Completely agree! OH believes im obsessed with Oz- er no we are actually going in a few weeks so we have to do these things.... oops sorry I have to do these things!! He keeps says saying "relax, everything will fall into place" er yes because im pushing it in lol!!

Ive just had a quote for our flatscreen and two tea chests.. £231 by ship (70days) should it really be that cheap!? not that im complaining.. i dont even know if we have anything worthwhile to bring that would fill the boxes lol

When i read 70 days i thought OMG thats a lifetime, i'd be taking my TV in the suitcase:chatterbox:for the kids of course LOL! But its only just over 2 months:laugh: omg what am i saying a day in the uk without tv is a lifetime, it WILL be different in oz....

Completely agree! OH believes im obsessed with Oz- er no we are actually going in a few weeks so we have to do these things.... oops sorry I have to do these things!! He keeps says saying "relax, everything will fall into place" er yes because im pushing it in lol!!

They are very funny. Completely amazed when Santa drops off our daughters gifts, not really remembering what I have told him WE had bought.

Same with the move, organised insurance, wrote letters to cancel gym membership.... the list goes on! He thinks that thisnwill all just happen, whereas it only happens if we, as in the women do it!!!

In his defence, I am having very little to do with getting the car ready to go, and have left himtosort out the shippers!- saying that I organised the shippers coming round for quotes, he just picked one!

Donna x

Guest VickyMel
Id love to hear from those that shipped very little over....:wubclub:

:chatterbox:

What made you decide not to take much?

Are you happy with your choice?

Anything you wish you had shipped?

How hard (expensive) have you found it to buy almost all things again?

:chatterbox:

We are planning on only shipping over very few items...

Kids toys, a couple of good quality mattresses, a few tvs/games consoles & photos/paperwork :yes:

We did not bring much - it is 5m3 in the end and about 2m3 of this is previous work related and may never be used again but had to come just in case!

We had been living in limbo land of we are going to move somewhere for about 5-7 years prior to moving so we had not been buying anything decent. Had we had decent furniture we would have bought it.

In the end we got quotes from a number of companies and then worked out what the cost of taking an item of different sizes was (:laugh: we are so sad I can't believe I am telling this in public). I was ready to ditch all the books and then OH worked out the cost to ship a book and we realised that if we liked a book we should just take it as the cost to replace made it worthwhile to take.

I think part of the extra cost here thing comes from not knowing where to shop, not being able to wait for the sales, and needing everything now!

We have paid more for bedding etc but now I am more savvy of the shops and where to go I could have got things cheaper.

It also depends on what you will need immediately compared to can you wait for things to arrive - we now have 2 microwaves, beds, kettles etc.

Yep there are things I wish I had packed but most of these are personal things and I didn't know I missed them until now!

Plus there are things I once thought important but have not missed at all!

Pretty happy with the choices.

Are there not deals over there? like at Ikea etc. we lived in a private rented house which was furnished but now we've moved back in with parents for a few months so we wont have any furniture to bring over. We're just hoping to find a furnished apartment for a while and then try and start from scratch once we find somewhere more permanent to stay

We nearly got a 2 and 3 seater sofa on special from ikea at less than $1000.

We have started from scratch and saved up for this - we have bought some items that we really like and wanted and it cost us. But are still using a cardboard box as a coffee table! It is doable.

He wasnt planning on taking them, as really unsure about the cleaning side of things :confused: I wonder if he should though?

If he got a job with a company (rather than being his own boss, as he is here) wouldnt they supply the tools?? :unsure:

OH bought just general tools couple of boxes of them. I cleaned the boxes out really well (still stained) rubbed everything down made sure no soil, wood bits - but still a bit oily.

OKd at quarantine and were marked down as tool boxes on the packing notes.

Also bought a couple of tents - scrubbed everything - oiled or repainted the poles and pegs - have gone through (it took us about a week).

Is that because you dont really use duvets in Australia?....:unsure:

We do in Melbourne :wink: - although I must get a thinner one as the weather is getting warmer and the quilt is now too thick.

I wonder if the airlines will allow us to pack his hawk and trowel into one of our suitcases? Thats another thing to add to my list of things to find out!!

I bought several dodgy items (re quarantine needs and also some tools) in out suitcases and declared them on the forms. I had them all bagged up together so I was just able to pull out the bag and tip it all to the customs official for them to inspect - they did each item one by one no problems.

Stace Tea chest size approximate size 500x500x750 millimetres

Cheers vicky! ive always just stayed with parents and then into a furnished rental so dont really have much to bring. Although i dont have shipping costs i feel a bit sad that i dont really have many posessions to bring! might just bring a few boxes of things, the OH would be very happy just to go with a suitcase lol

Guest VickyMel
When i read 70 days i thought OMG thats a lifetime, i'd be taking my TV in the suitcase:chatterbox:for the kids of course LOL! But its only just over 2 months:laugh: omg what am i saying a day in the uk without tv is a lifetime, it WILL be different in oz....

We bought a TV a couple of weeks ago - been without one since June!

One thing if you get desperate - loads of people here aer switching to flat screen. If you miss your TV while it travelling you can pick an old TV up on the side of the street on bulk rubbish days.

Daves got quite a big tv, 40inch i think and its not old so ive just had a look to see how much it would cost to bring it with us, it was something like £250 for the tv and 2 tea chests, i think that was everything all in but need to read the small print someday soon, i always thought it would be a fortune to even bring a few things, silly me!

If your'e only bringing a few things, it can be worth getting them air-freighted, bit more expensive, but you won't be waiting a couple of months for the rest of the container to be filled before they even think about getting that container on a ship, then waiting for the next ship, and only then does the 6-8weeks of shipping time start. With the quotes, make sure it's a door to door service, or that it at least includes getting things through customs, and ask about extra charges at this end, otherwise you'll end up paying more than you originally thought.

Re: suitcases and vaccuum packing. Absolutely no point. If you properly fill a standard size suitcase, it's going to be overweight anyway. your limiting factor for the suitcases you fly with is going to be weight, not volume.

Guest VickyMel
Re: suitcases and vaccuum packing. Absolutely no point. If you properly fill a standard size suitcase, it's going to be overweight anyway. your limiting factor for the suitcases you fly with is going to be weight, not volume.

And if you are asked to unpack your bags at Customs you won't have a vacuum with you to reduce its size again to get it back into the bags.

We did vaccum pack our king size duvet in our suitcases as it reduced the size considerably and we were bringing 40kgs so it was good to reduce its size. Luckily not asked to unpack it.

Also vacuum packed things some sent by boxes - as they were calculated by size.

Also with clothes, bedding etc that are being shipped, while it may be tempting to vaccuum pack all of them, it just means that there's no soft stuff to pad the more fragile things with, and so the volume you saved by vaccuum packing just gets filled with padding.

Archived